“Great location and friendly service. In the middle of renovations.”
Review of The Mayfair Hotel

The Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #238 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Needed to spend a few days visiting some clients in downtown L.A. Location was really close to where I needed, also just a short distance to Staples Center and the Fashion District. The neighborhood is undergoing a transformation with older buildings sandwiched between newer buildings. This hotel is certainly historic. I received a room that was recently remodeled and it was just what I needed. I also found the entire staff (at least those that helped me) to be helpful and friendly.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve S
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Steve S, thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Mayfair is a great value alternative to Downtown LA and yet still close to the attractions. Thank you for your comments about the staff, I will definitely pass it along. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

There are newer reviews for The Mayfair Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Overall this was a great hotel for the price. My friend and I stayed here for two nights in town for a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. The hotel does have some years on it, but for the price and location it was great.

The room was clean with no complaints, which is all I really ask for from a hotel. I visit a city for the city, not for the hotel as we were constantly out and the hotel was just there for sleep. We had a great view of the city from our room. The pillows and bed itself was comfortable.

The staff was all great. Front Desk were extremely friendly as was housekeeping and a member of the maintenance staff when he came up to fix a slight issue with the shower.

The location of the hotel is great. Right near the freeway as well as downtown Los Angeles. It just couldn't be beat. As far paying for parking, I didn't mind it as it was a secured parking garage and the price is better than what you could be paying for at other downtown LA hotels, I've paid up to $25 if not more a day.

If you're looking for a luxury hotel, then go book at the Ritz Carlton and stop crying about a hotel that you booked because it had a decent price didn't match five star luxury needs. If you want a decent hotel for a decent price in an ideal location than this hotel is it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JJPanda55

Dear JJPanda55, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Mayfair Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is rewarding when a guest takes the time to recognize the staff. I will certainly share your comments with the Front Desk, Housekeeping , and Maintenance staff. You are right, we do have a great location and is within walking distance to a lot of great places to visit and always strives to provide reasonable prices to its guest. The hotel charges $12/night for parking which is very competitive in the area and it includes 24 hour security and in/out privileges. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward on your next visit. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed July 29, 2013

good lord do people check in these hotels just to find fault? its a hotel not your home everything is not going to be perfect "get over it" did you even enjoy your vacation or were you just looking for more things to complain about? i stayed in room 1002 and had no problems its a room with a bed, a/c, bathroom, free wifi its not a 5 star luxury hotel so it was perfect for me and i enjoyed my stay while i was there. i read the reviews before i went and i was Leary but after getting there i was pleasantly surprised and will definitely stay again. for some of you travelers "stay home" were everything is perfect and to your liking and stop scaring off people who don't expect perfection but a nice hotel with a good staff and a clean room.....jeeez

Room Tip: i stayed in 1002 and it was quiet and clean for a pool go up the street on 7th and fig to golds gym...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank christopher m

Dear Christopher M, thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at the Mayfair hotel. I really appreciate your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We have big plans to renovate and refresh the Mayfair and bring it back to its original glory. There will be lots of new exciting things happening at the Mayfair. Thank you again for your positive feedback. Please come back and see us. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a disabled traveler on a tight budget, I stay in a great deal of single- and two-star properties. For many innkeepers, the tight economy and shrinking margins due to internet competition have meant that upgrades to their property are few and far between, and many are delaying maintenance due to cash flow issues. This is understandable, and even acceptable, provided that the property is scrupulously maintained and cleaned to within an inch of it's life. Old does NOT have to equate with dirty and shabby. I was raised by a working waitress who was a single mom to THREE kids - everything in our home was very old, and either second- or third-hand, but it was cleaned, painted, and maintained very well. So, I'm not a snob about old things, and I'm well used to dealing with a property that has not recently been renovated.

The Historic Mayfair Hotel is another story altogether.

The photos of this place featured on this and other travel websites showcase the lobby - which is nice enough - and exteriors of the property during it's heyday - old pictures. There is only one picture of a guest room, and that room is not even CLOSE to the room I received at check-in for a three-day stay. It's the old bait and switch - pretty on the outisde, shabby, dirty and breaking down on the inside.

My room REEKED of deodorizer, and the carpet is more stained than not. There is an iron-shaped burn mark on the carpet from where someone set down a hot iron. The ancient blonde wood night-table and three-drawer low bureau have stains on the wood from a time when insect ran rampant over them - though thankfully there do not appear to be bugs present in this room at this time. The mattresses on the full and twin beds in my room are rock-hard. My son jumped onto the full bed to lay down after our long journey, and bruised his arm landing on the rock-hard mattress. The old fluorescent light bulbs cast a terrible greenish glow around the room, making any task requiring lighting a headache-inducing experience. The bedclothes are thin, though they appear clean.

The bathroom is a closet with plumbing. I happen to carry a tape measure on vacation, and I just measured - in this room, not counting the tiny shower stall's floorspace, there are only 2.75 square feet of standing/sitting room in the bathroom, and the door swings inward. You literally cannot close the bathroom door unless you stand on the toilet. I am a big guy - 6'2" and 250 lbs - and using the toilet whilst seated is a physical impossibility for me - made even worse by my disability. The towels provided were new, clean and fluffy, but the bathroom itself had not been properly cleaned - there was evidence of prior guests on the commode, lavatory and shower stall. I carry antibacterial cleanup wipes for just such occasions, and after me cleaning the room for five minutes it was safe and sanitary for use. The soap provided is a very old, very hard bar of some fancy soap that is impossible to bring to a lather. The shower stall is child-sized, on the order of what you might see in an RV or on a very old cruise ship. The shower nozzle rises to 46" above the floor of the shower stall - so unless you are tiny, washing all of your parts is like a game of Twister - a scalding hot game of Twister, as the ancient faucets make it impossible to regulate the water temperature to a comfortable level.

The room's air conditioner is old, but apparently IS well-maintained, as it produces a reliable stream of cold air, albeit a bit noisy - but without the awful smell I was half-expecting when I switched it on. The phone is ancient and had some kind of human stains on it. The TV is a standard 4:3, CRT style unit, but the cable service is quite good and there are the requisite 85 channels from which to choose, and a working remote was provided. There are three outlets available in this room, but one was physically broken and looked too dangerous to attempt, leaving me grateful that I travel with my own surge suppressor/outlet strip. There is a working smoke detector in the room.

The closet was too scary to use - hadn't been cleaned or dusted in many, many months, and since no luggage rack is provided in the room, the room's lone chair - an old, upholstered arm chair - is pressed into service as luggage rack and clothing staging area.

The location of the hotel is convenient to mass transit and a cab ride from other attractions in Los Angeles. There is a 7-11 nearby, a Wells Fargo bank, and a Thar restaurant that delivers to the hotel. There is also a local Chinese restaurant, the Bamboo Express, that delivers right to your room and provides a three-item dinner with your choice of soft drink (32 oz.) for $6.50 - a steal.

To summarize, I was a little suspicious when I sourced this property and saw that it was both in Downtown Los Angeles *and* under $75 a night. Looking at the photos the hotel posts on the travel websites, it does not appear to be shabby or poorly maintained, but once you check in and get to your room, THERE'S the "gotcha" that we who travel all hate to experience - the realization that had you only spent $15 a night more, you might have had a lovely stay. Until and unless the Historic Mayfair Hotel makes a substantive effort to refresh these rooms, I would not return to the property, and would recommend the hotel only as an alternative to either a homeless shelter or sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 525 - in fact, stay away from ALL the hotel's "Euro-Style" rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank giaimo13
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear giamo13, thank you very much for your very in-depth comments about our hotel. The Mayfair has a new owner and management that are committed to bring the Mayfair back to its past grandeur. We have a full renovation plan for the hotel which will be complete by fall of 2014. All of your concerns will be address in that renovation. We really appreciate your comments. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here one night: cost $85 including parking. The neighborhood is depressed, but no worse than Union Square in SF. Parking was secure. Room was reasonably spacious but very poorly cleaned (especially carpet) with exception of the linen. Furniture looked to be mix match of thrift store purchases, including 20 inch pre-flat panel TV. The rooms need complete remodel. Will not stay again, but was fairly priced for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Azevedmj, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Mayfair Hotel. The Mayfair is a great value and we continue to improve our offerings. The Mayfair has a new management company now operating the building and we are in the process of having Stanley Steamer clean the carpet in all guest rooms. The project should be complete by August 15, 2013. In February 2014, we'll be starting a complete renovation. These will include, new drapes, TV, furniture, paint, vinyl. We urge you to come back by fall of 2014 to visit the newly remodeled Mayfair. Thank you again for your comments. Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed June 24, 2013

When arriving we thought: looks nice.
but then...
1. The reception was awfull. The guy just asked: name, id and mastercard.
my reply: a good evening to you to sir..
2. The elevator could like crash any second... it was like the attraction in disneyland
3. When we entered the room, OMG!!
My dog has a bigger sleeping place. The toilet was stuck to the "bath/shower" and the water was yellow-brown at first. The curtains haven't been washed in ages and there were bugs all over the place. We we're gone within 30 minutes.
4. People who don't believe me, I added some pics, so take a look for yourself.

conclusion: this hotel is indeed HISTORIC!!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Keith C
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear keith C, thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. First, let me apologize if the level of service provided by our front desk fell below your expectations. There is no excuse for that type of reception. We definitely need more training. The Mayfair has a new management company now operating the building and we are in the process of deep cleaning every room. We have recently upgraded the towels, sheets and amenities. We have also changed the entire breakfast presentation and will be opening the bar and evening food service in early July. The hotel will undergo a complete renovation early next year. Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I don't know if it's just that I just got lucky and got a good room, but I genuinely enjoyed my stay at the Mayfair. If you're expecting out-of-this-world ~fancy~, you might be disappointed, but, otherwise, I think you're in for a pleasant stay. I had a standard room with two beds on one of the upper floors and was totally satisfied. Part of the reason I enjoyed my stay as much as I did was because the room was set up a lot like an apartment; less like your "conventional" hotel room. You've got everything you'd expect from your standard hotel - beds and linens, a mini-fridge, a television, wardrobes, etc. -, but there's just something about the vibe the place gives off that makes it feel more home-y than you'd maybe expect. (On a side note, the hardwood floors were a nice touch.) And, of course, for just around 55 USD, the quality can't be beat. The location is good, too: the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the 7th Street/Metro Center stop, which means quick and easy access to Union Station and Hollywood.

Also, I want to point out that the neighborhood the hotel is in is far from being as sketchy and run-down as some of the other reviewers suggest. Granted, you might not want to be walking around outside at 2 or 3 in the morning, but that's a general rule of thumb in any decently sized city in the US.

Note, there's a nice, super affordable Thai restaurant right next to the hotel in case you feel like staying in or don't want to go too far from the hotel to get lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank akramarczuk
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Akramarczuk, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Mayfair. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. The Mayfair is a great value and we continue to improve our offerings. We will open our bar and evening food service on July 12, 2013. We have just added all new towels, sheets, pillows and bathroom amenities to all our guest rooms. There are lots of exciting things happening at the Mayfair. Thank you again for you comments. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager