“Comfortable and nearly a boutique”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #39 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed here for business. It is a large hotel, but works very hard to feel cosy and personal.

Good sized room with nice art work, free wifi if you sign up for the Kimpton programme (no fees for that so a no brainer), nice bathroom. Lots of nice little extras like evening free wine in the lounge/reception area, a lovely set of goodies to choose from in the mini bar/room snacks. The restaurant is also very good and prides itself, quite rightly, on fresh seasonal organic food well presented - everything I had was delicious - I made sure I had lunch there before I left for the airport and was not disappointed. And it does not feel like a faceless hotel restaurant. Also while I was there some breakfast elements were included in the room only fee - but ordering from the menu was also a treat. Very helpful staff at all times too.

No negatives really - just felt that it was trying a little bit too hard sometimes to be a boutique hotel. Examples of this included the extraordinary faux tiger and leopard dressing gowns (although I missed these at another Kimpton property!!) plus skimpy night gear hanging in the closet and available to purchase - not suitable for a chunky lady like me really. Also lots of goodies for pets in the room stuff so beware if you are allergic to dogs (not a problem for me and a positive selling point for Kimpton I noticed)

That said it was an enjoyable and practical stay, and made me feel positively about Kimpton as a brand trying to be a bit different while also delivering a good working hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Checked in here for a one-night stay on a short business trip. Bell staff were welcoming when I drove up, but there was only one person manning reception with three people waiting to check in, which was a drag. This seems to be a feature of several of the Kimpton hotels I have stayed at. At least the guy apologized for the wait when I did finally get to the front of the line.

One of the things I like about the Kimpton brand is that they have cocktails every evening in the hotel; another is that as a member of their InTouch program, you get a $10 mini-bar voucher and free internet access.

The room I was allocated was on the top (19th) floor and had a nice view across LA. Though not especially large, for single occupancy it was absolutely fine and was nicely furnished. The bathroom likewise while not huge was sufficient for my purposes and both clean & well organized.

I didn't use any of the hotels facilities so I can't comment on those.

Check-out was early morning - there was a skeleton staff operating and once I located someone, everything was completed efficiently.

Overall a satisfactory stay and a decent choice for anyone looking for a hotel in this part of LA.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Russell N
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed as part of our Honeymoon for 2 nights, we told them we were on honeymoon so they upgraded us to a higher floor & sent a bottle of champagne & some nibbles to our room, very impressed. Gorgeous rooms, friendly staff, bar & restaurant bit expensive but thats to be expected in Westwood LA. Very safe & clean area & nice to see the pets coming & going. headed off on a cruise frrom Long beach after staying here & on our return decided instead of heading off on a road trip we'd head back to the Palomar for 1 more night. The guy on the desk remembered who we were & upgraded us to a suite on the top floor!! Absolutly fantastic. Having spent 3 weeks in USA on honeymoon I can honestly say the Palomar was the best & friendliest hotel we stayed in and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank REBELHEART10
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

Congratulations and I'm delighted you spent your honeymoon with us! The Palomar team works hard and making emotional connections with our guests and we love knowing that our hotel will accompany the memory of one of your most special occasions!

We would love to see you again in the future for anniversaries...

Congratulations again!

All my best,

Albert Smith

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Our stay at the hotel Palomar was definitely great and exceeded our expectations. The whole hotel staff was just unbelievable nice, which made our stay very pleasant. The rooms although small were very clean, inviting and well decorated. Nice large flat screen TV was a big plus with our kids. The bathroom was excellent. I also have to say the housekeeping staff did a great job everyday, I have nothing but praise for them!.

The hotel is located close to Westwood village around UCLA, which is a great location since it's close to shops, restaurants, etc.

In short, we stay at the Palomar with my wife and two small kids and have no complaints at all, it was great! I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We got our room when we arrived at the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Our room was very nice. It could have been cleaner at arrival. There were hairs in the bath and on the bed when I arrived and someone else’s toenail in the bathroom (gross!). However, most of the staff was absolutely exemplary. I applaud the Hotel's management for bringing together a great staff and training them in the fine art of customer service. The pool area was a little disappointing because it was very small and shaded. The beds were a bit hard with sheets that were a little scratchy.
The hotel is located in a great spot between Hollywood and Westwood. Westwood Village and UCLA are within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lelaho
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed here on the strength of the Palomar in Chicago (which was brilliant). But we were disappointed with the location, facilities and value for money. Unless you have a car (plus parking costs) it's a decent walk to nearby Westwood. The pool is pokey and crises, gym basic, restaurant not conducive to breakfast and is a fair bit extra. And if you have an evening flight there are no shower facilities at the pool or gym-amazing. And guess what none at LAX as well. We asked if we could sneak into our old room which was not made yet but they were not obliging even for 5 monutes! Again this in contrast with Chicago where the location is brilliant and value for money equally so. I w

• Stayed: April 2011
7  Thank VFrequentTravellers
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My sister and I arrived and were greeted by very nice front desk employees who remembered my name during our entire stay. Each employee we encountered was very nice. Our rooms were small, but well appointed--quite chic actually. The bathroom sink is a little difficult to use and results in water getting everywhere; however, the bathrooms are very nice and clean. No in-room coffee--which would be my wish for the next visit.
The windows do not open, but each room has temperature control which was perfect. I could hear toilets flushing all night, but that may be life in the city.
The lobby is very comfortable and lovely---with coffee/tea in the morning and wine hour at night. Parking is expensive ($30/night), just be prepared for that almost everywhere in L.A. The hotel is within easy walking distance to Westwood Mall where there are stores, restaurants, bars and museums. Century City Mall is a bit further, but still quite close. We really enjoyed being in this particular neighborhood and were able to navigate our L.A. and Pasadena destinations easily from this hotel. We loved that the hotel is dog friendly and met some super cute dogs. The few children we encountered were very well behaved and quiet.
We loved our last stay at Hotel Palomar in Washington D.C.---this was just as fantastic. Hotel Palomar L.A. exceeded our expectations and really helped make our entire stay enjoyable. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
InterContinental Los Angeles Century City

Been to Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!