“Served its purpose”

Ranked #87 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Victorville, CA
“Served its purpose”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

We were going to San Francisco on the Amtrak via Union Station. Since our train was leaving early in the morning we wanted to stay down in LA overnite. The Dragon Gate Inn served its purpose. It was close to Union Station, it was relatively clean and the staff was nice. The parking lot attendant on duty the day we were there was a gem, he parked our car for us and was very helpful with information we needed. I would stay here again if we were leaving out of Union Station.

• Liked — proximity to Union Station
  • Disliked — neighborhood
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank TheWanderingVFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2007

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel last year and returned this weekend...We had a family emergency, and had to fly back East. Returning to the west coast we stayed overnight before we took the train to San Diego..The room was spotless..Had a beautiful new flat screen T.V....Coffee maker...iron....etc...The people at the front desk were cordial and friendly..We enjoyed the hotel last year, but this year there were new updates to the furnishings, including the flat screen T.V....There is a wonderful seafood restaurant nearby that is beautiful with delicious food! I believe it was called Ocean Seafood...We walked to the Goldline, and then took the Amtrak back to San Diego..Thank goodness we had a restful night, in a lovely room,and efficient and personable service.following a very stressful week taking care of my parents who were in ill health...... Melody and Dave Miller

• Liked — Service..cleanliness of room...efficient and friendly service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank loveslifesandiego
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

The variable reviews here, but with most positive, convinced me to try out this hotel. A low-priced hotel in a safe area of Los Angeles is something I want to know about.
So basically I went with expectations of a quiet place to sleep, a small breakfast, and internet problems. The positive part is what I got, nothing fancy, a good place to sleep. By getting an upgraded room (for free) I ended up near the road (Hill St.) and although it really has little traffic at night, each vehicle is heard well. Masking that, however, was the heater, which I had to have on during record cold (worked fine). I think the other, plainer rooms would not have this noise problem.

The small breakfast can include a very delicious waffle so it is small but pretty good.

The downside for me was internet. Again, likely worse than in most rooms as my big room was also far from the office. But previous reviews are consistent, and I agree, there is something wrong with the internet here.

The room seemed clean enough but had only a shower.

Both nights I had great meals; once at Pho 97, once at Sam Woo; one of the reasons I wanted to stay in Chinatown.

Bottom line: good access to downtown and now to LAX with the new Flyaway bus ($3) at Union Station. Two good nights sleep at a modest price for LA. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank Craxiter
san francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

We arrived on Sat Dec. 23 at around midnight (after 6 hours of driving) and booked 3 nights through one of Expedia's companies. We booked a 2 bed room. After we checked in and got the keys, we found that the elevator was broken, we were on the 3rd floor. After we when through the dusty stairs to the 3rd floor with our luggage and got into our room, we got the surprise that it was a 1bed room. I called the counter, and only then, the person in the counter acknowledged that we got a 1 bed room and offered a roller bed. Only one caveat, I had to go downstairs to help him out to carry the roller bed to the 3rd floor! After I did that, we realized we had no sheets and a blanket for the roller bed. I called again, and I had to go to pick up sheets and a blanket from a closet.
After all of that, we just wanted to take a shower and sleep. Then we realized that the bathroom door did not lock! Then after that, we realized that one of the pillows in the master bed had a black stain on the other side of the pillow. It was 1am already, we really wanted to leave at that moment, but decided to stay for the night.
The following morning we wanted to check out after such a terrible experience. We explained to the new person in the counter what happened the previous night and he understood and told us we could check out. We left and continued with our vacation in another hotel.
Later on, I realized that I was charged for the other 2 nights I did not stay in the hotel (I booked through Expedia unfortunately). Expedia did not want to refund me for the 2 nights because I canceled early and already issued a payment to the hotel (even though there were good reasons to do so.) To my surprise, the hotel is ALSO unwilling to refund the money to Expedia so that Expedia can consider refunding me. Overall, I got the worst experience I had in a hotel, and Expedia and the Best Western Dragon Gate still profited from 2 nights I did not use. Customer loses, Company wins. The only thing I can do now is to help other people AVOID this kind of situation. Stay away from the Dragon Gate if you can, it is not worth it.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — staff
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away from this one
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveler123SF

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2006

Great hotel in Chinatown!! Quiet, very clean and nicely decorated. Very secure. The fluffiest pillows I've ever seen in a "budget" hotel! Fast check in, friendly and courteous staff. Convenient to freeway and easy to get in & out of. Also, really good price for L.A. Only drawback, there was only 3 cable channels to choose from, but no big deal. I would stay here again.

• Liked — cleanliness & friendliness
  • Disliked — lack of cable tv
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aazaleaa
Santa Monica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2006

Although I asked for a non-smoking room, I got a smoking room based on the smell and the ashtray that I noticed too late. The room was very large but in very poor condition.
The hotel advertises free internet but I was not able to use it all night. It came on in the morning. The otherwise nice lady at the reception during checkout dismissed that it was the service of a provider company and not her problem. The room is not well kept, towels were clean but I still am not sure about the bedding. It does not help to have yellow pillow cases (I trust they were designed yellow). Finally, the breakfast they advertise is probably yesterdays pastries from the shelves of a nearby convenience store which serves coffee in tiny cups with just sugar (not even the pink sweet'n low). So disregard free internet and free breakfast from the value proposition.
On the positive, the location is very convenient:in the middle of Chinatown and very close to downtown LA which may get a lot more expensive. Chinatown also feels safer.
I got it on Expedia for about $55 plus $7 for parking. Streets are no parking at 7 am so you have to pay if you will stay past that.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness is questionable; service poor
  • Tips/Secrets — Streets are no parking at 7 am but parking is ample until that time.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank theauditor
Berkeley, Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2006

I recently stayed 2 nights at the Dragon Gate Inn--largely because many fancier hotels in LA were full (I believe because of LA Fashion Week). The Dragon Gate was perfectly pleasant, if externally unattractive. My room was bigger than motel standard--it had a large seating area and vaguely Chinese furnishings. Plenty of lights, good darkness, but some noise from Hill Street, which is a major bus corridor (one could reasonably stay here without a car). The second night I just ran the fan and drowned it out, as I've done in many hotels.

The whole ground floor, except for a small lobby, is given over to small shops--florist, convenience store, clothing store etc.--and an atrium seating area. This motel is much more part of its neighborhood than most. One drawback is that LA's Chinatown, unlike San Francisco's or New York's, mostly closes early, so don't count on midnight meals here.

My only complaint was that the chain above the lock was broken and they didn't fix it, though I asked. The lock had a deadbolt so it was no biggie, but I didn't like it. Apart from this I'd say the desk was brusque but efficient.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Failure to fix the security chain
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo