“Hotel Palomar Westwood LA”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #43 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Perth, Australia
“Hotel Palomar Westwood LA”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Palomar is located in a nice part of town, albeit some distance from the action. You definitely need a car and LA driving is easy. We stayed in a suite and the staff had prearranged a framed photo (of our choosing) so when we arrived in our room, our pets were waiting. The restaurant and bar are relaxed and not expensive. My only complaint was the cost of valet parking $35, which after the first night we parked our car 1 block away and it was fine.

Room Tip: Top floor sits under the a/c plant so can be noisy. Choose a room away from Wilshire Boulevard to av...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Svensky,

Thank you for the shout out on Trip TripAdvisor! I'm glad your pets were able to join you, at least in spirit via a framed picture. I'm also glad you enjoyed BLVD.16, we have several new items on the menu and our cocktail list at the bar is one of the best in the city!

Hope to see you again soon!

Albert Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Palomar Westwood and had such a great stay that I'm already planning my next trip back! The staff, especially the valet and Front Desk, were all genuinely polite and helpful. Despite the cold spell that had taken over the city while I was there, the valet treated me as if I were there only customer and always had a smile on their face. Service wise, it's such a nice change from the textbook/standardized questions/responses, etc., you get from staff at larger chain hotels.

The rooms are nicely designed with somewhat of a modern/contemporary pizzazz. I stayed in one of their Double rooms with 2 of my cousins and there was plenty of space for all three of us to move around. The beds were more than comfortable; definitely among the best (if not THE best!) in any hotel I've stayed at! The rooms offer great views of LA, and from our room on the 12th floor we had an excellent view of the LA California Temple (the second-largest LDS Church in the world) as well as the Pacific Ocean!

The hotel is located on Wilshire Blvd. in the moderately-ritzy north LA Westwood neighborhood, a stone's throw away from Beverly Hills and Bel-Air. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and bars in the area, a very nice mix considering the UCLA campus is just a few blocks away and the hotel itself is surrounded by the upscale high-rise apartment buildings. The surrounding area was very quiet during my stay, which was great and much appreciated, but since the university is nearby, I can imagine that it sometimes becomes quite lively.

We never used the hotel's dining facilites, so I cannot comment on the quality of their food. Like all Kimpton's, they do feature a complimentary wine hour from 5-6 PM and hot beverages in the morning. They also have a nice pool and lounge area on the ground floor, right behind the lobby.

Overall, the Palomar Westwood is an excellent hotel and I would definitely recommend it to any and everyone!

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor and on facing the opposite direction of Wilshire Blvd. so that you ca...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Monaco07,

Wow! Thanks for highlighting all of our important features and touch points in your review! I especially appreciate the shout out for our staff, they work so hard to create meaningful connections with our guests and a review like yours tells us we're doing the right thing!

Hope to see you again soon and best regards,

New York
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Staff was phenomenal and friendly. Cool design and comfortable beds. Free wifi and hot chocolate/ coffee bar in the morning were an added touch that made this a fun place to stay. Really impressed with how on top of it the whole hotel team was - from the valet to the cleaning team to the front desk - felt like they were all on top of it. Wine hour also seemed fun even though we weren't able to participate. For the cost, location and overall quality this is a phenomenal value for LA.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Amanda,

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Come again and please join us for wine hour, you'll be so happy you did!

Danville, CA
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Great hotel!
Great rooms!
Friendly Staff - can't do enough to make your stay a good experience.
Pet friendly - hard to believe a hotel this nice will allow pets!
Close to restaurants and shopping.
I recommend Hotel Palomar - Westwood!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim,

I can only assume you traveled with your pet but if not, please feel free to do so in the future. We cater to most animals and understand how important it can be to make our guests feel like all of their family members are welcome at our hotels.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed with our children 2 and 5 years old and we got a great combination of luxury for the grownups and a nice atmospher for the children. We loved the room, the fantastic view and the very kind staff. The coffe in the morning and the wine hour in the evening made it a very nice stay. We highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Liv W
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Liv,

I'm dying to visit your country and learn a little about my Swedish roots but for now, came to see us and appear to have enjoyed your stay which is just wonderful!

Thank you for the kind post and come see us again!

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Kimpton Hotels in general are a lot of fun, but what sets them apart is their truly pet friendly attitude. We arrived at the Palomar in Los Angeles for a short New Year's vacation with our two dogs, one of whom is old and disabled. We were greeted with "doggie bags" consisting of food, biscuits, scooper bags and a bottle of "buddy water" all in a reusable feeding dish. It was really helpful. The room we had was small, but as is typical for a Kimpton, whimsically decorated. I really appreciate that the mini bar is old fashioned (no sensors that charge you if you touch something). I can actually read the ingredients or take a minute to decide if I really want that beer. I also love the animal print bathrobes.

The room was immaculately clean. For those of you without pets, have no fear. Only certain rooms are set aside for pets and if you aren't a pet lover, the hotel is just as friendly. Check in/out was efficient, accurate and pleasant. The restaurant in the hotel was also far above average for a hotel restaurant. We enjoyed a very pleasant, healthful breakfast. The bar has some interesting cocktails on the menu and their is complimentary coffee in the morning, wine in the evening and bicycles available for use. There is no free parking in the area, so be prepared to pay, although the hotel had some good packages with breakfast vouchers and complimentary parking when we were there. Be sure to ask. Its also a good idea to join their loyalty program. It costs nothing and the benefits (free wi-fi, $10 to spend at the mini-bar) are available immediately. In summary, I recommend this hotel without reservation to anyone looking for a fun, laid back, friendly stay in Los Angeles. Only one minor complaint; housekeeping forgot to leave us washcloths one day which was kind of annoying.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RubyAZ12,

Thank you so much for the kind post on TripAdvisor! We are glad your pet felt the Kimpton love and delighted you enjoyed your healthy eating in our restaurant.

Come see again soon and travel safely!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have stayed here numerous times in the past 2 years, and I can honestly say that it is my all time favorite hotel.
The location and amenities are great, but what sets it apart is the comfortable and welcoming atmosphere that is created by a first rate staff. At each and every one of my stays here, the staff has been unfailingly friendly and helpful..Just an all around great choice

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Rimbi1952,

Thank you so much for your loyalty! There are so many options in LA and to hear we're your favorite means the world.

Stop by wine hour or the front desk and ask for me, I'd love to meet you in person!