“Horrible Hotel!”

Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset
Ranked #133 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 8, 2012

First off we booked through Priceline, thought $63 for a 2 star hotel wasn't too bad,even though it said it was only a 14% savings. Once we got there though they refused to give us two beds without paying a $25 'upgrade' fee. Funny thing is that put the hotel price above the regular price. I've used priceline several times and never had a hotel refuse to give us two beds. At this point though I had two very hungry and tired newborns in the car and couldnt get a refund from priceline so I paid it. The room was very small, it smelled of bug spray and the beds were full size, instead of queen like most hotels but at least it seemed cleaned. We were exhausted so just crashed (as soon as the babies let us). That night we found a baby roach in the bathroom, but it was just one so wasn't a big deal but the next day we went to use the microwave and when we opened the door about 20 baby roaches scattered. Was completely disgusted and then when I looked down at my food they were crawling on it. We were going to stay till about 10 so that we could skip the traffic but about 8 the room started filling with cigarette smoke, I opened the door and no one was smoking outside so I'm guessing it came from next door. We started packing up and left asap, as I'm allergic to smoke and didnt want the girls to be exposed to it either. I spoke to the manager who just blew me off and made a complaint through priceline, who contacted them but they refused to give us a refund or even apologize.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank azbtrfly

Reviewed November 8, 2012

When I arrived I needed to use a restroom. I was escorted to a hotel room that had yet to been cleaned. No public restrooms available for guests. Later when my room was ready, Room 127, It was clean with fresh paint and varnish smells. I decided not to complain, I would take the smell over crusty carpet in other reviews. When I turned on my bedside lamp at 4am, ###cockroaches scurried off the table###. I reached for the phone to call the front desk and more bugs scurried. So I grabbed my cell and called the front desk. He was polite and told me he would need to call me back.
I loaded my luggage into my car, took a shower, curled my hair and dressed for the day. No call returned yet. I drove to the front desk. (free parking is a great plus at this hotel). The night clerk said he did call me back and I didn't answer?? I said I had my phone next to me. He said he called the room. I never heard the phone and the trunk of my car was only 10 feet from the door. He said the manager would be in after a 8 am, I should call him. OKay, it's 4:30 am in LA what do you do? I found a McDonalds and slept in my car.
After 8am I called and was told the manager would be in after 10am. My next availablity to call was later in the day. I got a hold of the manager. It was quite a confusing phone call. We had a bit of a language barrier. But I understood that the problem was addressed and I could return to my room. (meaning the bugs were extermenated). I said I did not want to return. He credited my charge account for the next two nights of my stay, but said he would not refund the $$ for the first night since I left with out telling them, and I did not let his employee to come to the room?? Which was not correct. He said he would talk to his employee and get back to me. I said check you cameras. I had not moved the cones in the parking lot or my car till after 4:30am and talked to the clerk before I drove away. What should I have done? I have never run into cockroaches before, I did not want to bring them along for the rest of my trip.
!!At what price of a room rate should you expect cockroaches are exceptable?? !!! He told me I had quite a discount on my room and they are always sold out. Like that woule make me feel better about the bugs?
I ended paying double for the next two nights for my room and $25/day parking.
The pool was clean. I saw employees working outside restaining the furniture. It was really better than expected from the reviews. The room was small, two double beds, small frig and microwave. Minus cockroaches it may have been fine. The neighborhood was shadier than I was comfortable walking around in.
I found many of the agrumental points of the manager to be degrading to the point of calling me a Liar. I asked if he called me a liar and he said he was speaking to my phone???

Room Tip: I don't know how to tell you sleep with the thought of bugs crawling on you and in your luggages...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank grbypkr

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank saw957
Reviewed November 7, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ELIZABETH M
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The convenience of this Motel you can not beat, right across the street from the hospital where my grandson was having surgery. The price of the room was reasonable and the staff was friendly and allowed me on the day of check out to keep my car there while I was visiting my grandson. I would stay here again, just would prefer a room away from the vending machine next time... :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

You get what you pay for and this small motel is well located, clean, has friendly staff and is very cheap. What more do you need? Breakfast was a little ropey but there was food to eat and the pool is more of a suggestion than a workout but all good!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A great little hotel in the heart of all the action lovely rooms so many great food places to eat at and some great shopping near by after a full day out it lovely to come back to clean room with a comfy bed and great pillows the only down side the wi-Di was not working for a couple if days would come and stay again the free breaky filled our needs

• Stayed: October 2012