“A Great Experience, fantastic Value.”
Review of Dunes Inn - Sunset

Dunes Inn - Sunset
Ranked #101 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Cornwall
“A Great Experience, fantastic Value.”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for 4 nights nearing the end of out month travelling across America, and I honestly cannot fault this motel. Fantastic value for money, the room was clean, the staff was helpful and no task was too much. They helped up arrange our shuttle to the airports and as it was out first time in LA and the guy at the front desk recommended us with the best places to go and how to get around, they really made our stay the best it could be.
Seven eleven is right next door and Starbucks is just down the road.
It's in a great location although I didn't feel totally safe walking around in the night, it wasn't just the area of the hotel I felt that it was everywhere in LA - a lot of homeless people about. I would still 100% stay again on my next visit.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank DrecklyMaid
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our establishment. We pride ourselves with our friendly and helpful staff and clean rooms and I appreciate you pointing those features out.

There are a lot homeless in LA but, generally, they are not a problem and we don't have any complaints from our guests about harassment.

I am pleased you would stay here again, if you visit LA in the future and we look forward to seeing you if you do.

Peter R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at hte Dunes on Sunset this past weekend. The room with tax was $200 per nite. Guess that is what you would pay for an inexpensive hotel in Hollywood. The room was very old looking--no modern upgrades. There was a flat screen TV, 2 double beds, a decent bathroom and a small frig. There was no pool, clock radio and the air conditioner was troublesome. If you had the air on it was too cold. Without the air it was too hot. It was a wall unit not central air.

If you are not looking to stay at a place that is upgraded and a little nicer, this place is okay if you are using it as a home base to sleep and shower.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sending a review of our establishment and I'm sorry you were a little disappointed in the room. We have recently completer some remodeling but it is still a work in progress. We will, in the not too distant future, replace the A/c units and flat screen TVs will be put in all the rooms.

Again, I am sorry you weren't entirely happy with your stay at the Dunes but, fortunately, we get very few negative comments.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I could not have done better than this, staying at Dunes was a highlight in my trip to USA. The staff have impeccable manners and were the most helpful I've ever come across anywhere without being too obsequious. No task was too much or too hard for them. It was like staying with friends. I was impressed with the level of cleanliness and the services offered for my stay. I have paid more and gotten less so often now that Dunes Inn was a complete surprise. Definitely a diamond in the rough. I recommend them highly to all my friends and travel agent but most of all I thank the staff for the fond memories I have of LA.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank GuadagnuoloLina
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so much for your excellent review. I can honestly say that is one of the best reviews I have seen in a long time. I showed it to our staff who greatly appreciated your kind words

Thank you again, and I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to LA.

Baltimore
Reviewed June 25, 2014

First understand that this is a motel for around $115/night in Hollywood. With that understanding, one does not expect the Four Seasons. What you do get here is a decent sized, very clean room, with a refrigerator, good air conditioning, and extremely helpful staff. The wi-fi is also free but can sometimes can be a bit slow. The televisions are not flat screen, but that did not bother me. The person at the desk said that replacing them is in their plans. The parking lot is right at your door and is fairly large. We never had trouble finding a space. The hotel is very convenient to Hollywood Blvd, Thai town, and Melrose Ave. it is also a short walk to the Metro. Because.both Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd are very long streets you won't be able to walk to everything in the area. We attended a show at the Pantages Theater, which was walkable. By the way if you can get a chance, take a look inside at the Pantages, it is a very cool old building.
The people at the front desk were exceptionally helpful. They did say that hey are working on doing some updates.The restaurant "Dreams" was good with quick service, but there were also several restaurants nearby. There is a Seven Eleven just about next door.
The area seemed fairly safe. There were a lot of people around. It looked like a lot of Los Angeles. The views are non-existent. There is a Home Depot across the street, but if you are in LA for a visit you probably aren't hanging out at the hotel anyway.
As far as noise goes, it was not particularly noisy, I could not hear the other rooms. There may be some street noise as Sunset Blvd is very busy, but it did not bother me.
We also, took the Dearly Departed Tour of Hollywood, which I would recommend, but not for young children. We walked from the motel to their business, which was a little over a mile.
I would not hesitate to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CindyBaltimore
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
What a great review of our establishment. Thank you so much. Our staff are always helpful and I thank you for mentioning it.

Our improvements are a work in progress and, yes, we will be installing flat screen tv's in the not too distant future.

Thank you again, for your kind words and we hope to see you on your next visit to Hollywood.

Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Had to make a trip to Los Angeles and our usual spots were booked (Father's Day?), so we searched online and settled on the Dunes on Sunset, mainly because of location and comparative price. Any hotel in the general area of downtown/Westside is going to be overpriced--that's a given in LA. Add on anywhere from $75 to $300 for the privilege of location.

We stayed for one night. I would call this motel Clean. Safe. Functional.

Parking and wifi are free. It's a block off of 101, close to "Little Armenia" and "Thai Town." 10-15 minutes (depending on traffic) to the downtown. The guy at the front desk could not have been nicer. Our room was clean.

It's just that I spent $181.00 for this room. There's no pool. The "towels" are threadbare at best. The sink is jammed into the tiniest space I've ever seen in a motel room. You literally have to scrunch up your shoulders to fit in there to brush your teeth. No iron/ironing board. No lamps (all the light is up in the ceiling--odd). The A/C comes from an outdoor unit that is placed inside up on a closet shelf. That television set is older than I am, I swear. No flat screens? One pillow each....that's all you get!

If I needed to, I would go back here, but reluctantly. It's nothing special--just safe, clean, and functional. And way, way, way overpriced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Establishment from which I was pleased to note that you the room clean, the staff friendly and the location of the hotel convenient for your needs.

Now, if I may, let me address the specific points you made in your 4th paragraph.

As you clearly saw, space is rather limited and, because of the, you felt the room was inadequate.
Irons and ironing boards and extra pillows are available at the front desk - by the way - there are two pillows on every bed, not one. I do realize that two are not sufficient for everybody but, as I say, you can always request extra.

You probably noticed that our rooms were, not too long ago, remodeled. It is a work in progress and, in the near future, flat screen TVs will be installed and mounted on the wall. Provision was made for that at the time of remodeling. Also, a conscious decision was made to do away with the bed side lamps in favor of overhead lighting and most of our guests find that preferable.

I noticed the price you were charged which, I agree is rather high. You obviously made your reservation on line through a Travel Company and their commission is included in that amount. The hotel does not charge that much although prices are a bit higher June - September. It is often cheaper to book directly with the hotel cutting out the middle man.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

very nice motel at the end of sunset blvd. near Hollywood. which has a lot of parking space.
old fashioned but very comfortable bed and bathroom. friendly and helpful staff - bought for us discount tickets to the Universal Studios and advice us how to get there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Tsvi S
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for your kind review of our establishment. I appreciate that you took the time to write. We take pride in the fact that we have very helpful staff. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will stay with us again when next you visit L.A.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived and opened the door to our room, we saw stains on the walls and carpets. Followed by the extremely old TV that wouldn't work, and the lamps that wouldn't turn on. The closet, was missing the door. It looked as if someone had yanked it out. We left the room to look for some other vacant ones. As we left, the front office clerk wanted to charge us $50 for slightly using it for hardly 10 mins! Unfortunately, we weren't able to find any. It was 11pm so we had no choice but to comeback to this one. There was a different front desk clerk this time, and he told us that the last clerk was not supposed to charge us any fees. So he gave us a room for $100. Pretty rude how he was taking money from us. This is the worst hotel I've ever been to. I'd rate it .5 out of 5 stars. Never coming back here again!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank NicoleGarces
I am the Front Office Manager for the Dunes Inn, Sunset in Hollywood, yet I received your rather scathing review of the Dunes Inn on Wilshire Blvd Anybody reading this review will, however, assume that you are describing the Hollywood property. We have recently been completely remodeled and 95% of reviews are excellent with 4 and 5 stars.

While I deeply regret the disappointing experience you had at Wilshire, because I am not employed there, I really can't comment on the details you describe, except to say that improvements to the property are a work in progress. New bathrooms have been installed in all the rooms and the swimming pool has just been remodeled. Other major improvements will follow soon, including news carpets and flat screen TVs.

Our Sunset property has recently been completely remodeled and 95% of reviews are excellent with 4 and 5 stars.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels