“Back again!”

Ranked #3 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney
“Back again!”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

It was our second visit to the Hollywood Orchid Suites in two years and we were not disappointed! Got a room at the back of the complex with it's own balcony, a perfect spot to dine, relax with a book/iPad, and soak up the beautiful LA sunshine, with clear views of the hills behind.

Positives:
- Spotless rooms and efficient housekeeping service
- Friendly service from the staff on the front desk
- Plentiful continental breakfast
- Location central to local attractions, public transport, restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacy, retail outlets, departure points for tours/day trips
- Free wi-fi
- In-room safe
- Large, comfortable beds
- We found the other guests to be reasonably quiet throughout our stay
- Basement parking garage
- Coin-operated laundry with washing powder/softener vending machine
- Ice machine and vending machines on basement level

Drawbacks:
- Delivery trucks arriving from 6am at the back of Hollywood & Highland and Renaissance Hotel, however this cannot be helped and is NOT a fault of the hotel. Ear plugs work well to block the noise caused by the trucks.

We will ALWAYS consult the Hollywood Orchid Suites on any future stays in LA, a stay here is very well worth the price paid!

Room Tip: Third floor (if possible); towards the far end of the complex.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I wanted to give this hotel 3 and a half out of 5, but since that isn't allowed I went for 3 out of 5. 3 seems a little too mean as there are so many positives about the hotel, it's just that the negatives really did make a difference to our stay.
First let me start by saying my husband and I are in our late 30's. Hardly party animals, not noisy people by nature. We arrived in LA from the UK late afternoon and tried to get straight on LA time, but inevitably we were wide awake at 3am the following morning. We got up, took showers and dressed - all done quietly, no TV turned on or anything. Yet the front desk found it necessary to call us around 4.30am to say that someone had complained about the "noise"!!!! What, the noise of us walking to the bathroom and back and having showers??! I explained to the person who called that we had simply arisen early, showered & dressed and they said yes.....it was probably the sound of the shower!
That night when the people upstairs above us arrived back after their day out and we could hear every single footstep, every creak of the floorboards, hear when they flushed the toilet and when the shower ran, we understood how our everyday living sounds could have been heard. Still, a bit rich to complain and worse still that the hotel then called us - as if it's our fault the walls and floors are so thin your neighbours can hear you? Clearly it's an ongoing issue - so the hotel need to deal with it, not put the onus on paying guests! I have read MANY other reviews saying the same - so if you are okay walking on eggshells out of fear of offending people, this is the hotel for you. To my mind though, a hotel should be used to dealing with international travellers from different time zones and making sure that the hotel can handle this. I can honestly say - hand on heart - that we did not make any excessive noise, or much noise at all. We felt very awkward after the complaint, and more than a little upset.
The bathroom was very small and quite shabby - dirty tiles, grouting etc. The taps in the sink area were old, dirty and need replacing. The suite itself (room 210) is spacious, with a new flat screen TV and dresser but the whole place has a feel of being old and basic, but we are fine with that - after all, it was also on the whole clean, safe and roomy.
The positives are the location - you cannot get closer to Hollywood Blvd, the Metro, Hollywood & Highland shopping centre and The Kodak Theatre without paying twice, three times the price. This is the trade off you make - you get a very reasonable price of $109 per night if you book through the hotel website.
Breakfast was very good, the communal areas (pool, roof terrace, lobby, computer area etc) are all clean and well maintained.
The staff here are simply wonderful. Every single person we interacted with was polite, attentive and helpful; they are a credit to the hotel. The housekeeping is spot on.
I wanted to love this hotel. By the end of the holiday I was feeling better about it all. Would I return? Probably, just for the price and the location.
The Wifi is very sketchy. We often could not pick up the hotel wifi and ended up being connected to another network which worked better!
With some updating, replacements made to basic things such as faucets and some replacement carpeting/walls/soundproofing, this hotel could be a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Vending machines with drinks (from $1.50) and snacks (from $0.85) on the ground floor, next door to...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I just got back from my most recent trip and spent 5 nights at the Hollywood Orchid suites. It was my 2nd visit to the Hollywood Orchid - my friend and I stayed there a couple of years ago and really liked it, the only reason we hadn't stayed there on our last trip that it was already booked! It is a small hotel & apparently rather popular so my advice is book well in advance to get your room :) If you book directly through the hotel's own website you will get the best rate, we booked a room with 2 double beds and a kitchenette (fridge & mini stove with 2 burners, a cabinet of pans & dishes & silverware but no microwave)

It is nothing lavish andt the furnishings and rooms look a bit dated but the Hollywood Orchid Suites has lots going for it - #1 is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It is immediately hidden behind the big Hollywood and Highland complex, I mean immediately as in walk outside the loading docks & cross the street and there it is. From the pool area you see the back wall of the Kodak Theater a few feet away. We went to see the Cirque Du Soliel Iris show in that complex as well as a Jimmy Kimmel taping across the street and it was wonderful to have such a short walk and not worry about parking and traffic.You can also catch the subway from there up to Universal Studios.

Parking is free (great value!) and quite adequate for the hotel. I got a chuckle out of the fact that every parking space is named for a celebrity, I had enough trouble remembering what my nondescript silver rental car looked like but I could remember if it was "Brad Pitt" or "Angelina Jolie" very easily : )

the staff are all very friendly and helpful and glad to recommend things in the neighborhood and post helpful ideas of what to do in the elevators. A very nice continental breakfast is provided and they have a computer set up with a printer in the 2nd floor breakfast area that was very handy for printing out tickets. My only (very) minor complaint is that their wifi isn't very strong and connecting is a bit spotty in the rooms but worked better in the hall and breakfast area, at least we were able to do what we needed to do and didn't spend that much time awake hanging in the hotel as we kept very busy!

It is definitely nothing fancy and if you 1st class accomodations and la-ded-ah decorating then pay 3x as much and stay at the Renaissance next door but I find the Hollywood Orchid Suites to be a great value and nothing could be more convenient! Will definitely be returning to our hidden gem - I have to admit I initially found it through TripAdvisor reviews and am grateful for the recommendations I have used!

Room Tip: Book in advance as it is a small hotel and is frequently booked up!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sistinas138
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2011

The main reasons we booked this hotel was its location and the price which were both great, the location particularly was fantastic. Looking at the pictures from other reviewers we weren’t expecting anything fancy and we were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room how large and clean it was. The hotel staff were friendly and knowledgeable and they sold tickets to Universal and other attractions at the front desk. We just had a few issues that were more bad luck than anything (the air conditioner was not working properly and there was a heatwave while we were there, the toilet got blocked the first day and we were given a plunger when we brought it to the attention of the staff). All in all it’s good value for money, but as others have said it needs refurbishment. If you don’t need to stay 5 star and want to save a bit of money this is the perfect hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bek_J87
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My friends and I stayed here on a visit to see Cirque du Soleil at the Kokak and also to visit the Getty. This hotel is RIGHT NEXT to the theater, literally. Great if you are visiting all the typical Hollywood spots. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Don't miss the Farmer's Market on Sunday. The Cirque du Soleil performance was great and also the trip to the Getty. The Orchid Suites were a great deal, very roomy, private parking, ... we were out and about, not hanging out at the hotel. I would stay again if in the area. Very good deal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Gurgaon
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This hotel is really well-located being close to Hollywood (the Kodak Theatre / Universal Studios) but the place is old and needs refurbishment. The staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast selection was decent.

Bonifay, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We just vacationed in the Kings Canyon area ( vrbo Bunny Hill house ) and I wanted the kids to be able to see Hollywood so we needed somewhere to stay for 3 nights. This place looked great but some of the negative reviews had me extremely concerned. I'm SO glad I didn't let them cause me to change plans. Adam was great as was everyone else. The location was unbeatable and we felt very safe the entire time. You park underneath and a gate lifts up to let you drive in the garage...we were driving a Suburban and we JUST were able to squeak underneath but made it okay. The elevators were fairly quick and clean. The pool looked nice but we didn't use it. There is a top terrace where they have some chairs and tables, very nice. If you decide to visit the Griffith Observatory (which I highly suggest) the Orchid is situated right off Franklin which makes the trip to and back a breeze. If we ever go back to the area I would not hesitate staying there again. We were in room 308 which had the separate bedroom and full kitchen. Please do NOT let the negative reviews bother you, I guess you just can't please some people. To the management and staff of the Orchid, thanks for making our stay a great one and thanks again to Adam for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Room Tip: Room 308 was perfect
1 Thank AndyfromFL