“Reasonable for the price - walk to Hollywood attractions”

Days Inn Hollywood Near Universal Studios
Ranked #119 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Syracuse, NY
“Reasonable for the price - walk to Hollywood attractions”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Our primary need was for a comfortable room since we were mostly going to be there after seeing the nearby attractions. It is an older style hotel with many rooms facing the pool in an atrium style setting. When I was told while booking the hotel that we were being upgraded from a double to queen beds it wasn't clear that it was ONE bed. Luckily there was only two of us the first day, but two more were coming in for days two and three. The clerk at the front desk accommodated us by providing a rollaway bed the first night and offering us an upgraded poolside room for the next two nights. The poolside room had a lot more space and was fine for our needs. Overall the front desk clerk was very courteous and helpful.

The hotel was great for walking access to the Hollywood attractions along Hollywood Blvd and the walk of stars area. We also visited Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, and the beaches (Venice & Malibu). Universal was very close and that made it easy to get there early in the day. Trying to plan your driving to avoid rush hour can be helpful.

It was nice to have the pool to jump into after hitting the beach. It was clean and decent sized. The poolside room was roomy and had modern 32" LCD televisions. Our first room with one queen bed was quite a bit smaller and darker since it wasn't a poolside room. If I went back, I would definitely opt for a poolside room (some have mini-kitchens, ours did)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
SLC, UT
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Overall the room wasn't bad. It was fairly cheap, you get what you paid for. But what was upsetting to me, was the fact that housekeeping stole an expensive necklace off the nightstand! If you stay here, I suggest you don't leave anything out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Manchester
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed here on part of our road tour around west U.S.A. after trawling around hollywood trying to get a decent motel.

We only wanted a night or two to see the usual sights and have a stress free time. The guy on the door early evening was a very helpfull young guy who said it was no problem to let them know if we would require another night in the morning before check out time (11) but we could check out at the latest at 12.

The stay was ok and the room was fine, the location was close to the boulevard which seemed a little tacky and rough around the edges.

In the morning i asked to extend our stay as we felt we could do more sight seeing. This time it was a woman at the desk and without a batter of an eyelid said they were full.... I explained we allready had a room and that i was told should i want it again i should let them know before 11am.

Fair enough they run a hotel and i can understand them selling the room before i had a chance to book it again... no big deal. At around 11 am we were packing up and i got a phone call from the same woman explaining we had to be out now. I said i would go and speek to her at reception.

I got there and told her that i thouht we had to be out by 12 at the latest. She took a very judgemental tone and started saying she wanted us out right away. I said this wasnt possible and she started to say she would charge us. I told her about the staff member from the night before and she said she would sack him.

By this point i lost my rag with her and suggested she was a misserable person who was not happy with her job and she proceeded to threated me with the police. I explained i would not be leaving until 12 and that she would not be charging me. She eventually refused to talk with me and requested to talk to the card holder ( my girlfriend )
to which she eventully allowed us to stay till 12. Thanks a bunch...

In my view i wouldnt bother with hollywood... and certainly not with this hotel. Oh and the pool is not the same as in the picture. Its smaller.

Do visit Griffith Observatory and instead stay close by perhaps at venice beach? Its not a far drive and its alot nicer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We had booked a room for 3 nights, but ended up staying 10 days at Days Inn. We come from Denmark (Europe) and we had to go and get my mental ill brother home from L.A. We had a LOT of problems with the american system and problems with finding my brother...But the staff was just SO helpful and very understanding for our situation, especially one lady, she was really nice! They rented a car for us and called the airline company. So the front desk staff was really the top! - But the rooms are very old and dark - the AC/heater did not work at all (it was very cold in LA when we were there). They tried to fix it but they couldn't so we got a transportable one, but that broke down after 3 nights. They have an elevator, but don't use it - it's just SO slow and we really mean slow-you can't imagine! The pool looked nice and clean and the breakfast was okay, a lot of different cereals and bagels with jam and creamy cheese - juice tea and coffe. There's a coffemaker at the room and they leave coffebeans and tea for you every day - nice service! You also have your own refrigiator, that's also a good thing. The cleaning is also fine...We were very satisfied with our stay. Some of the things we missed while we were there was: A manual for the tv and for the AC and an inside smoking room, you were not allowed to smoke at your room or inside the hotel, only at the pool area. We would stay there again, for sure!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bettina1973
Modesto, California
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Have stayed at this hotel on three business trips. Not my idea but that of the company I work for.

This last trip, May 4, 2009, I was given a suite with king bed. The room was clean and the entrance door to the bathroom was so narrow, I almost had to walk sideways through it. Bathroom was clean but the towels were worn. The bed, as with all the beds in the rooms I have stayed in, in this hotel are as hard as rocks. I've slept on granite while backpacking in the Sierra's that was more comfortable.

Now for the air conditioning. There is a small unit above the entrance door to the room. To operate this device, you must use a remote control. Trying to get it to work correctly it should come with an operations manual.

On the inner court yard of the hotel is a swimming pool area with chairs and tables. This area is very clean but I can't say the same for the pool itself. At the bottom of the pool was lots of dirt. It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed out for over a week.

If you stay here, ask for a room at the back of the hotel as during the day and night it can get a bit noisy.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
CA
Reviewed March 6, 2009

The photos are so mis leading-seriously! The only luxury or fancy place in the whole hotel is the front desk! The elevator is so tiny-that it only fit my suitcase and I. (And I'm only 138 lbs!!) Next when I went to find my room it felt like I was in prison-going thru a maze-it has slits through the walls-I guess to ventilate the area because it has no AC! Finally, I got to my room to find out that it was dreadfully hot! I assumed it was that way because the ac wasn't on-turned out that the ac didn't work-so they brought me a fan!! The floor was uneven-the room was small-the bathroom was tiny with a tiny window that was opened. I complained about the ac they came out to fix it-didn't work-told me to wait a half an hour-then brought me a fan like I said. Didn't even move me to a different room!! Luckily, I just stayed there a couple hours coming from Universal-never again!! I paid $125.31-for a king sized bedroom-in which they told me the original price was $101 plus tax was $117-but apprently changed! Please don't waste your time-I recommend the Days Inn at Glendale-cheaper, nicer, and great staff!! Regina

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Mrs-Thang
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Where to begin...honestly, I'm humiliated that I didn't first investigate this hotel by reading Trip Advisor reviews BEFORE booking a reservation and taking my family there.

My wife and I planned a short holiday visit to Universal Studios and to see the sights this past December with our 8 year old son and 11 year old daughter. This was the worst hotel stay I have ever encountered in my 43 years on this planet. Don't fool yourself into thinking that I'm exaggerating, I'm serious. Our stay was terrible.

The Days Inn website boasts numerous amenities including a pool, friendly staff, a deluxe continental breakfast, and walking distance to the 'walk of fame'. What the website didn't mention was that there were things floating in the pool that shouldn't be floating in the pool, that the front desk staff was argumentative and spoke English as a 2nd. language, that breakfast would be stale, and that walking distance to the walk of fame really means non-stop traffic outside our room window 24-hours a day.

The elevator was broken so we had to carry our luggage up a flight of stairs, which proved to be a challenge because there wasn't anyone from the hotel WILLING to assist us. There was foot traffic outside of our room all night with light knocking on the doors and whispers, my wife and I could only conclude that someone most likely was running some sort of small time drug dealer operation out of there. Women walking in late at night dressed in stripper apparel....it was just bad.

We tried to hole up in room when we weren't out seeing the sights, but even that proved to be a feat. We had roaches...that right....roaches PLURAL that came out of our bathroom drains. Someone from the front desk came up with a spray bottle and sprayed out bathroom, and then left....they were very nonchalant about the entire thing, like it was routine for them to do.

I, we actually, wish we would have known about Trip Advisor BEFORE we booked this trip. We will never stay at a Days Inn again, Hollywood CA or not. It's obvious corporate isn't all that concerned with who uses their brand name.

• Liked — ????
  • Disliked — roaches, prostitues, drugs, traffic noise, rude service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank biz_e_travler