“Don't try contacting the hotel if you want a response.”
Review of The Mayfair Hotel

The Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #243 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Don't try contacting the hotel if you want a response.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Very disappointed with this hotel.
I previously left a more positive review, but took it down as I spent far too long contacting this hotel about an issue and I wanted this review to show how we have been treated since staying there around six weeks ago.
My mother bought my boyfriend a really nice new business shirt for Christmas, as he has just gotten a new job he worked really hard for. He took it on our trip to the states, intending to wear it on NYE. We checked out of this hotel on the 30th of December, 2013. My partner left the shirt hanging in the hotel, as he put it up so it wouldn't get wrinkled but forgot to pack it back up. We immediately contacted the hotel to let them know, and we were told someone would call us back. No one ever did. We followed up with emails. After being totally ignored we decided that the next time we were in LA a few weeks later we would make a special trip to the hotel to collect the shirt. As this hotel is located in Downtown LA (we didn't realise how far away from everything this hotel was when we booked it) we had to make a trip there JUST for the shirt. we were told that because we didn't call ahead they were going to refuse to open up lost property. We tried explaining we did call ahead and no one got back to us, and that we were flying home to Australia that night and wouldn't be able to get it, but they were very abrupt and didn't care that we had been ignored for so long. We had to rush to return the car we hired just to get the shirt back so we couldn't stay and argue forever. we were really upset at how we were treated and flat out denied our own property. in the last two weeks ive emailed the hotel images of the shirt as well as told them what happened. I requested that they post it to us in Australia because it isn't fair that we should pay postage when we have spent money and time trying to collect it already. Despite so many emails, we are yet to hear even a peep out of the hotel. Any good experience we may have had at the hotel are totally lost now because the hotel has not dealt with us nicely since. I wish I could have left my original review up which was much nicer, but I am just so disappointed that we have been absolutely ignored and disregarded by what had potential to be a nice enough establishment. I would not stay here or recommend it as I like it when people acknowledge you instead of pretend you don't exist. Still waiting to hear back from the hotel, I am hoping they will deal with it so I can modify my review to reflect their efforts for their customers... maybe they will but I think six weeks and several emails is just too much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JodyTD
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear JodyTD, please let me apologize for the problems you encountered in retrieving your lost shirt. It never should have been so difficult to get information about the lost item. It was a real breakdown in communication on our part. I am delighted that we found the shirt and that it has been mailed out to you as of Thursday Feb.20, 2014. Hopefully you will receive it shortly. Again my apologies. When your travels bring you back to LA please give us a call. We would love to have a second chance to make your total stay enjoyable. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Could be much better with the price paid. when asked for a larger room possible small room, Stained my 2 shirt, no initiative to even apology. Room condition could be much better AC filthy and noisy, Curtain does not close properly. Some of the cupboard does not open properly.The location is so scary that you do not dare to walk at night alone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank himalayatrekking
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear himalayatrekking, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback about your recent stay. My sincerest apology for the inconvenience this might have caused you. The lack of response was unacceptable. I will deal with that through additional training. While we look forward to our upcoming transformation this spring that will address a number of the issues you highlighted, we will look to improve upon the service we provide. A lot of new exciting things are happening at the Mayfair, I hope you consider visiting us again as we are committed towards an exceptional guest experience and would like the opportunity to recover. Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Super convenient location in downtown LA, only four blocks from the Metro line which connects you to most of LA. Friendly, knowledgeable staff directed us to dining options (great Thai food one block down, a plethora of dining options at the new 7th and Fig outdoor "mall") and walking tours (MOCA, City Hall, Central Market, Jewelry District). We are seasoned travelers on a budget and the Mayfair was perfect for us. Clean rooms with comfortable beds & good linens: the rooms are smaller than in some newer hotels but that is to be expected in a historic building. We did not find the neighborhood all that sketchy - after all, it is downtown LA - and felt comfortable walking at night. With a thriving nightlife and has fantastic sightseeing during the day (especially if you like to explore a city by foot) the Mayfair put us right at the heart of the city. Maybe not the place for John and Sally from Missouri, but if you want to get to know downtown LA first-hand ~ The Historic Mayfair is the spot.

Room Tip: Choose a higher-up floor facing west for sunset views over the city.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa Marie M
Dear Lisa Marie M, thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with our hotel and for writing such a great review and referencing so many things that you enjoyed. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as yours. Thank you again for your comments and for the public recommendation . We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I saw the poor reviews of this hotel before we booked, but we caught a good deal on our 4 night stay and it was definitely a last minute trip we planned. We were a little apprehensive about staying here, but we didn't want to spend any more on accomodations. We were in town for the BCS National Championship and had other things we wanted to spend our money on, like tickets to the game and food. The Mayfair suited us just fine. Yes, the Mayfair is outdated. Yes, it's in need of some new couches in the lobby and carpet in the rooms. But, the various bellmen were always polite and the cleaning staff were very nice. None of our personal items were touched while we were gone and we were given clean towels everyday. My biggest complaints would have to be the AC making a horrible noise (but it was so cool at night that we cracked a window and left it off) and the water pressure being less than what I'm used to, but still not worse than in any other hotel. In my opinion, it is very conveniently located. We are in our 20's and fairly active, so walking isn't an issue for us. It is a little more than half a mile from the 7th/Flower St Metro stop, which is just a few short stops from Union Station where you can connect with any Metro line and various other forms of public transportation to get almost anywhere in the city. We rode the Metro to the Staples Center one night and walked back after the game, and I don't think it was terribly far.The area around the hotel varies from other hotels to major companies to sub-par living quarters, so I can understand why some reviewers may think the surroundings are unsafe if it is not what they are used to. And yes, there were people on some corners asking for money, but honestly, you're in a big city. Everywhere we went in LA there were people asking for money, no matter how nice the area was. I give the Mayfair 3 stars overall.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lbfa2013
Dear Ibfa2013, thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments both positive and where we need to improve. It's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes the staff for their warm and friendly service and takes the time to share that with us. Our upcoming renovation will be this coming spring and will address a number of the issues you highlighted while we continue to focus on our exceptional service. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was a horrible hotel. Located in a really bad neighborhood I was afraid to get out of my car. The whole reason I booked this hotel is because it said it was .6 miles away from the Staples center, lie. Granted it was only about a mile but the whole point was to be able to walk to and from the staples center. I felt very unsafe trying to walk this. When we were checking in the front desk girl was very rude. She told us that they would put a 50 dollar hold (which i still haven't gotten back with no damages to the room) and when we were checking out she informed us that there would be a 12 dollar charge for parking. I was a little upset that we were not informed on the parking price before hand. I asked her why we had to pay if we already paid for the hotel room and her response was "umm its LA". The room was so small and dirty I didn't want to touch anything. You can forget about fitting two people in the bathroom, it was so small the toilet was right up against the wall. It was nothing like the pictures on the website. I can not believe I 79 dollars for this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Nikki F
Dear Nikki F, thank you for taking your valuable time to share about your recent stay. I apologize that you felt that walk from the Staple Center was unsafe. Many of our guests make that walk daily and never had an issue. All hotels in downtown charges parking. Our rate is very competitive within this market. The Mayfair has many different types and sizes of rooms; like many historic hotels, we do have some rooms that have small bathrooms. Our upcoming renovation that will starts this coming spring will convert many of this small bath rooms to showers with modern fixtures that will enhance the look and feel of the bathroom. There are lots of exciting things happening at the Mayfair. Please come back and see all the improvements. Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked this hotel as it was very cheap and had a very swish website. I spent some time on the website reading up on things to do and see! But not having a car or driving it is impossible to walk around this area and to feel safe. Also when over hearing two gentlemen staying at the hotel discussing where to go, they were saying it was even dodgier to drive around in this part of town! I felt we had made a mistake booking this hotel a few days before going and looked into cancelling, but unfortunately all the other hotels in our price range were then fully booked. It was a shame really as the building itself was once quite grand. But now it just seemed tired and depressing. There is no bar or restaurant. The only meal option being breakfast in the morning or a vending machine. Also no bars or restaurant in the areas safe going to. It did have a nice 7/11 a few doors down for coffee, donuts and pizza. Which kept us going after a very tired and stressed stay. It doesn't give LA a very good reputation. The room was very clean though and the cleaners pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alice R
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Alice R, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback. We appreciate your comments both positive and where we need to improve. The Mayfair does have a great location and is centrally located for many of the attractions & restaurants. The neighborhood of the hotel is quite safe both day and night. The new owner and management of the Mayfair are very committed to bring the Mayfair back to its past glory. I appreciate you recognizing our housekeeping staff. They do work hard to make sure that the room is clean and well kept.Thank you again for taking time out to let us know about your stay. Our full renovation of the hotel will start in April and we would love for you to come back and see all the changes that we are making. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was a nice stay. And I would have gave it a 4 but the location although walking distance to the staples center is not good. There was a lot of trash on the streets and ppl asking for food/$. But once u go into their private parking garage it all changes. The lobby is nice. The elevators are fast. The staff is helpful. We got the 3 nights for $65 special. The room was on the top floor and tucked off in a corner. It was small but my husband and I had plenty of room for our bags and to move around. The only complaint a the room was the tub. It was miniature and hard to maneuver in due to the hump in the back of it,t should have just been a walk in shower. Overall I would stay here again. We wasn't in the room a lot and to be honest it's not a resort.

Room Tip: 1502 is smalllll. No refrigerator or microwave.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaFetzer
Dear DaFetzer, thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share about your recent stay. We are more than proud to know that your experience was satisfying. We're proud to know that our staff was very helpful. I will definitely share that feedback to them. The Mayfair is a great value hotel in downtown and always strives to provide reasonable prices to its guests. Remember that the hotel will undergo a full renovation top to bottom in a few months. Your concern will be addressed in that renovation. I hope you visit us very soon to see all the changes. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager