“A most gracious host”

GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“A most gracious host”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at the Palomar for 5 days and everyone was unfailingly nice from moment we arrived to when we left for the airport. Was there on work so was great to have a WiFi in the room that worked continuously (at another hotel that I have to log on every 10 minutes or so). The hotel food was really good. Blvd 16 (I think) served a solid selection of food. Especially liked their chilaquiles. And everyone was friendly and helpful. I was waiting for family to pick me up and they were late. Christine in Blvd 16 noticed I had been waiting and suggested I move to the bar to watch the game and get a snack. She procured me chips (not on the menu) and got me something to drink for free. Was nice and definitely took the edge off. Very much recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Matt,

It sounds like our restaurant team took great care of you and many thanks for including that on your review!

Albert Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, FL, USA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was in LA on business and was put up here by my company. The hotel is very nice. The staff were very nice. I had left my telephone charging cable at the previous hotel on this business trip, and the hotel let me charge my phone each night at the lobby so I'd have a phone for business each day.

Dear Orlandotennis,

Thank you for the wonderful review and shout out for how well the staff took care of you! We hope to see you again soon and please let me know if I can help out with reservations.

Rome
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Arriving in LA for my USA trip, I preferred to spend there a night before driving to Vegas.
I was searching for my hotel close to LAX (didn't want to drive for a long time) and well-ranked, so being a Palomar member I went for it.
To be honest, I wasn't impressed.
The hotel is nice, service is good, my room was well appointed, but nothing to die for.
Nothing to complain, but this is not a hotel I will remember for a long time.
Nice position, though: the neighborhood was fine and walking around didn't seem dangerous at all
Funny fact: checking out, valet parking fee (quite high, over 30$) has been charged twice. I travel alone.
"Do you have 2 cars?" "Sure, and I take part in John Woo's movies driving them together using my feet"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fabry73
Dear Fabry73,

I really appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton so thank you for staying with us! I hope your parking charge was cleared up upon checkout, if not please let me know and I will personally handle it and follow up with you.

Ventura, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

On our second stay at the Kimpton Palomar, we left feeling relaxed and taken care of. The hotel itself is modern and well maintained. We arrived just in time for the hosted wine hour - staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and made us feel like we were at a gathering with friends. Check-in was also incredibly friendly and expeditious.

We were upgraded to a Suite and the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom! Nice, spacious, comfortable beds and nicely decorated rooms.

Great location, just 1 mile or so from UCLA and close to Beverly Hills/Century City.

Only complaint is that they haven't quite figured out an efficient valet system during peak hours. Valet staff are very friendly and quick - perhaps just not enough staff to handle peak in/out hours.

All in all, loved our stay and we will absolutely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Meggan M,

What a great review and I'm so glad to hear you were able to enjoy one of our suites!

Thank you for your feedback on the valet, I will certainly make sure we follow up on staffing during peak hours.

Hope to see you again soon!

Killington, Vermont
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This Wilshire Blvd. location is perfect to feel like you are in LA but not really in LA. The staff were all friendly, and pleasant from the valet to the front the desk to the house keeping staff. We are big Kimpton fans and my husband is now part of their Inner Circle. So we were upgraded to a suite on the top floor. The color scheme is awesome with red,white and black. There are peek a boo windows from the bedroom to the bath overlooking the jacuzzi. The bathroom was huge and I love that the lights will go off on their own after a certain amount of time. We had a great desk and living area - it was a very spacious and comfortable room. The hotel has a small pool area which was pleasant with comfy chaises and a nice outdoor fireplace area. The artwork in the hallway off the lobby was worth a look and the wine hour and coffee hour in the lobby are always a plus!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to top floor but this property is not too large so I feel that any room would be fi...
Dear Kelly,

Great review, thank you so much! We are in a perfect spot as you mentioned to be in LA but far enough away from the circus.

We hope to see you again soon and thanks again for the review!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Palomar in Westwood. When we arrived, everyone was so friendly that we were really impressed. The next morning, we awoke to the hotel having no electricity. I was even more impressed with how the staff handled it. They went out of their way to deal with the inconvenience (the power outage was due to the city, not the fault of the hotel). Staff members made repeated trips back and forth to Starbucks to bring coffee and pastries for guests. The concierge repeatedly apologized and gave us a compensation for the inconvenience. We have never seen such good service, and we have traveled a lot

The location is great. Pool is really nice (not too many seats outside of it). But the reason to stay here is that you feel like you are at home and will receive exceptional service from genuinely nice people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ajkumar1981,

Your review about how we handled the city generated power outage really meant alot to our team! If was a tough time and conditions for our guests were certainly not ideal. In this light I think our efforts were noticed and again, I appreciate the shout out.

NJ
Reviewed October 4, 2012

For a LA wedding, this was a super convenient & nice hotel: could walk to church and close to all event locations. We booked a King Spa Suite & were upgraded to Vista Suite with a great view, the upgrade was def appreciated. I had read many helpful TripAdvisor reviews about the hotel, and planned our stay accordingly. A very positive experience and hope to be back!
Here're the major pros & cons (not many):

Pros:
1. Spacious suite & really nice bathroom (though could use more counter space & places to hang extra towels or clothes).
2. Daily NYT, including the weekend's. Do not remember if we choose this preference? It was great to have. There were also other papers in the lobby every morning.
3. Heated outdoor pool: there were plenty of towels and seating, though I expect it'll be much busier during summer.
4. Morning coffee & tea bar: it was very well supplied & well maintained.
5. On Sat evening we got a call about printing Boarding Passes for Sun's flights. This is such a nice reminder service, and it was easy to use the Concierge kiosk to print.
6. Valet service was always prompt & helpful. One day I even asked them to get a relative's car when I didn't have the ticket number, I gave them guest name & car description and that was enough.
There have been a lot of TripAdvisor discussions of the valet daily charge, we used it and felt it's worthwhile. while some relatives chose to park on the streets which have plentiful free parking esp during Sat-Sun.
7. Staff all very helpful & courteous, from Reception/Valet/Housekeeping/restaurant.
8. Fitness room wasn't cramped and had a partial view, very clean & well stocked with towels. BLVD 16's private room(s) were perfect for groups.

Cons:
1. We requested an in-room coffeemaker but it was not delivered in time.
For late sleepers it'd be nice to have a morning hot drink in the room.
2. Business Ctr is not free for Kimton InTouch members.
There is free in-room Wi-Fi for members but sometimes need to use Internet away from room/not via laptop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear FBC01,

Thank you so much for enumerating all the great things about your stay with us!

As for the internet, you would have access anywhere throughout the hotel & restaurant in addition to our business center.

Hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,