Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Rome
“Fair”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Arriving in LA for my USA trip, I preferred to spend there a night before driving to Vegas.
I was searching for my hotel close to LAX (didn't want to drive for a long time) and well-ranked, so being a Palomar member I went for it.
To be honest, I wasn't impressed.
The hotel is nice, service is good, my room was well appointed, but nothing to die for.
Nothing to complain, but this is not a hotel I will remember for a long time.
Nice position, though: the neighborhood was fine and walking around didn't seem dangerous at all
Funny fact: checking out, valet parking fee (quite high, over 30$) has been charged twice. I travel alone.
"Do you have 2 cars?" "Sure, and I take part in John Woo's movies driving them together using my feet"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fabry73
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Fabry73,

I really appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton so thank you for staying with us! I hope your parking charge was cleared up upon checkout, if not please let me know and I will personally handle it and follow up with you.

Albert Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ventura, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

On our second stay at the Kimpton Palomar, we left feeling relaxed and taken care of. The hotel itself is modern and well maintained. We arrived just in time for the hosted wine hour - staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and made us feel like we were at a gathering with friends. Check-in was also incredibly friendly and expeditious.

We were upgraded to a Suite and the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom! Nice, spacious, comfortable beds and nicely decorated rooms.

Great location, just 1 mile or so from UCLA and close to Beverly Hills/Century City.

Only complaint is that they haven't quite figured out an efficient valet system during peak hours. Valet staff are very friendly and quick - perhaps just not enough staff to handle peak in/out hours.

All in all, loved our stay and we will absolutely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Meggan M,

What a great review and I'm so glad to hear you were able to enjoy one of our suites!

Thank you for your feedback on the valet, I will certainly make sure we follow up on staffing during peak hours.

Hope to see you again soon!

Killington, Vermont
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This Wilshire Blvd. location is perfect to feel like you are in LA but not really in LA. The staff were all friendly, and pleasant from the valet to the front the desk to the house keeping staff. We are big Kimpton fans and my husband is now part of their Inner Circle. So we were upgraded to a suite on the top floor. The color scheme is awesome with red,white and black. There are peek a boo windows from the bedroom to the bath overlooking the jacuzzi. The bathroom was huge and I love that the lights will go off on their own after a certain amount of time. We had a great desk and living area - it was a very spacious and comfortable room. The hotel has a small pool area which was pleasant with comfy chaises and a nice outdoor fireplace area. The artwork in the hallway off the lobby was worth a look and the wine hour and coffee hour in the lobby are always a plus!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to top floor but this property is not too large so I feel that any room would be fi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kelly,

Great review, thank you so much! We are in a perfect spot as you mentioned to be in LA but far enough away from the circus.

We hope to see you again soon and thanks again for the review!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Palomar in Westwood. When we arrived, everyone was so friendly that we were really impressed. The next morning, we awoke to the hotel having no electricity. I was even more impressed with how the staff handled it. They went out of their way to deal with the inconvenience (the power outage was due to the city, not the fault of the hotel). Staff members made repeated trips back and forth to Starbucks to bring coffee and pastries for guests. The concierge repeatedly apologized and gave us a compensation for the inconvenience. We have never seen such good service, and we have traveled a lot

The location is great. Pool is really nice (not too many seats outside of it). But the reason to stay here is that you feel like you are at home and will receive exceptional service from genuinely nice people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ajkumar1981,

Your review about how we handled the city generated power outage really meant alot to our team! If was a tough time and conditions for our guests were certainly not ideal. In this light I think our efforts were noticed and again, I appreciate the shout out.

NJ
Reviewed October 4, 2012

For a LA wedding, this was a super convenient & nice hotel: could walk to church and close to all event locations. We booked a King Spa Suite & were upgraded to Vista Suite with a great view, the upgrade was def appreciated. I had read many helpful TripAdvisor reviews about the hotel, and planned our stay accordingly. A very positive experience and hope to be back!
Here're the major pros & cons (not many):

Pros:
1. Spacious suite & really nice bathroom (though could use more counter space & places to hang extra towels or clothes).
2. Daily NYT, including the weekend's. Do not remember if we choose this preference? It was great to have. There were also other papers in the lobby every morning.
3. Heated outdoor pool: there were plenty of towels and seating, though I expect it'll be much busier during summer.
4. Morning coffee & tea bar: it was very well supplied & well maintained.
5. On Sat evening we got a call about printing Boarding Passes for Sun's flights. This is such a nice reminder service, and it was easy to use the Concierge kiosk to print.
6. Valet service was always prompt & helpful. One day I even asked them to get a relative's car when I didn't have the ticket number, I gave them guest name & car description and that was enough.
There have been a lot of TripAdvisor discussions of the valet daily charge, we used it and felt it's worthwhile. while some relatives chose to park on the streets which have plentiful free parking esp during Sat-Sun.
7. Staff all very helpful & courteous, from Reception/Valet/Housekeeping/restaurant.
8. Fitness room wasn't cramped and had a partial view, very clean & well stocked with towels. BLVD 16's private room(s) were perfect for groups.

Cons:
1. We requested an in-room coffeemaker but it was not delivered in time.
For late sleepers it'd be nice to have a morning hot drink in the room.
2. Business Ctr is not free for Kimton InTouch members.
There is free in-room Wi-Fi for members but sometimes need to use Internet away from room/not via laptop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear FBC01,

Thank you so much for enumerating all the great things about your stay with us!

As for the internet, you would have access anywhere throughout the hotel & restaurant in addition to our business center.

Hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Boston, MA
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel Palomar is on Wilshire Blvd. in an upscale residential area, about 1/2 hr from LAX. Easy to find and 10+ min walk to Westwood Village/UCLA where you can find plenty of shops, places to eat, grocery store, pharmacy, whatever you need. The hotel lobby is comfortable and inviting with lots of art books to peruse. There's a citrus-infused ice water dispenser in the lobby - it's surprisingly refreshing and so much better than plain old bottled water. Check-in was quick. Staff was welcoming and friendly, but still professional. Stayed 2 nights in a deluxe room which was very clean, quiet, relaxing, and had ample space for 2. The décor was contemporary but warm. Terrific artwork in the guest rooms and around the property. Free wifi was easy to use and worked fine. Free newspaper and coffee were also nice. The fitness center was tidy and a bit roomier than other hotel gyms I've used which was a plus. Complimentary wine hour is something to look forward to at the Palomar – had a couple glasses of a lovely moscato. As others mentioned, this is a pet-friendly hotel - I met some adorable dogs in the elevator. I did notice some barking and yapping during the daytime while in my room, but it was barely audible. Didn't get to use the pool, but the pool area looked lively on a Sat afternoon. There were only 2 issues with this hotel which were pretty negligible. The bathroom door in our room was a sliding door, and it came off the rail, so we couldn't close it. We reported it to the front desk, and it was promptly fixed. Valet parking here is expensive - around $40. We were lucky enough to find street parking on the weekend and didn't have to use it. Overall, this is a great hotel for visiting LA and quite a value. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Okitt07,

Thank you for highlighting all of our wonderful touch points, from wine hour to the fitness center and pool!

I hope you stay with again when travelling from Boston to Los Angeles...

Warm Regards,

Phoenix
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at the Hotel Palomar in Westwood during a week long road trip around Southern Cali. This hotel is absolutely lovely. The service from valet through the check-in process was prompt and polite.

We had a King room on the 9th floor with a great view of the surrounding neighborhood and city. We were able to check in early and the room was spotless and beautiful. The décor is “Kimpton Cool”; the bed was dreamy comfy with really nice linens. We had a decent sized bathroom with Tub/Shower combo and great water pressure. Kimpton properties are environmentally conscious so you have to ask for extra towels if you need more than 3 bath towels per room per day. We have been huge Kimpton fans for over 10 years and have stayed at 18+ of their properties throughout the U.S. As usual, everything about our stay at the Westwood Palomar was stellar.

The hotel is located in a very upscale residential neighborhood and was close to everything we came to see and visit. There are many places to shop and to dine within a 10 to 15 minute walk in the Westwood Village. We loved the location and we were so glad we chose this property over a few others we had considered located directly in Hollywood.

The pool is located in the back of the property on the ground floor. It’s pretty small but very nice. If you want to catch some sun I suspect the window of opportunity is minimal due to the tall buildings surrounding the pool area.

We love and appreciate the wine happy hour in the lobby from 5 to 6 p.m. We did not dine at the on-site restaurant but it looked beautiful and the menu looked yummy. We did the “tourist” thing and took the open-air Hop On/Hop Off bus. This was a great way to see LA, Hollywood and Beverly Hills as well as the ocean and Santa Monica. The bus stop is only a 10 minute walk from the Hotel.

The only complaint I have was the $38 per day parking fee. I understand it’s pretty standard for “Los Angeles” but it still stings non the less. We felt a bit “gouged”. I guess we are just tired of all the “fee’s” that are becoming the norm instead of the exception... They do offer a reduced parking fee if you happen to drive a hybrid.

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a Kimpton hotel and I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat. Highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views. Rooms facing away from Wilshire Blvd may have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracy Phoenix,

Your review was very complimentary and very thorough! I really appreciate the ackowledgment of all of our touch points.

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Kimpton and I hope to see you again soon.