“LA trip”
Review of Hollywood Hotel

Ranked #53 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised when we drove up to this hotel. The pictures don't do this justice. The rooms were clean and large, and the staff was quite friendly. Everyone was accommodating. I requested a handicap accessible room, but that was taken, so they gave me a king room which was just as large. I was able to bring my scooter into the room with no problems. We were supplied with a fridge, microwave and a safe. The outside of the hotel was very pretty, especially in the back with the fountains, and they have a courtyard which was beautiful. I would book it again if I were going to LA again. They also had a buffet breakfast every morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lippycan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Not much at all to fault here, rooms are great, they are clean and gave great amentities such as fridge, microwave, coffee machine and free wifi. Bit noisy with sirens during the night, but no big deal. Surrounding area looks a bit grungy around hotel, but had no problems having said that. Great transport facilties with bus and train stations very nearby. I found location quite central. Great little eateries around as well. Waba Grill was yummy as well as a little 'open' Mexican restuarant near train station.....best, authentic Mexican I ate in the U.S.
Complimentary breakfast in the morning is a winner!!!! All staff I dealt with were lovely. Would stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TinaMcKn
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let's start with the positive things about the hotel:
It's a really pretty building and conveys some of the typical Hollywood flair. The breakfast is AMAZING, a lot of variety, and the staff in the breakfast room was very polite and nice, preparing delicious omelets and waffles. However, I usually do not book hotels for good breakfast, but for service and a great room to stay. Unfortunately, both is not to be found at the Hollywood Hotel.

The rest, quite frankly, makes this hotel not worth the money. Not at all.
The concierges at the front desk are not only unhelpful, they are rude, impolite and unapologetic. Words like "sorry" or "apologies" do simply not come to their mind!
Example 1) Having booked the trip through lastminute.com, I had prepaid the trip before online. Upon arrival, at 10pm, after a day of long journey, it took the concierge almost 15 minutes to realize that. He kept insisting I was wrong and I had not prepaid and asked to charge my credit card the fee for two whole nights plus the standard security fee of $100. When he finally discovered that he was wrong (or at least the system) he is using, there were no apologies about this let alone an understanding that this was an awkward and more than inconvenient situation for us.
Example 2) There is no heater in the room, ok. The weekend we stayed there, temperatures went down to the mid 40s in the nights, so the room with the pretty high ceilings and wooden floor got cold and rather uncomfortable. My girlfriend was freezing, so I asked for a heater. At the same time I had discovered that the fridge stopped working and my drinks started to get warm. It was 11pm, there was only one concierge at the front desk, and he said that he couldn't do anything now because no one was around. Apparently, they also don't carry spare blankets or bath robes. Apologies? You would guess, but not at all.
The fridge got eventually fixed the next days. No sign of a heater, but hey, it's California, who needs a heater, when the AC is running?

Is that really the standard for a (better) 3*** hotel?

Parking is also quite pricy (~19/night), but at least is on a safe lot right next to the hotel.

Besides, the sauna was not working, and guess what? No apologies about that once more. At least I was told I will be called when it works again. I am still waiting for that call today. The bus stop right in front of the room added to the already very loud traffic from Vermont Ave.

Will not go there again, and I highly recommend staying in another place in Hollywood.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OEmmensen
Gisel M, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2017

Dear Oemmesen...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you had while staying with us. We strive to provide each guest with the best possible customer service and I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. We will certainly share your comments with our team in an effort to continuously improve our performance.

Gisel Miller
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I am furious!!!!! I had to be at Children's Hospital LA on October 26th-28th. I made a reservation on September 7th by phone for the Hollywood hotel and received a confirmation by e-mail. When I arrived from San Diego after a grueling drive, I was told that my resesrvation had been cancelled due to an invalid credit card and that there were no rooms. It was a snafu. My cards are fine but when I asked the dispassionate clerk why i wasn't notified so that I could rectify the issue, he said that wasn't their policy, that if the card is invalid they just automatically cancel. I was panicked and furious. He handed me a list and said that I could try the Comfort Inn or the Travel Lodge. I went to the Travel Lodge which was awful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest...

Gisel Miller
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night,but I loved it! It is close to everything in Hollywood. It is within walking distance to restaurants and the Metro Red Line if you would like to explore the city. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I will be staying here again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarA2012
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel was situated in a really great spot. Metro red line was a short 5 min walk and buses were always close to catch.
Bathroom was large. always clean towels, shower was strong. Beds were big and comfortable. Breakfast was really good and lots of variety. Laundry mat was useful as well as iron, mini fridge, tv.

The only slight issue was the rooms at night was quite dark. There was no main light to light the room. there were lots of lamps but it wasn't enough. But wasn't a major issue as we were only in our room at night to sleep.

Overall I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast every morning!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rlmessina
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Had a couple of nights stay at the Hollywood Hotel. A pleasant atmosphere with friendly staff.
Down the road there are numerous nice places to eat and drink.

Very close to the Metro. Just a quick few stops to Universal Studios. Enjoyed some cheap Mexican food at the outside eateries near the metro. Delicious!
There is also a supermarket very close for anything you might need.

The rooms are clean and of a decent size. There is a nice courtyard to relax in and a gym and pool that were nice enough although I didn't get to use them.

As a travel agent, I will have no hesitation in recommending this property to my clients.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo