“Fancy hotel, albeit far from the major sights”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
Ranked #59 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights while checking out what LA has to offer. The hotel itself was nice and the beds were very comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful as well. One night we decided to try out the hotel restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. The steak and fries deserve praise for it was one of the better meals on our trip. Definitely worth checking out.

Minus points for noise (if you get a room facing the street) and the fact that you have to pay money to use their Wifi. My friend did and we were shocked to learn that the registration only worked on the device he used when signing up for the Wifi, \which means all our other devices were unable to use the net. Disappointing.

If you are not familiar with LA (I clearly wasn't), be aware of the fact that this hotel is far away from popular places like Venice Beach, Hollywood and Santa Monica. I have later learned that LA is known for great distances, but had i known this, I would have booked a hotel closer to said sights.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Hello SidiousT, Thank you for advising us of how your recent stay with us went; I am glad to read that we did meet and exceed your expectations in many areas. I was disappointed to read that our location did not serve you well regarding attractions but please don't forget that Downtown has some great attractions and areas of interest. Next time you visit us please see our CARE agents and we will show you a walking map with some great information about Downtown.

Orlando Salazar

Write a ReviewReviews (2,110)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I love staying at the Double Tree. Although the warm cookie is an incentive, it's not what makes me choose them over and over. It's the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. It's always a positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubletreeManagement, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello Brittany, I am writting you regarding the recent feedback you shared with us about your stay in July; thank you for the kind words and i am very happy we were able to meet your expectations.

If you need any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com

Reviewed July 29, 2013

OK I stayed here from July 25-July 29 2013. The hotel is huge and very beautiful. I stayed on the 10th floor, the view wasn't all that great. Beds were very comfortable, and not to mention the amazing cookies they give you. The hotel location is OK in downtown LA. About a 10 minute walk to Union Station which will take you straight to Hollywood attractions like "walk of fame,Dolby Theater, Madame Toussiant, ect..) To get here from LAX take the Super shuttle its $17 each way, not bad. The hotel is near China town and Little Tokyo. But if you think the China town is like Soho in NYC don't waste your time. There are no good shopping spots and bargains, this China town sucks. Instead for great shopping visit, Melrose Ave, Westside Pavilion, The Grove and Rodeo Drive. Overall me and my sister enjoyed our stay, great price and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. PS. try the cookies, you'll get addicted.

Room Tip: 10th floor wasn't bad.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1HollywoodAngel

Hello 1HollywoodAngel, I am glad to read that you were happy with the hotel. Our location is very convinient to Union Station. Next time you visit may I suggest the Fashion District which is a short walk away from us and there you can fidn some great deals

Reviewed July 29, 2013

You should not charge for internet $9.99. not at this day and Age, that is a waste for us buisness travelers. Next time I will stay at Sheraton Hotels. I stayed at the 4 points at LAX this weekend and let me tell you that is a Class A hotel chain. Forget the Warm Cookie, give us free WIFI instead.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marcio B

Hello Marcio, I am sorry we did not meet your expectation; I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future should your travels bring you to Los Angeles.

I can be reached at Orlando.Saalazar@hilton.com should you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

While I got no "happy" vibes or even smiles from the staff, my two night stay here was uneventful and quite enjoyable. Breakfast is very good, although the space is tight, and valets attentive and quick. The best part, however, is the room as its very quiet, extra comfortable (with a wonderful bed) and spacious for a downtown location. The hotel is also on the edge of Little Tokyo, making for great walks and sightseeing.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank singabob

hello singabob, thank you for sharing with us; I am sorry my staff did not provide you with the happiness we have come to expect from them. I will share your feedback with them, and I can assure yout hat they will correct this immediately

Thank you again for sharing and if there is anything I can help with please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com

Reviewed July 28, 2013

First of all i should start by saying that the Doubletree by Hilton in downtown LA is a comfortable, clean and at times impressive (Kyoto roof top gardens are beautiful) hotel with generally helpful and friendly staff. I should also note that my friend and I enjoyed the surrounding area of little Tokyo and LA's fantastic tube system meant that travel to other areas of LA was cheap and easy ($20 for a 7 day all you can eat pass). My main gripes are related to parking and our room deposit. These are 2 costs that neither Thomson's travel or the Doubletree communicated to us. In terms of parking I was offered a 25% discount however this still meant that 7 nights parking came to $158. In future this should be included in he booking cost as making room costs artificially low and then stinging customers whilst on their vacation is a very short sighted business model which may put off returning visitors. The deposit of $300 was however the most concerning fee. This was again unexpected and left us short of money where a simple card swipe usually suffices at other hotels. What was more concerning was that this money had still not been returned to my friends credit card by the time we were back in the UK! I'm afraid that these woes continued when we tried to get in touch with the doubletree via telephone to sort the situation out. It took 1 and a half days to speak to a manager and when we did their only response was that it must be a bank issue. I must reiterate that this was a real shame because it left a bitter end to what was otherwise a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello Cooperman84, I am sorry that we were not able to properly assist you in clarifying the parking and credit card issues you and your guests experienced. I will ensure that we talk to the travel agency that booked your room with us to ensure that they communciate to any future business the cost of parking a vehicle with us. While our pricing is competitive neighboring hotels; parking is very limited in Los Angeles Downtown and properties in the area do charge.

Often times, when guests check in using a debit card the hold that hotels take will reflect as a charge since the card used is a debit card. This hold is released the day of check out by our Property Management System but the card issuing bank may take up to 7-10 business days before the funds are returned back into your account.

Again I am sorry for the challenges you experienced and if there is anything further I can assist with please contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had business with the City of LA and found the Doubletree to be very convenient. It was a short walk to the meetings. The hotel was clean and staff were very helpful. There is a good Starbucks right out the back door. Only downside was street noise but any hotel in downtown may have that. Overall, I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hello Judith, I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your kind words and feedback; I am glad we were a solid find for you and you will visit us again in the future. Please feel free to contact me at Orlando.Salazar@hilton.com for any future assitance.