“We loved it and we'll be back”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #43 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“We loved it and we'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Palomar after leaving another hotel in Los Angeles which did not meet our expectations. Our stay was wonderful. The hotel is located in a lovely area of Los Angeles, just next to Beverly Hills and accessible to I-405. There is a lovely area called Westwood Village down the street which had affordable dining for the five of us, and we even saw a movie premiere with stars taking place. UCLA campus is nearby also. The hotel is luxurious, and offered a wine hour each evening. The suggested valet parking is pricey at $33 a night, but we easily found street parking in the beautiful residential neighborhood behind the hotel. We were there on a weekend, but weekday parking may be a little more difficult. The service was excellent and the gym was adequate for our needs. My only observation was the hotel restaurant needs better lighting as it was very dark. Otherwise Hotel Palomar is an affordable luxury hotel in a beautiful area and is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed at the Palomar for 4 nights last week and it was a wonderful experience. I am a very picky traveler and am sensitive to just about anything that can make a hotel awful (specifically, noise, pets and light). The Palomar allowed me to have a well-rested vacation and provided many perks!

I was nervous about being next to a loud dog or a room that had residual pet hair from past visitors, so I requested a pet-free floor. I did so upon making the reservation and called to make sure it was received. I think this was crucial since, as noted by other reviewers, ther are indeed a lot of dogs in this hotel.

I was put in a room near the elevator and the housekeeping closet, so assumed it would be noisy and I'd have to request a room change. I'm happy to report it wasn't loud at all! The housekeeping staff was super aware of not blocking the walkway, always greeted me with a smile and obviously made an effort to not make a lot of noise opening/closing the supply closet.

The valet staff was exceptional. They were quick, friendly and had a great memory about what/where I said I was going. They always asked if I needed directions and knew how to make me feel welcome without being overbearing. The front desk staff was great as well, always quick to help and spent a lot of time helping me figure out the LA bus system.

The location is nice -- right on the bus line to Santa Monica and the shopping area in Beverly Hills, plus walking distance to UCLA and Westwood Village, so I was able to leave my car at the hotel a few times.

And, naturally, the free wine hour made everything that much better!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
phoenix, az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Very nice hotel, superb attentive staff, great change from the blah Doubletree it used
to be. However, if you are allergic to dogs, better skip this place!! I was amazed at
how many people brought their dogs, as this hotel boldly proclaims they are pet friendly!
It wasn't an issue, never heard any barks, the room was quiet for a busy weekend.
Thumbs up for the nightly happy hour in the lobby, good wine, nothing cheap, and Sunday night they brought out shooters!
Good location, safe to walk all over Westwood, I'll be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor you can get to avoid the traffic sounds on Wilshire
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear Eblkcat,

Thank you for your positive review and for highlighting our wine hour, quiet and comfortable room as well as our safe neighborhood. I'm happy our pet friendly hotel was not an issue for you and if you ever need to travel with a furry companion, we would love to make him/her feel as comfortable as possible!

Best Regards,

Albert Smith
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was our final stay of our honeymoon road trip. We stayed in one of the suites which was lovely and spacious, gorgeous bathroom and very comfy bed and furniture. When the helpful man on reception checked us in and discovered it was our honeymoon he sent up champagne and nibbles. Location wise we had to travel to most places but that's the way in L.A. Anyway. Close by is Marilyn munroe's final resting place (walking distance). Hotel is lovely and we would stay in the Kimpton hotels wherever we could!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Weirdjam,

We are so happy that Hotel Palomar and Kimpton will forever be a part of of your honeymoon and anniversary memories! It warms my heart to hear that the team here learned of your special occasion and sent some treats to help you celebrate!

We wish you many years of happiness and can't wait for you to celebrate with us again in the future!

Best Regards,

Albert Smith
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here in April and loved the Palomar. Our 3 kids (9, 7, 5) were well received and we were given an amazing suite for under $300.

The hotel itself is in a great location, convenient to just about everything in Los Angeles. A short walk away is Westwood village and its nice shops and restaurants. Parking is by valet who are attentive and friendly and bring your car around super fast. The hotel building is a solid mid rise building full refurbished.

The room was just stunning - a huge bathroom with hot tub, and a separate bedroom with doors that we were able to close away from our kids. A sofa bed and a rollaway were provided and still there was ample room. Furnishings were funky and everything was designed with thought. We loved the custom designed robes!

Staff are friendly and approachable and unlike other boutique hotels they didn't get phased by kids. On the evening we were there, the hotel was hosting an open wine and oyster tasting. It seemed very buzzy.

The pool is a bonus. Set at the back of the building outdoors it gets a bit of a breeze so is not ideal on cool days, though for this location at this price it's a real stand out feature.

We would love to return to the Palomar. It's a quality hotel at a value for money price and has a real flair and staff with passion.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Saltillo, mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

i loved the location, the service was marvelous, they have this "one day promo" in which they do a *Magic word* and you say it at the front desk and they give you special prices!!!

i would definitely recommend this hotel and i would definitely come back!

Room Tip: as always ask for an upgrade at check in! they did it for free in my case
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently with family after reading all of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, and getting a pretty decent price. I have to agree with all of those positive reviews- the Palomar met all of my expectations. From the minute we arrived, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We were a little earlier than check-in time, but our room was ready anyways. One of the valets brought our bags up with us and took a few minutes to explain the basic features of the room and the hotel itself. The hotel has a ton of special little features like coffee hour in the morning, wine tasting at night, and a movie in the pool (I'm not sure if the movies are every day, but there was one on the weekend that we were there).

We asked the concierge about restaurants and activities in the area and she was more than willing to help. She provided us with tips and maps of the area, and even asked how our day was and if we found everything okay when we returned later that day. Any staff members we passed in the hallways or elevator also were friendly and always said hello.

The room itself was very stylish and large. Beds were comfortable and we had a nice view looking out over LA. They do have the high-power flush toilets though and heavy doors, so you can hear those during the night, but it wasn't that bad and there's really not much anyone can do about that! Most importantly in any hotel room though, it was CLEAN.

The hotel pool area seemed well decorated and maintained (as did the rest of the hotel), but a bit small. The fitness center was also on the smaller side, but it had enough equipment in it and was perfectly adequate for a few nights stay. We didn't try the restaurant, so I can't comment on that. The hotel is in a pretty central location to a lot of the attractions in and around Los Angeles and is easily accessible on Wilshire Blvd. Westwood Village is a short walk down the street and has a lot of cafes and restaurants.

Overall, staying at the Palomar was a great experience and I would definitely stay there again if back in Los Angeles. This was my first time staying at a Kimpton property, but after this experience I'm sure it won't be my last. Definitely worth the money!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family