“Best Hotel in the Area”

San Francisco, CA
“Best Hotel in the Area”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Close to Japantown.
My room on the 8th floor was very clean and nice.
It is located only about 10 minutes from downtown LA and minutes to Japantown.
The rooms were spacious with lots of extra amenities that you can't find in other hotel rooms.
The front desk staff were very courteous and informative.
It's in walking distance to Japanese Memorial museum and Japantown..
My package included free breakfast for two and free parking and free internet.

Room Tip: Best Breakfast Service!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Mitchell L, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We're very glad you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. Hotel was clean and well kept but rooms were small. Hotel bar staff was not very friendly and drinks were subpar. Hotel was too far from Convention Center/Staples center area, but walking distance to metro.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you the constructive feedback. I'm sorry you had some difficulty in the bar; our bartenders normally get great reviews. For future stays remember we provide complimentary transportation to and from the convention center. This is nice and convenient because you don't have to worry about the costly parking in the LA Live area.
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree in downtown LA for the LA triathlon. Very nice hotel, friendly and fast service, great amenities, excellent breakfast buffet. Parking is available but it is not cheap at $28 a night, self-park.

Downtown LA turned out to be an exciting place with great restaurants, side-walk cafes and outdoor activities in Little Tokyo (nearby).

Room Tip: The high rooms have a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank E
Thanks for the great review!
Kiel, Germany
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Despite the fact that the hotel is located at downtown, the area is not very friendly and at night we did not feel really safe. There is a Starbucks right next door to the hotel, but the breakfast buffet is really worth the 23 Dollar at the hotel, give it a try! The staff is friendly and again we got a room with stunning views over Los Angeles. Despite the high rating, we would consider next time an other hotel, more close to better areas in the city. And there is one big downside: The hotel is located next to a police station... you do the math.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I love this place. Its my favorite place to go to while in Los Angeles. The first time came it wasn't that great of an experience maybe because they had just opened up as a doubletree and they were under alot of renovations. I decided to give this place a second chance and visit this property again while visiting Los Angeles California to celebrate my daughters 7th birthday and Im glad i did because its a big difference in improvements. I was very pleased and impressed with the changes in such little time. I want to thank Maria in the care department. She is very helpful and attentive to all of our needs and treated my family and i very wonderful. I appreciate that very much. Napoleon was also awesome this time around. I love the way he greeted Diamond members in a special way. I thought that was very respectful. Thank u that was also a big change and adjustment with him than the last experience with him. Ramon the bell man is also wonderful. He treated my family great. He is very friendly. Overall Im very proud of the staff and this hotel. You all are doing a great job and keep up the good work. I thank u all for giving us a wonderful stay. The only thing bad that i can say about this property is the value in price. I think there should be adjustments made there because 239 for a standard room there is ridiculous. And that isn't including tax and parking. Which is even more horrible. I would not pay that price to come to this property. It isn't worth it. And there isn't a pool here. I paid with my points which is the only reason why i stayed here at this property otherwise Im sorry and I hate to say it but the price isn't worth it. Otherwise I'd visit this property above all properties.

• Stayed September 2012
Redwood City, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I first checked out rates for the hotel, I saw that they had a variety of suite options, and for a minimal price difference over standard rooms. As it appeared that these suites were renovated per the site, I chose to reserve a suite that was described as having two bathrooms, one bedroom.

I got a cookie when I checked in! nice! But if you're allergic to nuts, may want to ask them before taking a bite. Imagine my surprise when I checked in to the room - when I walked in, I was placed into a standard room so immediately went downstairs to verify that my reservation was made correctly. When I asked the front desk, they told me that the room I booked did not exist, they had no suites with two bathrooms except for the presidential suite and that the website must have been wrong. After waiting an hour in the standard room, I got a call that in fact the room I booked did exist and that they would move me immediately. It was definitely a pain and I was disappointed that the staff did not know their own hotel offerings. I understand that the hotel recently became a Doubletree so the staff may all be new but training should have at least ensured that the staff is aware of the hotel grounds!

Besides the snafu at checkin, everything else was average. Rooms were clean, hotel was clean, but definitely could use a nice update. Sure, there were mounted flatscreen televisions, but when you stick a nice tv on a wall of a room that has furniture that looks like it's from 20 years ago, modern is not what I would call it. It was convenient to walk across the street to the Vibiana for special events and there is limited self-parking in the underground garage. Overall if I had to go to another event at Vibiana I would stay here again as it was good value, but otherwise I'd stay somewhere else, unless they update a lot more than the TV's.

Giving average ratings across the board as they did work on getting me the room I requested and were sincerely apologetic. Everything else was acceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We actually didn't end up staying at this hotel because of what we found. To begin with, we drove up to the Valet area and sat in our car for 15 minutes before getting out and talking to the Valet. He had already seen us and was busy looking busy. When we asked him if he could park our car, he pointed to a driveway and said "You can also go to the Self-Park". So, that should have given us an indicator of where the evening was going to go. We checked in, put our items in the room and went downstairs to have dinner. On our way down, we find the surly Valet attendant in the Elevator again - not sure what he was doing but ok. We make our way to Azalea Restaurant and the service is great, wonderful presentation. The prices are a bit steep for the quality of the food, but we figure it must be Downtown LA's standards to overcharge. After dinner, we walk by the Rendesvouz Lounge and admire the set up, Lounge Seating, etc. Very nice for after work if needed. We walk around a bit and notice that there are many areas closed off or under construction, hopefully it will be done soon because it really does take away from the hotel. So, we make it to our room. In the bathroom we find a bunch of long hair strands stuck to the wall and the door and when I reach to grab a towel to wipe them off, they are on the towel too! I'm not sure if the room was not cleaned or the towels not changed, but that was disgusting! I look down at the floor and there's mold on the mouldings and corners. We didn't even want to know what was not cleaned or changed out in the rest of the room. Grossed out, we left and stayed elsewhere. By this time, the surly Valet is somewhere else. We give our ticket to a nice young man, Pavel, who promptly brings our vehicle. Aside from the service at the Azalea, he was the only other staff member who was helpful and friendly. Not sure if it's the training or lack of, but overall the new hotel was disappointing at best.

Room Tip: Please make sure they actually clean your room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business