“Great location”

Ranked #42 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great location”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was going to show at Hotel Cafe so this location was prime. A bit older/run-down...not as nice as some of the 4-5 star hotels I've stayed in before it was completely fine/acceptable for the price. Enjoyed having the cafe downstairs in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it, we loved the hotel's Hollywood theme, full of memorabilia. We stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the beautiful pool which unfortunately we didn't get to use, the room was spacious the bathroom was lovely, roomy too all really nicely decorated. Contrary to some previous reviewers experience we found the service to be excellent, we arrived early but were shown straight to our rooms, all the staff we encountered were really friendly and helpful. The 101 cafe is great too we had lovely breakfasts and lunch there highly recommended. The location is good only a 5 minute drive to Universal Studios and a short walk to Hollywood Boulevard with the walk of fame, Chinese Theatre etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ventura, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Not only is the location in walking distance to many clubs, bars, restaurants, and music venues, it has a cool vibe and decor of retro Hollywood. Service has always been spot on. The restaurant is handy for "the morning after".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

london
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed at this place many times and like it very much. The staff are very lovely and you will struggle to get a better location for the price...HOWEVER...I stayed there this year and although the place was in the condition it always is (very good) I had an experience or two that changed my opinion of the place.

I ended up staying in three different hotels during my LA stay and on my last day at the Best Western Hollywood Hills I put my luggage at the door and asked if I could go sit at the pool while I waited for check in to open at my next destination. The guys at reception were very lovely - it was of course no problem.

Sat at the (nearly empty) pool minding my own business I got approached at speed by the man I gather is some sort of manager there (having seen him many times) and in a very sharp manner asked if I was a guest to which I replied yes I was. With no apology or acknowledgement he turned and walked away. I suppose I'm being over sensitive but he could have asked in a much nicer manner and not in front of others. Technically I wasn't still a guest but if that is the problem then he could have directly told me.

Red faced and a bit ashamed I couldn't really face sitting there regardless of who was at fault. I changed, got my bags and called a cab to the superb Roosevelt down the road which is far more luxurious and I was able to check in early and check out late at the pool with no problems.

May be overreacting but this soured my trip somewhat and IF I return to LA I will be going to the Roosevelt for sure, particularly as I was treated with utmost contempt at the 101 Coffee Shop too - on the same trip. I was here way back in April but am still a bit sad at the memory.

Thanks guys, New York next year I think.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
yorkshire
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Would reccomend this hotel if you are wanting to stay in the hollywood area. 10 mins walk to the walk of fame, and looking out onto the hollywood sign if you lucky enough to have the better rooms, which we did! Rooms 401 and 415.
Full of hollywood film memorabilia!
Connected to the 101 cafe for great breakfasts and meals.
Pool OK although cramped into an inner location, a bit like a prison.

Loenen aan de Vecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 13, 2013

we were here for 3 nights. central location close to supermarket and some restaurants. About 15 minutes drive from Universal Studio's. Nice and friendly staff. We had a very spacious room by the swimmingpool so we had seats outside our room! Never heard the noise from the pool, water in the pool was quite cold.
Hotel lays at about 10 minutes walk from Hollywood Boulevard/Walk of fame.
Valetparking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel for the last movie premiere I attended to support my favorite movie director. I figured this would be the best place to stay yet again. I was greeted quickly upon arrival but they were busy so it was understandable that being spoken to quickly was a need. However they were still very thorough & accurate & answered any questions of mine. I was offered help with my luggage but I declined. I was shown where to go to get to my room as I was staying in a different section than my last stay which was in May/June 2010. I was wowed by how big the room was & bathroom & the moderate musical memorabilia & a few movie pieces on display on the walls. It was all very tasteful & not overwhelming. I did inspect my bed thoroughly as I've heard of horror stories of bed bugs at any hotel. I couldn't find traces but there was a minor spot on my sheets that wasn't clean. I didn't panic because it could have been from me & I wasn't aware of it while looking so closely. Now the iHome for the iPod did not work but it could be because it's outdated as iPods have changed over the years with much newer models. It wasn't the end of the world. I swore I read the room would come with a DVD player but I could have been wrong. There was no DVD player so I was glad I had packed my portable one. The TV in the room was nicely mounted to the wall & facing the bed & small couch for perfect viewing. I loved how easy the night stand lights were to turn on by the simple tap to the base which is so much nicer than a knob switch. I didn't have enough toilet paper & when I went to ask for 2 I was only given one more which is silly for someone staying 3 nights & four days. There could have been more towels as well but I was okay with what I had. Any time I needed a cab they quickly called for one which is very helpful. However when I was told if I got stranded anywhere, unable to hail a cab & knew the address & I was told to call the hotel (even given a card with the hotel number on it) & they would call their cab service they use & send one to me. I was wrong. I got stranded in the early morning hours after the movie premiere & after party & I was spoken to rudely & as if I was an idiot. I was simply tired, hungry & thirsty. I was not some drunk moron. I was given a number to their cab service they used & I had to scramble to find pen & paper which I was very lucky to have on me. Before check out I did air my complaint & the man behind the desk apologized profusely. He wanted my stay to be a good one since it was my 2nd visit to the hotel in 3 years. I did use the pool this time as I did have time. The pool area was very clean but still for safety I wore sandals. I was just down there to get some sun & relax as I didn't have enough time to sit on the side & stick my legs in (nice dye job for my hair I didn't want to ruin if I went for a swim). The pool furniture was very clean. It was nice & quiet even when other adults got in the pool just to quietly swim or sit. The hotel cleaning staff was always around in the morning when I was up & heading over to Cafe 101. They always smiled while cleaning & were very polite. It is so helpful to have Cafe 101 next door. Yes the prices are a bit high but the staff is utterly amazing. The place at times would be packed but I'm a patient person not demanding. I was always greeted by everyone in the cafe who worked there even if they weren't wait staff. A glass of ice water was always in front of me & the moment it was low even during a busy rush, it was quickly filled without me having to ask. The servers were so patient & friendly because I have serious food allergies & digestive problems & they were able to recommend great foods to allow me to eat & enjoy. I loved how they were open late so after the premiere & after party I was able to come in, sit down, & even order breakfast food at night. I remember at one point in time I was trying to take a photo of myself & one of the staff took the camera from my hands with a smile on his face & took my picture for me & I was just grinning. He was being very helpful. Cafe 101 is definitely great to have beside the hotel because you don't have to call for a cab or if you rent a car you don't have to waste gas money. I ventured out for two meals & that was it & the rest of my time I ate at the cafe. Since they were so kind with me I always gave a very generous tip. They always ask if you need anything else & even if you take a long pause they wait & do what you request. Even in the early morning hours they are smiling although they themselves are not fully awake. Back to the hotel, I wished their beds were a bit more comfortable & maybe more blankets lying around or up in the closet for me to add to the bed. The AC didn't cool as quickly as I had hoped but it was most likely my fault as I generally don't fiddle with an AC unless it's my own at home. The view was not a bad one but I don't like that there are no screens on the windows (one big one in the bedroom & a small one up above the shower area. Shower area as there is no tub so be prepared. The bottom was not slippery but I always worry about that. They did have a very big bath mat for me to use in my bathroom which was nice to step onto vs a towel. There is like a little sitting spot in the huge shower & I placed all my items there while I showered. The hot water can go fast if you aren't paying attention & I honestly missed my removable shower head at home which allows me more control & settings but it wasn't bad. However if you want a bath, you will not have a relaxing tub to enjoy. I could have used a tub to relax in a few times). However it proved helpful in the end when I wanted to take some extra photos to remember my wonderful trip. I realized I had an adjoining room & no one bothered me on the other side. I do vaguely remember hearing children & adults either in the morning, afternoon if I was cat napping or just briefly at night. I really did not have a noise problem so I didn't use my ear plugs. It was certainly nice for me since where I reside at home I generally have to use ear plugs. At this hotel you are not far from the sites such as the Universal City Walk which includes the most awesome Hard Rock Cafe, Hollywood Blvd which I was just there for Hard Rock Cafe but I spotted parts of the Walk of Fame so I stopped to take photos, Griffith's Observatory is not far either which is a great place to get a nice view of LA/Hollywood as well as the Hollywood sign. I was on a tight budget but I wanted to see a few things aside from the Hard Rock Cafes & all of it was affordable. I was happy to know I wasn't too terribly far from Sunset Blvd where the DGA theater was where the premiere was held. My last premiere I went to was over at the Arc Light & it is not far from the hotel either. Speaking of theaters, the Grauman's Chinese Theater is just on the other side of the Hollywood Blvd Hard Rock Cafe but parts of the sidewalk were under heavy construction. However it's a site to see & was not that far from the hotel. I carried a lot of cash on me to make sure I'd be okay for paying for cab rides. One last comment on the hotel, ladies if you love to use the hairdryer after a shower, bring your own even if it is a pain to pack. They do have a built in hairdryer, maybe best suited for people with short hair not long hair. I was annoyed by the poor quality of the hairdryer which ended up slowing me down before the big movie premiere. Be prepared for slow internet. I used my iPod which is all I could take with me as I wasn't about to drag my laptop with me. Aside from it being extra weight for me, I don't like the new rules at the airports for transporting your laptop so I don't even bother. I did use the computer in the lobby a few times if I really needed to view something that was hard to view on my iPod but the service was slow. It certainly wasn't high speed. I know it would log me out of the system on my iPod without warning & it was a hassle to try & get back & remember the access code off the top of my head. One morning I was up & I had it for a bit & then it was gone & I was irritated. I have high speed cable internet at home so it was a rough go. Ah, although the iHome would not allow me to play my music with the iPod it did allow me to charge my iPod which came in handy when my wall charger decided to misbehave. The small kitchenette is nice to have but it wasn't for me for my trip. I didn't have any need to go out to a grocery store, get food & put it in the fridge & then later nuke it. It is very handy to have if you need it but keep in mind everything is small. I don't drink coffee but there is free coffee available in the room along with the coffee maker & anything you need to get the coffee going (no sugars or creams of course). I'm the person that always over packs & it ends up being a good thing in the end. I didn't use the laundry services on site but they do have them if needed but you'll most likely need change & a lot of it for drying time as I overheard the front desk man talking to another guest & the drying time isn't very long especially if you are drying a lot. It's why I bring enough clothes to change in & out of & put aside to be washed upon returning home. If my movie director friend does another red carpet whenever he does his next movie & he happens to do it in LA I think, although some snafus, I will stay here again as it's very convenient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

#21 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,069 reviews
West Hollywood
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Hollywood Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!