“Coffee maker had old moldy filter in it, then they charged us 50.00 for it after checkout”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #132 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Arrived July 9 for 4 day reservation. There was no one at the front desk to check us in. Had a look around while waiting. Place looked fine as others have commented. Lady arrived and checked us in to room 108. Went to room and it smelled like urine and musty. Turned on air for a while and it was better. Went to the front desk to request an extra pillow and the lady was most helpful...we went to the storeroom and she provided the pillow.

A short time after the wife went to make a coffee with in room maker. She found an old very moldy used coffee filter in the maker. I took the coffee maker (minus the carafe) to the front desk and showed the lady and asked for a different maker. She explained the room had not been used due to a lock replacement issue so that sounded reasonable as to why the filter was that moldy, having been left there for sometime. The lady and I went to the storeroom but she was unable to find an extra. I told her my wife really didn't want to use or have the moldy coffee maker in the room so the lady said she would have it cleaned and replaced. It never was replaced but since wee were busy touring hollywood and universal over the 4 days it wasn't a major issue.

A couple days later I saw a 50.00 usd charge on the visa so I called choice hotels international (ashley) to report the illegal charge. Ashley said hotel has 7 days to respond. I confirmed our home phone number but said we would be on the road for another week..

Arrived home and there was no message from the hotel so I called the hotel direct on July 23 and gave date of stay and clerk was confused why I was calling about a past stay and said to call manager (Karen Anderson).

In the meantime I called choice hotels international to follow up on the file and Sarah said her records show the hotel never responded but also said the complaint is marked "international" and she didn't understand why. She said international complaints have 7-10 days to respond and it has only been 7. She put me on hold to call the hotel direct then came back on the line and said the hotel rep had hung up on her! I asked her to document this as it doesn't seem wise for an employee of the franchisee to hand up on the franchisor! Sarah said she would try to contact the manager later and get back to me. Sarah said to check my original bill as I didn't know the name of the lady who checked me in and had possession of the coffee maker so I did. The invoice indicates Karen Anderson, the helpful lady, had checked us in so it seems that housekeeping hasn't communicated with her or they would know why, and where the coffee maker is.

I am somewhat annoyed that I have had to spend this much time resolving the 50.00 charge particularly as we never had use of it for the 4 days. That is where I am at right now so we'll see how Choice hotels and Karen deal with this.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I had to find an affordable place near Cedar-Sinai as I had sinus surgery scheduled the next day. The manager Karen allowed me to book a room at the last minute. What was really impressive is that the staff took very special care of my elderly dad when I had to unexpectedly stay overnight at the hospital.

Kudos to Above and Beyond service!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed April 16, 2010

The first couple hours of the stay really were pretty good. The manager was kind enough to fax a couple important documents for me without any charge which I thought was quite nice. Then my girlfriend and I settled into the room and noticed that the bottoms of our feet were both filthy dirty, and we had just taken off our socks ten minutes earlier. We cleaned ourself up and then took a wet rag and wiped across the carpet and the dirt had come from there. The entire carpet was dark colored and filthy. We asked them to provide us towels so we could at least cover the carpet which they did do but at this point, we had lost all confidence in the cleanliness of the room. I totally realize that it is an economy motel, but to have my feel get dirty by walking around in my room is pretty sad. Kind of made my skin crawl.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2010

The photos & few good words about this hotel made me book a room here. But believe me , it wa not even 50% of what I expected !!...The hotel ambience is very ordinary & so are the rooms. breakfast counter is in the reception & I didnt see anything there other than couple of donuts..... You better avoid this place unless your are getting it for free...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chote123
Reviewed September 17, 2009

good hotel tom live in good rooms with 900 good roooms

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Viewed all opinions on this website and determined this hotel would be good for my husband and me. We were in Los Angeles for eight nights, five at the Econo Lodge. Our goal was to see Hollywood and experience Los Angeles. The hotel was for sleeping, showering, and resting. We arrived at 6:00p.m. and were shown our room. It was room #105, pool level, non-smoking, king size bed. After reading the reviews I examined the room carefully and found it clean and orderly. There were no ants, the carpet was clean, the sheets were fresh smelling and clean, and the bathroom appeared to have recently been remodeled. The hotel reminded me of the many road trip vacations taken during the 60s and 70s with my parents. This is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL.

What did I like about this motel? The clean room, the laundry, the general vintage appeal, and the grocery store right next door!! I walked to the grocery store every morning to get my fresh fruit and Starbucks coffee. There is also a Panda Express and a deli. Yes, there is breakfast with donuts, english muffins, coffee, tea, and a juice product (Hi-C while we were there). The donuts were not "prepackaged" items, they were purchased from the Yum Yum donut store on the corner every morning. The toaster was not broken, it worked perfectly. My husband loved the donuts, I prefer fresh fruit and yogurt. To further my list of "likes" I utilized the fridge and microwave every day. It stored soda pop, milk, fruit, yogurt, and bottles of water. The microwave worked great to heat up left over food.

What didn't I like about the hotel? Well, it was hard to find much wrong except perhaps the cobweb hanging from the ceiling in the main room area. I snatched it down with a towel - you may find cobwebs at my house too! Further, perhaps the area? I can't complain about the area as we chose to stay in Hollywood and were well aware of the "night" activity in the area. During the day the area is fine, yet at night there are numerous street people as there are in ALL areas of Los Angeles. We walked during the day and up until 1:30a.m. while we were there and never once were bothered by anyone. Be both confident and aware of your surroundings as you should be in any city. Also, it is true the walls are thin and you can hear people outside and above you, but that is a common thing with all older lodging facilities.

Now, I have to throw this into the review.....we stayed one night at the Roosevelt Hotel (big 5 star hotel which we paid $280 for one night, stayed next to the Marilyn Monroe room) and I say the Econo Lodge was far better than the Roosevelt. The hallways at the Roosevelt are dark and had an odor. Dark brown carpet, tan walls, dark brown doors, and absolutely no wall decorations at all.. The room was similar to the Econo Lodge, perhaps more plain in the color scheme. We also stayed one night at the Beverly Hills Hotel and as expected it was an EXTRAVAGANT, POSH experience which was far above the Econo Lodge, but the price was six times the Econo Lodge also!!

We will be returning to California in the next six months and plan to stay at the Econo Lodge again with our three children. The hotel suited our needs, was clean, and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MinnesotaM-GreenBay
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We spent in Hollywood two nights. And it was too much. Hollywood is much below what it can be and people expect from this place. Now I am not surprised that hotel is in such condition and with such the poor service. To have the pool in the middle of the hotel is too less to be a real argument for staying there. Breakfast doesn't exist. Rooms need reconstruction and remodelling. The worst thing is the external corridor. Next time I will chose an other place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family