“Very Clean and Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dunes Inn - Sunset

Dunes Inn - Sunset
Ranked #99 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Very Clean and Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Mar 20th for two nights and was extremely happy with the nice clean rooms and friendly staff. They also have a great restaurant located at the hotel called Dreams, in which the food is very good as well as the service. If you are going to stay in Hollywood for a vacation for business or visit family like I did this is a great place to stay. Very centrally located in Hollywood. The only thing that's somewhat bothered me was there was homeless people not on the property but next door and on the street but anywhere in Hollywood you're going to find that. Again, overall I was happy with my stay and will stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jean1005
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your very good review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves that we have a very friendly staff that give excellent service both at the front desk and in the restaurant

I note your comments about the homeless in the area. As you said, they are not on the premises but they do walk past the entrance on Sunset Blvd. Fortunately we don't have much of a problem with them bothering our guests.

Thank you, again for your kind review and we look forward to your return.

Peter R,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
West Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

I recently stayed at the Dunes Inn-Sunset (March 15, 2014) and upon arrival it wasn't bad. The guy in the lobby was friendly and the rooms were clean. The rooms were on the small side, but they were a good size for the price. I booked this room due to reviews I saw on Trip Advisor and it looked like a good value. After arriving back at our room on Sunday night, there were police and firemen in the room right below our room which was room 218. I spoke with the nice man in the lobby to find out what was going on only to find out the man below us died from a heroin overdose in room 118. We quickly packed our bags as it was uncomfortable staying in a room directly above where a man had just died from a drug addiction. Upon checking out, the man in the lobby was nice and said that this doesn't usually happen and that we should contact Noah or Queenie to obtain a refund due to checking out early and the events that took place. Judging by the reviews this would be no problem.

After calling to speak with Noah or Queenie, I cannot say enough about how poorly they treat their customers. They showed no sympathy about what happened and did not process a refund as "it's hotel policy". I completely understand that there is a policy in place, but due to the events of a man dying right below us they could have processed a refund. Any person who knows how to run a business knows that word of mouth is powerful and that a refund should be made for the horrible experience. I know I didn't want to see the coroner show up and haul a body out in a body bag and neither did my travel companions. The man on the phone proceeded to tell me that "we don't want customers like you anyway" and hung up. Needless to say, it was quite the experience dealing with them and I would highly suggest finding a different place to stay.

Room Tip: Go a half a mile to the west a choose a different hotel in a better area
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brandon W
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
First of all, may I say that I was pleased that you thought our front office staff was friendly and our rooms clean and good value for the price you paid.

The unfortunate incident which occurred on the Sunday evening when somebody died in the room below yours was, understandably, disturbing to you and your party and the ensuing commotion when the police, ambulance and coroner arrived did not, I am sure, help matters.

Now, let me address the matter of a refund. Your reservation was from Saturday, 15th March for 3 nights, departing on Tuesday. It was a non-refundable reservation which means that, in exchange for a lower rate, should you cut short your stay for any reason whatsoever, you would not get your money back. Because of what happened, however, we decided not to charge you for the 3rd night but, as you didn't leave the hotel until 11pm on the Sunday (and the hotel was sold out) we could not refund the second night as well.

We have been in business since 1973 and this was the FIRST time anyone has passed away in one of our rooms from ANY cause. I am sure you will agree that we have absolutely no control over what a guest does in the privacy of his room.

I understand that you were upset following a conversation with hotel management and you vowed to "ruin the hotel" by posting a bad review on the various review web sites and I see that you have done just that. I do think that your comments on line were grossly inaccurate, unfair, totally exaggerated and, I must say, rather vindictive

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in March with a child. At check in the gentleman was VERY helpful and friendly, offering us a quiet corner room on the second floor to accommodate travelling with a child. He provided maps, tour leaflets and info on Hollywood without me having to ask.
The room was clean. No problems with bedding or sheets. The room was well lit with pot-lights. The room had a good sized fridge. We also had a wardrobe area with hangars, and plenty of space for our 3 rollerboards bags. The bathroom looked brand new, maybe recently renovated? It was very nice, and the towels were also clean (and fluffier than expected).
During my stay, I had to use the computer in the check in area to print some paperwork and again the staff were helpful and accommodating.
My only complaint about this hotel is the Wi-Fi. We had a terrible time trying to maintain a connection, which was disappointing.
It is great value for money though. Clean (most importantly), accommodating and a great location for exploring Hollywood and the surrounding area by car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank randomhotelinspector
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I was pleased you had an enjoyable experience staying with us. We pride ourselves that ALL our front desk staff are very helpful to our guests.

You were right in your observation about the bathroom - all our rooms were completely renovated just over a year ago.

I am sorry you had a disappointing experience with the wi-fi. It does tend to be a little slow when there are a lot of people using it at once but we are hoping to upgrade the service in the not too distant future which should improve the situation.

Peter R.
Front Office Manager
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Dunes Inn Sunset for 4 nights (March 4-7, 2014). Room 225. The location was so convenient (just a 20 min walk to the Chinese Theater and Hollywood Walk of Fame Area). The room was clean, the bed was really comfortable and the gentleman at the front desk the night we arrived was very helpful and provided us with an area map and some other brochures. It was right beside a 7-11 where we picked up our coffee every morning. The room didn't have an iron/ironing board so we had to settle for hanging our clothes up in the bathroom and letting the steam do its magic, which actually worked out okay. But I'm sure if we called down to the front desk, they could have provided us with an iron/ironing board.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter R, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your very kind review of our establishment in Hollywood. We appreciate the fact that you were pleased with our service and look forward to seeing you here in the future.

Peter R.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a really good place to stay. It is clean, staff is friendly and help with anything you need (including booking tours), close to Hollywood blv and to supermarkets, value for money etc. Overall a wonderful experience and will be going back soon.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
dunesinn, Manager at Dunes Inn - Sunset, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your review and very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our goal is to definitely help all those who visit so it's like their second home! Looking forward to seeing you again.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice staff, especially the kind man with glasses at the reception in the afternoon. I got the room 116 (ground floor) which had two double beds. Room was clean. Bathroom was nice even though a little small. Built in robes would have been nice as there was no room for my back-pack and perhaps a few other pieces of luggage to be stowed-away. TV, Chest of Drawers, Fridge and Air-Conditioning was a nice touch for such a small room. Perfect location. Highly recommended. Great value for your money and close to all the landmarks and Train stations. Oh and free internet being the icing on the cake as that made all the difference when I could just book all my flights, super-shuttle trips, banking, e-mails, and all other stuff done through the comfort of my room for FREE. They are nice enough to provide a free printer service at the reception too. I think the best part was that the reception staff and even the security guards at night were very polite, helpful and always accommodating any requests - that simply beats anything, seriously! Highly recommended. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

As long as you understand that this is a motel you will find Dunes very good. Clean, good location (esp you are planning to drive to LA from SF, you don't even have to experience the traffic in LA).

Funny that the rooms seem to be recently done up, but they keep the motel style bed covers. Wouldn't just white sheets make the room a bit more classy?

Not for romantic gateway of course but this is ok for a night or two.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family