“I couldn't wait to check out...”

Best Western Plus Dragon Gate Inn
Ranked #84 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
A TripAdvisor Member
“I couldn't wait to check out...”
Reviewed March 19, 2005

I was pretty dissapointed when we checked into this hotel considering that I had such high expectations having read most of its reviews. The room was very spacious alright but it stank. I could not tell what caused this stinky smell but it definitely smelled "Unfresh". I even developed a throat irritation after having stayed the first night... (and i get this when there's too much dust). The carpet was terrible. It looked and felt dirty that I couldn't go barefoot at all. Imagine a sticky icky feeling when you step on it. The sheets smelled okay but it had small holes in them. The airconditioning system was old and gave out a strange noise once it was turned on. The bathroom was small. No tub, just a shower with no area to put our bath essentials on so i had to place my shampoo/conditioner on the floor while bathing. The vanity area/sink was very small and had rusty stains. The parking area was at the basement which i considered very inconvenient as guests have to lug their baggages all the way down. Good thing they had an elevator. Breakfast was the worst part. They had a very limited choice of pastries and we had to pay for all the rest. I couldn't wait to check out from the minute i checked in. Save for the courteous and accomodating staff, I have nothing else good to say about the place.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed February 20, 2005

I travel to Los Angeles about twice a month and I just recently stayed at the Best Western Dragon Gate Inn. They gave me a great deal because I am a clothing buyer. Be sure to ask for the Garment Buyer rate. I should not tell you folks the rate, just call and ask. The rooms are very spacious and hold a lot of the merchandise that I buy. Also, be sure to try there waffles in the morning.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool
Reviewed February 3, 2005

I hate to have to write this, but I had based all the hotels I booked for my travels on reviews such as these. I personally would not stay at this hotel again, we even checked out early as it was dampening our stay in LA. The staff I found were very rude, not sure if the English/Chinese-American language barrier was getting in the way but the staff seemed not to like us much. On checking in they pulled faces at us wanting to pay by travellers cheque, and dragged the whole checking-in thing on for about 30 minutes, this at 1am is never a good start. The room was a good size although there was a musty type smell, and the room never seemed light even with the curtains drawn and lights on. There was a lot of noise from outside. Location wise it was ok, the walk to Union Station is pretty, the restaurants are close by although I would advise a delivery as I never felt safe walking out at night.

• Stayed January 2005
7 Thank princessj96
Vancouver BC
Reviewed January 20, 2005

I stayed at the Dragon Inn because of the great reviews on this site. I wasn't dissapointed. This is a safe, clean and spacious place to stay if you want to stay close to DownTown LA. It's really hard to find a safe area to spend the night but also be close to the Downtown core in the morning. The DASH and METRO bus stops are both just around the block so you can take the bus downtown in less than 10 minutes. The bus ride towards downtown is along the financial district so its also very safe. We stayed at the BW Mayfair on the other side of town last time and the area was just totally unsafe and outright scary...

I had initial concerns that the surrounding area may be "ghetto" or dangerous. But it was very safe and we could go out at night for a decent meal for a good price at many of the Chinese restaurants just below.

The facilities and service are above average. Rooms were spacious and well equipped. The staff was super nice and helpful so you won't feel alone at all if you are new to LA, you can ask them tons of questions. I would have to say that the breakfast is probably the only thing misleading. It consists of a coffee/tea and a commercial baked pastry that you redeem at the corner store downstairs. Bring your own breakfast if you are a picky breakfast person...

I would definitely stay at the Dragon Inn the next time I come to LA. I have to stay near the Downtown Core for business so this is the safest place to stay that is conveniently located only 10 minutes away.

13 Thank NextChapterTraveller
Reviewed January 6, 2005

My familiy recently stayed at the Best Western Dragon Gate Inn over the New Years weekend. This hotel was a real treat for my family. We came all the way from Texas to watch the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl game. The location was convenient to Pasadena as well as Downtown Los Angeles. We worried about traffic to Pasadena, but the hotel recommended that we use the recently opened Gold Line train that takes you almost everywhere.
As for the value, we have stayed at many hotels that nickel and dime you when you stay, this hotel practically gives you everything for free. Free wifi internet access, free local phone calls, free cont. breakfast, and even free toiletries. Although this hotel is not a full service facility, it customer service staff rivals some of the four star hotels that we have stayed at. We highly recommend this hotel, and we will come back next year when Texas goes to the Rose Bowl again.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member