“Worst Hotel I've Ever Been!”

Best Western Plus Dragon Gate Inn
Ranked #89 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I'm sorry for this late review. Our trip to LA was on December 2005. I booked for this hotel because of the price and location. I have read about some bad reviews on Tripadvisor before booking but I figured I could give it a try. However, the hotel was terrible.

The staff were rude and not friendly. They acted like we owed them money to stay there! After checked in, we were left to ourselves to find our rooms. When we got up to our floor, I knew that the rooms will be terrible from the appearance of the corridors.

I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights, and both the rooms were smelly. The carpets were damped and stained. The bathrooms were dirty and in need of renovation. The bedsheets had cigarette burns, and the comforters and blankets were stained and odorous. The whole rooms and bathrooms were like haunted!

My parents were very easy-going at that time and told us to put up with it. So we stayed for a night there and the next morning, we went to redeem our free "breakfast" at the coffee shop downstairs. It was a joke! Their free breakfast were buns they let you choose on the coffee shop counter and my aunt was unlucky and got a moldy bun! That was the last straw!

Right after that, we immediately packed our luggage and checked out. I told the staff about their moldy "free" breakfast and not a word of sorry from them! They acted like it was our fault choosing the wrong buns!

Stay away from this hotel! After 3 years, I can still remember vividly the bad experience that we had there.

I think this hotel alone will spoil the Best Western brand! Best Western should kick this hotel out of their chain!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with family
1  Thank swchua

Reviewed November 4, 2008

This hotel is located right in the middle of Chinatown, just north of Los Angeles' downtown. As far as location goes, you can't get much better as most any place is accessible by car. It's near the 10, 5, 101 and 110 freeways. On the other hand, the immediate surroundings aren't the best, but typical of the Los Angeles downtown area (not including the few blocks where all the tall buildings are).

The room was a good size and clean. The building is a little drabby. The breakfast comes out of a small convenience store located on the first floor (free). Also located on the first floor, strip-like mall area are some other Chinese shops. Overall, I was satisfied with my experience there (but then, all I was looking for was a place to stay).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Their customer service was beyond rude! (They are cold blooded liars) I don't have words that can describe my experience that I had encountered. I asked prior to making reservations if they had Internet connection and they told me "yes" I go there the same day pay for my room go upstairs and guess what the internet was having issues NO INTERNET ( that just took the word "business" out of "business trip") I Called down to ask them to help me with the details of the internet( maybe I was doing something wrong) I rudely got shut down with a " I dont know anything you call number on card in room" Okay.....? that was weird. Continued to call tech support, tech support says the router at the hotel needs to be reset ,he'll just call them to do that and the internet should be up and running in about5 minutes. So I decide to take a shower and 45 minutes later I try the internet NOPE! still doesnt work. Call tech support again and tech support checks and says oh thats odd they didnt reset their router yet ( like they told them they would ) Okay since the hotel wasnt helping or trying he was going to connect me manually that was complicated but it was done. Of course 10 minutes later I lost it. So as I call back tech support i realize I can sort of pick up the neighbors wireless if I stand half way in the bathroom and the sink area . Tech support tells me that I wont be able to get Internet do to too many people on just one line usually they have 4 but 3 of them are down and the hotel doesnt know how to reset their router. Okay..?....so now what well I get a big I'm sorry IM SORRY WHAT ABOUT MY TRAVELING AcROSS THE STATE THE WHOLE dAY AND NOW YOUR TELLING ME SORRY! What happen to yes we have internet ! It should be we have Internet for the first 20 people that arrive! I then tell tech support to try to make this right an if they can call down stairs and try to do something. 2 minutes later I get a call and they say
HOTEL:So you have a problem with the internet?
ME: yes I asked you if you had internet and you said yes what happened?
HOTEL: I don't know you want I move you to another room
ME: I wont have internet over there either
HOTEL: Yes you will
ME: I asked tech support and they said I wont
HOTEL:I dont know you move or no
ME: No I want you to reset your router and fix the issue
HOTEL: I dont know nothing I cant help you then
ME: why are you going to tell me you internet when 3 out of your 4 lines are down
HOTEL: You no ask us that
ME: yes I did
HOTEL: No you did not must be misunderstanding
ME: um NO
*************************** very small verbal altercation *********************
ME:you are very rude I want to talk to your superior
HOTEL; No they not here you talk to them on Tuesday (4 days form then)
ME: I will not be here on Tuesday and how will that help
HOTEL:I call them and call you back
****************************************10 minutes later***********************
HOTEL: I talk to boss he said pack your things and get out we give you refund
ME: What are you kicking me out
HOTEL: yes you have 20 minutes
ME: ???????????????

I dont know what the heck just happened there I have never in my life got kick out of hotel or treated so unreasonably. I think I hate this place get my money and get some where else that will treat me like a paying customer. I pack go to the ugly lobby and demand my money.
HOTEL: no we no give you money back ,you too much trouble we dont want you here.
ME:HUH ?!! you said you'll give me my money back if I leave now!
HOTEL:No, leave now good bye
ME:I have no where to stay
HOTEL:your room has been rented out to somebody else now
ME: You deceived me and took my money
HOTEL:too bad good BYE

I cant believe what is happening.
I left called best western corp. thank god they compensated me and made things right.
But that short brief stay traumatised me forever DONT STAY THERE save your selves dont let what happen to me happen to you!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank CANTBELlEVEIT
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Hotel staff was nice. Room was clean but small. The location was good. The outside of the building is a bit run down. Overshadowing the acceptable aspects of this hotel is the most terrible breakfast, the filthy cafe and patio. The first dilemma is deciding whether you can eat the food from the cafe and not get sick. The milk sits on the counter in it's original carton (no ice, no refrigeration); the hardcooked eggs are warm leaving you wondering if they're just freshly made or how many days have they been sitting on the counter. The counters are so crowded with "stuff" that you can't really see what this breakfast includes. The second difficult decision is deciding which dirty table to sit at in the courtyard. The courtyard floor holds years of dirt, the walls are stained, the garbage cans almost unapproachable. It's difficult to breathe because the courtyard is filled with local old men smoking and filling out their lotto tickets. Disgusting place. I absolutely do not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I loved this little hotel! It was more like international travel than like being in L.A. The hotel is in chinatown on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building with a cute courtyard with tables and Chinese businesses on the first floor. The room was huge, very clean, modern and very quiet. Our windows faced out with a view of downtown.
Being in chinatown was great as there were a lot of interesting shops and street activity. We wished we had more time to spend but were on a business trip. The staff was extremely helpful and found us parking for our 15' truck at a neighboring motel for free.
I would definitely stay here again if I needed to stay in downtown L.A.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bixchick
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We knew when we booked that we needed a hotel close to Union Station. The 'Best Western' accreditation made this a reasonable choice. So, despite a couple of 'iffy' ratings on this site it was booked.

The room was alright : drab, a little odourous, but after arriving after a long day travelling at 9pm we would sleep ok.

The day-time staff were nice and helpful, but the male receptionist who booked us in at night seemed a little shifty. When we asked him for a map of the area, he pointed to the 'elevator'. We tried again, and the 'elevator' was again pointed to. We gave up, took the hint and went to the room.

If you can, try another hotel. If you can't it will do, but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank besssie
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends. We where on a budget so this was a great choice. The rooms where very clean, large, the beds where comfortable. It's located in chinatown, and a little far from the main attractions, but in LA you have to rent a car to get to where your going, so it wasn't that bad. The breakfast is good. Loved the waffles and enjoy the fortune cookies at the reception area. I would recommend this hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends