“It's all about the staff!”

Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites
Ranked #31 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Ok, I agree with everyone else. The location of this hotel is downright seedy and the rooms are clean but very basic. What makes this hotel shine is the wonderful staff. We had a car and this location made getting around LA and Santa Monica easy. The warm greeting we received each and every time we returned to the hotel made it feel like home.
Pool wasn't much. Breakfast was quite good with a good selection of options.
In the end, I was won over and glad that we stayed at this hotel. I hope they recognize how important those warm and wonderful employees are!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family of four stayed here for three nights in Aug. 2013 to visit family in West L.A. All the staff here are friendly and extremely hard-working. Fred, at reception, is a particular stand-out--very warm, responsive and accommodating. The first night of our arrival we weren't able to get into a top floor room, as requested, because one wasn't available. However, we did receive a room on the quieter side of the hotel as we'd wanted. The desk clerk on duty made a note that night so that we might change to our preferred floor the following day. Fred was very good about following up on our room request the next morning, and generously gave us a chance to look at several rooms and choose between them. He offered to have our formidable luggage re-located to the new room, as well (I had our strong teen boys handle this job, rather than trouble staff). I'm a light sleeper, and happily I never heard noise from the other rooms- probably thick walls since it's an older hotel. And I was pleased that we were never disturbed by cleaning staff in the mornings, as happens at some hotels. We never had a chance to use the pool, sauna, fitness room or pool table. It's clear that the staff here care lots about their customers' experience. Don't be put off by this being an older hotel. This hotel is a great value for L.A., and was a positive experience for our family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Yes, our double queen suite had 2 queen beds & a little roomette off the bedroom with a dusty couch & TV. In that sense, the profile matched the real thing. Here's the rub. Decor (if you can call it that) is old & depressing. From the carpet to the furniture to the bed spreads. The pillows - dumpy & uncomfortable. The bathroom - really small & narrow. Not much wiggle room. Overall, just didn't feel all that comfortable. And while there's complimentary breakfast with the usual fare - eggs, waffles, toaster, etc. - there are few tables and we kind of lost our appetite waiting for an open seat. The price wasn't a great bargain either. Oh well. Won't be coming back here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank FamilyTravel411
Jeff S, General Manager at Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

I am sorry we were not able to provide exceptional services or comfort to your liking, We do appreciate you honest review and we are currently looking into a bathroom make-over to make them bigger, brighter, hopefully by years end. As we run almost 100% occupancy, breakfast can get tight sometimes when everyone's comes to eat at the same time, we have open the pool area for extra sitting as weather permits, and in LA, that is pretty much all the time. I hope that you would give us another opportunity to meet your travel needs the next time you visit Los Angeles.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I liked the hotel. But it is in a residential area. The breakfast area is small and crowded. The room was nice. It is an older hotel remodeled. The closets were huge, almost bigger than the bathroom. I am a light sleeper and I slept fine, the bed was comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and stay here again. The separate room with couch and tv would be great if we had been traveling with others....no fighting over the TV. The rooms also had a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, dryer, etc. The room was clean, comfortable and relaxing. The required valet parking was something I had not encountered before and I did not like that much but with the lack of parking space I can see why they have it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate the time you took to write your review, we do strive to provide exceptional customer service, regarding the Valet Service, we provide this complimentary service as parking is limited & tight, BUT it is NOT mandatory and I am sorry if you felt it was. There is plenty of self-parking on the street directly in front of the hotel, as well as an area behind the main building, down a tight driveway. I am`also glad to hear you found our location central, with easy access to most of LA's landmarks from Santa Monica to Hollywood and all points in-between. Thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Rooms are quite nice, but the hotel has a bad smell - dank and old. And the neighbours have dogs that bark incessantly. After 36 hours of flights, we really needed our sleep...
Location is OK - close enough to LAX and also Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Riblets
Jeff S, General Manager at Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I have had a discussion with our neighbors pet, and he apologizes for disturbing your sleep, seems he was having a bad night also, and was just voicing his concerns. He promised me he would keep his barking to a minimum during day light hours in the future.

Honestly, it is feed back such as yours that inform us of areas that may need attention, I will keep an ear out to make sure that this is NOT a ongoing / nightly event.

It is our desire that all our guest get the rest they need to enjoy their stay while here in LA.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were upgraded to a suite which was so big. Free wifi and free parking w valet service too. It's location would require a car but that's L.A. You need a car and GPS. We didn't use the spa outdoors but I saw some guests using it at the end of the day. Amenities in bathroom was complete.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

For the individual or family who needs a hotel room close to LAX, this hotel is great. Approx 6.5 miles from the airport, this Best Western Plus Royal Palace Inn & Suites is the one by choice.
Prices are excellent, pool spa are available . Complementary newspapers and continental breakfast is served in the morning. What more can one say.

Room Tip: My wife and I had a very nice cozy room to the right of the main house
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
#44 of 353 in Los Angeles
Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills

Been to Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!