“Excellent hotel by Westwood” 4 of 5 stars

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Aliso Viejo, California
“Excellent hotel by Westwood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

It's not a bargain hotel, but neither is it exorbitantly priced. I'd say it compares to a Westin or a Marriott, both in price and in quality. I was just here for one Thursday night, and spent only a little time in the hotel but enjoyed the room and amenities!

- Beds/linens: very comfortable! I slept like a baby and woke up feeling more refreshed than I expected for the relatively little sleep I got.
- A/C: never needed to turn this on. I love it when the temperature of a room stays comfortable as is, despite not being able to open windows.
- Noise: My room faced Wilshire, so I was able to hear traffic noise pretty much the entire time I was awake. But, with a comfortable bed and blackout curtains, it didn't interfere with my sleep.
- Water pressure: LOVED this. The shower was nice and strong and the the water took almost no time to heat up. This is one of those little things that I pay particular attention to and love when hotels get this one down.
- Cleanliness: Excellent!
- Parking: Hell no. I read here about the $30 valet (EVERY time you need to park) and said f- that. It only took a little driving in the surrounding neighborhood to find a spot, but it was actually north of Wilshire, which means only the bravest jaywalkers should do what I did. Most of the neighborhood parking is permit-only, so READ the SIGNS.
- Hotel smell: I don't know how else to describe it, but Hotel Palomar does a great job of NOT reminding you with this chemical cleaner smell that you're in a hotel - whether you're in your room, in the hallway, or in the lobby.
Wi-Fi: FREE, as it should be.

Overall a really nice, but brief stay. But for the right price, I'll definitely come back here anytime I can.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face Wilshire if you want to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Nostalgia88,

Glad to hear you slept like a baby! We can always put you on the opposite side to Wilshire BLVD. where you'll see sweeping views of the city all the way to Santa Monica! Bed linens are incredible and can be purchased so let me know if you're interested.

Hope to see you again soon!

Albert Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Indonesian first
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Whenever I head to LA, I make every effort to stay here. Anyone and everyone at the front desk greets me with a warm smile. This time, I was famished and ordered in-room dining because it was mid-afternoon. Again, service with a smile and the selections were gourmet!

I'm usually in town for business: 24-hour turn around trips. If only I could stay longer at the Palomar!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jenny,

I really appreciate the great review and I'm so happy you splurged a bit with our in room dining. For some odd reason we're one of the few hotels in LA that offer it 24/7...anyway, I hope to welcome you back sooner than later so let me know if I can help with reservations!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just returned home to East Coast from short get away to LA. Took my daughter for her 4th birthday to see Debbie Allen's Hot Chocolate Nutcracker on the campus of UCLA. We chose this hotel due to its close proximity to UCLA and familiarity with the Kimpton Hotel Brand. This hotel did not diappoint. Our overall experience was outstanding. We reserved a Vista King Spa Suite since there were a total of 3 adults and one child in our party. The room was spacious, clean and smartly decorated. Upon entering, my daughter was delighted to find a balloon bouquet with several mini gourmet cupcakes and bottles of spring water with a note from the concierge wishing her a Happy Birthday. They also sent up a goldfish for our stay which she promptly named "Goldie". A Wild Child robe was hanging in the closet for her as well. After the first 2 nights, my sister complained about the springs/uncomfortable mattress in the sofa bed, and I noticed that the pocket door dividing the BR from LR was off the hinges. I notified the front desk and we were immediately moved to the Presidential Suite on the top floor, which was well appointed with a huge LR, DR, 2 double beds, 2 BRs, and a sofa bed with full size standard mattress. It was awesome! Once we settled into the new suite, a bottle of wine and chocolates were delivered with a note apologizing for the inconvenience. Needless to say, all of the staff/service was amazing! Everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, and professional with a very caring demeanor. The property is immaculate: a very high attention to detail/cleanliness is evident throughout. We took advantage of the perks like fresh morning coffee and the nightly wine hour. On one night, there was live music in the lobby which was lovely. On the night of our event, the hotel provided complimentary transportation for us which was great so we didn't have to worry about driving/traffic/parking. By the way, we rented a car which we were able to safely park on the street each night in 24 hour free zones with no problems at all. The area is residential, with multiple high end condominum style bldgs. on Wilshire Blvd. Don't miss out on Blvd 16 restaurant: the food was delicious (short rib sliders-yum!), sexy/romantic ambience, creative cocktails and stellar service.
This is now our go to hotel when in LA; highly recommended to all.

Room Tip: Total of 19 floors in hotel; higher floors have great views on either side, Wilshire Blvd or Westwoo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Raemd,

Your review was such a delight to read! It sounds like we hit the mark on all of the things that were important to you and your family. I am so happy you enjoyed the suite and our friendly staff took great care of you!

I hope your daughter took goldie with her and hope you all return someday soon! Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton and please let me know if I can help with future reservations.

Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We came for some R & R and to celebrate our 9yr anniversary and we both knew this was the place to stay! They had a picture of us both and a few other requests, in our room, upon arrival.
They had an amazing fire going in the lobby and we love the Happy hour! The weather was chilly so it was perfect for the Cider and Brandy! Visit their gym...it was wonderful!
We met a great couple of ladies there in the lounge along with a great bartender..Reuben. Great conversations and new friendships forged! This hotel is a must stay when in LA...they know customer service...it's in their blood!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of the back of the hotel...overlooking the homes and neighborhood.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles - Beverly Hills, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Intuitivetouch,

Happy anniversary! We are all about making meaningful connections so whether it's directly with our staff such as Reuben or other guests (sounds like that happened for you) it appears it's mission accomplished!

Don't wait for an anniversary to come see us again and just so you know, we have a great new restaurant in Phoenix called Blue Hound, you should check it out.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has plenty of points of difference including the dogs policy, free evening drinks and morning coffee to top of the great service and wonderful location. The staff were very polite and friendly, the meals very good and location wise (close to Westwood village) it was a great base for 4 nights with the family in LA. Agree with some of the other comments on the air con - when turned on it is very noisy. Overll a great place to stay and I would be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alain,

Thank you highlighting our touch points! The wine hour and morning coffee hour hopefully makes you feel welcomed and creates an opportunity for you to mingle with us as well as other guests.

I am sorry about the AC and if there's anyway you could let me know which room number it was I will send our engineering team to look into it immediately.

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nice, big rooms. A bit run down already. Service is not perfect (laundry was late, invoices not ready). The restaurant ambiance is terrible, but the food quite good. I stayed there for 2 nights, that is enough. BUT: very good value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Afrika200
Dear Afrika200,

It sounds like there were some definite high points in your stay: the great food in the restaurant, nice big rooms and staff. I do apologize if the design of our restaurant was not to your liking...if you have a moment I would love some additional feedback about it?

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a great visit to the Palomar over Thanksgiving with our dog. If you travel with a dog, you know it can hard to find a decent hotel that will accept your pooch. Palomar, on the other hand, has a water station by the front door with a chalkboard greeting all its canine visitors by name. They provide a doggy goody bag when you check in with food, water, treats and poo bags. There is a wonderful neighborhood right behind the hotel for great walks, and a patch of grass close enough to the door for quick late-night visit. Our handsome hound mix loved it, but it probably helped that we couldn't walk 10 feet without admirers giving stopping to pet him.

More generally, the staff was very courteous and responsive. The valets and bellmen were quick and polite and helpful. The location was convenient for us. The rooms were clean and had a modern urban flair -- and there was plenty of room. The bed was firm and restful. We had an ADA room (maybe due to the dog), and the shower was a roll-in affair with a fold-down seat and hand-washer.

Overall, we felt like it was a super value for a very nice hotel. We look forward to going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cusewordsmith,

From one fellow Smith to another...thank you for the great review! I loved hearing about our wonderful staff and how much fun your hound had. Thank you so much for your loyalty and we can't wait to have you back!