“perfect stay in Los Angeles”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
Ranked #59 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wallisellen, Switzerland
“perfect stay in Los Angeles”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We choosed this hotel for our two days in Los Angeles. First we had an old room facing the main street on a lower floor. After checking with the reception we could change in to a lovely new room on a high floor with a view of downtown Los Angeles. The room was perfect! Only the bathroom was too small.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. The only bad thing was the expensive parking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mitchell L, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for the feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your stay. FYI - ALL the rooms will be completely renovated by the end of November 2012.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Close to Japantown.
My room on the 8th floor was very clean and nice.
It is located only about 10 minutes from downtown LA and minutes to Japantown.
The rooms were spacious with lots of extra amenities that you can't find in other hotel rooms.
The front desk staff were very courteous and informative.
It's in walking distance to Japanese Memorial museum and Japantown..
My package included free breakfast for two and free parking and free internet.

Room Tip: Best Breakfast Service!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We're very glad you enjoyed your stay!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. Hotel was clean and well kept but rooms were small. Hotel bar staff was not very friendly and drinks were subpar. Hotel was too far from Convention Center/Staples center area, but walking distance to metro.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you the constructive feedback. I'm sorry you had some difficulty in the bar; our bartenders normally get great reviews. For future stays remember we provide complimentary transportation to and from the convention center. This is nice and convenient because you don't have to worry about the costly parking in the LA Live area.
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree in downtown LA for the LA triathlon. Very nice hotel, friendly and fast service, great amenities, excellent breakfast buffet. Parking is available but it is not cheap at $28 a night, self-park.

Downtown LA turned out to be an exciting place with great restaurants, side-walk cafes and outdoor activities in Little Tokyo (nearby).

Room Tip: The high rooms have a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank E
Thanks for the great review!
Kiel, Germany
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Despite the fact that the hotel is located at downtown, the area is not very friendly and at night we did not feel really safe. There is a Starbucks right next door to the hotel, but the breakfast buffet is really worth the 23 Dollar at the hotel, give it a try! The staff is friendly and again we got a room with stunning views over Los Angeles. Despite the high rating, we would consider next time an other hotel, more close to better areas in the city. And there is one big downside: The hotel is located next to a police station... you do the math.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I love this place. Its my favorite place to go to while in Los Angeles. The first time came it wasn't that great of an experience maybe because they had just opened up as a doubletree and they were under alot of renovations. I decided to give this place a second chance and visit this property again while visiting Los Angeles California to celebrate my daughters 7th birthday and Im glad i did because its a big difference in improvements. I was very pleased and impressed with the changes in such little time. I want to thank Maria in the care department. She is very helpful and attentive to all of our needs and treated my family and i very wonderful. I appreciate that very much. Napoleon was also awesome this time around. I love the way he greeted Diamond members in a special way. I thought that was very respectful. Thank u that was also a big change and adjustment with him than the last experience with him. Ramon the bell man is also wonderful. He treated my family great. He is very friendly. Overall Im very proud of the staff and this hotel. You all are doing a great job and keep up the good work. I thank u all for giving us a wonderful stay. The only thing bad that i can say about this property is the value in price. I think there should be adjustments made there because 239 for a standard room there is ridiculous. And that isn't including tax and parking. Which is even more horrible. I would not pay that price to come to this property. It isn't worth it. And there isn't a pool here. I paid with my points which is the only reason why i stayed here at this property otherwise Im sorry and I hate to say it but the price isn't worth it. Otherwise I'd visit this property above all properties.

• Stayed September 2012
Redwood City, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I first checked out rates for the hotel, I saw that they had a variety of suite options, and for a minimal price difference over standard rooms. As it appeared that these suites were renovated per the site, I chose to reserve a suite that was described as having two bathrooms, one bedroom.

I got a cookie when I checked in! nice! But if you're allergic to nuts, may want to ask them before taking a bite. Imagine my surprise when I checked in to the room - when I walked in, I was placed into a standard room so immediately went downstairs to verify that my reservation was made correctly. When I asked the front desk, they told me that the room I booked did not exist, they had no suites with two bathrooms except for the presidential suite and that the website must have been wrong. After waiting an hour in the standard room, I got a call that in fact the room I booked did exist and that they would move me immediately. It was definitely a pain and I was disappointed that the staff did not know their own hotel offerings. I understand that the hotel recently became a Doubletree so the staff may all be new but training should have at least ensured that the staff is aware of the hotel grounds!

Besides the snafu at checkin, everything else was average. Rooms were clean, hotel was clean, but definitely could use a nice update. Sure, there were mounted flatscreen televisions, but when you stick a nice tv on a wall of a room that has furniture that looks like it's from 20 years ago, modern is not what I would call it. It was convenient to walk across the street to the Vibiana for special events and there is limited self-parking in the underground garage. Overall if I had to go to another event at Vibiana I would stay here again as it was good value, but otherwise I'd stay somewhere else, unless they update a lot more than the TV's.

Giving average ratings across the board as they did work on getting me the room I requested and were sincerely apologetic. Everything else was acceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends