“GREAT PLACE STAY! Affordable and will be back again!”
Review of Hollywood Hotel

Hollywood Hotel
Ranked #44 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“GREAT PLACE STAY! Affordable and will be back again!”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Let me start from saying that this place is well worth the value and stay. I had booked a 2 bedroom with a friend of mine and we thoroughly enjoyed our 5 nights here. The breakfast here is a must, and comes free daily. The hotel was clean and I had no issues with anything here. It was secure with parking in the back. My friend and I are from vancouver, and we have decided to stay here again upon our next trip to LA. The location is perfect and you will not be stuck in traffic, as it is very central to all the sightseeing around hollywood. Going up the street of Vermont for a 5 min drive will take you to griffith observatory(must see in LA). It was not noisy at all, and the service here was superb. I could not have asked for anything better, and am glad to have stayed here. The management and the associates were a pleasure to talk to, and offered a personable experience. Don't hesitate to book this hotel! Its a great deal, the pictures do not do it justice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank m1ndsalad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We found the hotel convenient as we picked it to be close to the Kaiser hospital to be with a family member facing major surgery. Between visits we were able to visit LA by jumping on the Metro and head just about anywhere. The buffet breakfast at the hotel was an excellent start to the day, and the staff was friendly and helpful .
The room was comfortable and clean, except for not being a fan of feather pillows and plumbing noise . We enjoyed our stay and were able to walk or take the Metro anywhere we needed to go. The weather was too cool to try the pool but it looked very nice .
Yes we would stay there again !

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank FmOperator
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I came from Vancouver Canada and it was my first time in Los Angeles and after staying for 5 days it only made me want to come back for more. I would 100% stay again at Hollywood Hotel for the most important reason of all the location. How much close to the action can you possibly get. It is a block and a half walk, less than 5 minutes to the Red Line Metro station and that was my main mode of transportation the entire time I was there. I had ZERO problems with the location and found it to be safe either during the day or at night.
In addition, there is a Rite Aid open until 11 pm a 2 minute walk from the hotel where I was able to get anything I needed.
It was 4 stops to where the action was at Hollywood and Highland and perfect for all my tours I booked and just a couple more stops to Universal Studios which made my entire trip.

As for the cleanliness, I found it to be spotless. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in Mexico that weren't as clean. The maids were always smiling, never failed to say good morning and as for the so-called rude front desk staff???? I never encountered any of that. Anyone I dealt with was more than welcoming and helpful.

I never found any issues with the air-conditioning; there was a switch that I could control at all times and it was ideal for the hot, hot weather I encountered.

As for my room, I found it to be perfect, especially the bathroom. Loved the shower that you could walk right into, the abundance of clean towels and again very well maintained.

I had requested a safe and I had a room with one so I was quite happy with that.

As for the free breakfast; again what is up with the complaints people????
I had toasted bagels with cream cheese and orange juice along with fruit each morning followed by yogurt and I was more than happy with that. In addition, there was a fresh omelette station if I so desired with pretty much any sort of filling I could dream of.

I must comment on the mgr Jeff's assistance in making sure I was happy with the room and made sure I was promptly taken care of weeks in advance. Excellent customer service that again you don't get in the big so called "name brand hotels."

All the amenities, great staff, wonderful room all adds up to a return trip for me and like I mentioned I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I was more than pleased!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the walk-in shower room!! It's great. Also ask for room safe.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank cujoetta
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Not very clean. Good value for LA I suppose but would spend more money next time. Well-located for studio tour - not far from Burbank. Really noisy room - stayed two nights and first night nobody slept! No heat in room - had to cart out an oil-heater from the closet and plug it in (hard to find a plug) and leave it on all night. Very awkward. Poorly-designed/appointed room with mini fridge with microwave on top of it just plugged in and left almost in middle of a blank wall. Horrible to look at - mould in bathroom, dirty carpet. Photo of hotel misleading - not front door but entrance from parking lot!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SarahYYZ
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I'm very easy to please, but I'm going to be honest and fair with this review. It's lengthy, but will tell you everything you need to know if you are considering staying here.

We stayed for four nights at the Hollywood Hotel. Upon checking in, I was told there would be a $100 authorization on my credit card and that I would be paying for the room once we checked out. Not only did they authorize that fee, they also authorized the full booked stay and the parking, which was 20 bucks a night.

To be honest, I prefer to be charged in the beginning of the stay so I don't have to worry about it later, but I also prefer to be told this. Communication was not the best in this situation.

The second and third day, we had no hot water and the elevators were not working. This was due to the generator breaking down. We had to take a warm bath using an ice bucket full of microwaved water. Understandable, because things happen. However, we also came back to our room to find an entire shopping bag full of food gone. I would have given the cleaning staff the benefit of the doubt on this one thinking that it could have been trash, except the bag weighed a good ten pounds or so.

So, at this point, we had no hot water, had to walk the stairs everytime we went outside, stolen food, and bad communication at the front desk. Then, I log onto my bank account to see an unauthorized hold on my account from the hotel. They couldn't exactly tell me what it was for. Ahh.

So, with everything going on, we asked what the hotel was going to do to compensate us for the inconveniences that were adding up. They offered to take parking off for one night. We eventually got them to take it off for the entire stay, so that was nice. Though, it only ended up being for our first three nights instead of the agreed full stay.

On Sunday, the breakers in our room kept blowing and maintenance had to come three times to try and fix them. We only had one working plug that night which we used for the space heater. That meant none of us could charge our phones. We couldn't make coffee or use the microwave. Also, the parking gate was broken, so our cars were not that secure.

For us, this wasn't the worst stay ever, but it was the worst one we have paid $140 bucks for, hands down. Our last night we went two blocks up to the Travelodge. It's not as pretty on the outside, but everything worked and everyone was nice and friendly.

I do want to be fair and give this hotel props for what they do right. The beds are extremely comfy and have thick, down comforters on them. Best bed I've ever slept on in a hotel. The breakfast is awesome and there is a wide variety of foods to pick from. Waffles and omelets are made in the spot!

The location isn't as good as it could be for the same price as something closer to the attractions but it certainly is NOT the ghetto. At all, not even close. I never felt in danger during my stay here.

In conclusion, will I stay here again? No, not likely. Had we been compensated more, perhaps. But we weren't and nothing worked. We were on vacation and had to deal with everything being broken when all we wanted to do was enjoy ourselves.

I will say that I don't think my stay was a good representation of the hotel because these things do happen sometimes. However, the way in which the staff handled our inconvenience was not appropriate nor helpful. It's a nice hotel and would've loved to come back but there are other hotels out there just as good that are cheaper and friendlier. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Whirrledpeas
Cairns
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My brother and i stayed here for 6 nights and found it to be the best accomodation we stayed at throughout our whole trip in the USA.

Yes the customer service could be a lot better - the staff come across as very dry - but if you can ignore that - your stay there will be awesome.

The location is a huge PLUS for those who do not wish to drive or rent a car. The train/metro station is a short 5 min walk and we had no troubles catching it what-so-ever. It was USD1 each way or USD7 for a whole day pass.

POSITIVES:
Comfy rooms
Fridge
Free wi-fi
Continental breakfast was good :) Kept us going all day.
Laundry facilities

NEGATIVES:
No safe in the room. Used the safe at reception to store valuables.
Staff can be a bit "cold" but seriously - don't let it get to you.
No coin machine in laundry so you have to find quarters.

Room Tip: We stayed somewhere in the middle on the 3rd floor and had no problems at all.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CairnsMichelle_Y
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Initially I was going to give this hotel a good rating, but due to the horrible service...2Stars. It was THAT bad I did it. Rude beyond belief. I never get mad, but they treat you so rudely and horribly that one can't help but need to stand outside and take a breather. And how often do you need to talk to the service?

More than you'd think.

Breakfast? Just skip it because those women cooking are so above you and you could only be so lucky to eat here. They think everyone there is a bum and was off the top rude to me that I didn't even eat breakfast, instead I went upstairs to complain, where I ran into another rude rude rude woman.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! ahhhhhhhh!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, much better.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business