“better than expected”
Review of Dunes Inn - Sunset

Dunes Inn - Sunset
Ranked #97 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and the cafe was better than it first looked. Beds were cmfortable and shower great. However, a woman knocked on a door telling us to be quite at 7am, so it would appear the walls are thin as we were not talking loudly! But we never woke up and considering we had jet lag had a good nights sleep here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank laura n

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Spent my first night in the USA here. Have given the place 4 out of 5 as a motel (which it is). I have reviewed some of the previous bad reviews and they all seem to view it as a hotel. This is patently unfair.
The man at reception at the time of my arrival was British, and could not have been more helpful. The Restaurant onsite served good honest food at the right price, and the service was excellent.
Being right on Sunset Boulevard there was a bit of noise, but this was not helped by a Police emergency a few blocks up. Being jetlagged I ended up sleeping like a baby anyway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs and at the back.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I had to spend a night in LA and hadn't planned to do so. I didn't have a reservation and after several calls, couldn't find a room or didn't want to pay the rates for the rooms that were available. We went to our favorite budget hotel in the area and it was booked. As we drove down Sunset Blvd, this motel was well lit and we pulled in. (Where are all the Vacancy/No Vacancy Signs of yesteryear?). Fortunately, they had a double available.

We were 2 women travelling together. It was about 9pm. The motel wraps around the parking lot so you feel safer walking to your car and again it is very well lit. If you get there early enough you could probably park in front of your room. I heard several sirens but was exhausted and didn't hear anything the rest of the night. However, it is on a main Blvd and is a large motel so it does have the potential to be loud. My room was on the 2nd floor so I didn't have to contend with someone being loud above my room.

As far as cleanliness, my room was very clean and comes with a refrigerator. There is a Starbucks, Subway Sandwich, 7-11 and laundromat next door.

I have stayed in this neighborhood several times before. As a woman I would not go out and return late at night in this area. However, every time I've booked a room in this area, I have gotten up early and grabbed a coffee and walked to Griffith Park and surrounding neighborhoods to explore. So daytime feels okay...night maybe not..

I don't know if I would bring a family here. There is no pool for kids to swim after a day of touristing and really no play area. So that means the kids would have to stay in the room. And again even though it feels okay to walk in the day, the neighborhood is a bit sketchy so I probably would choose another motel if I were travelling with kids.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank labonvoyer
Reviewed August 7, 2012

So yes, we all know Hollywood, but we didn't know it to be like this!!

We found this place through trip advisor/expedia and i guess in a way it was worth what we paid. the pictures of the Dunes Inn however, were nothing like the real place. It is definitely not all bright and chirpy like the picture, quite opposite in fact. It looks like one of those motels you see in a movie where bad things happen! As girls travelling, we were first afraif for our safety but thought we'd man up and get over it.

Our location was good, close to the Chinese theatre, Hollywood walk of fame etc, however getting there by foot was a bit of a downside, especially for girls. The Dunes Inn sunset was located where most "bums" and "unique" people liked to hang out. There are many convinient stores, laundromats, pharmacies around which we found very helpful, and most were open 24hrs as well. Our first night was a little scary as all we heard all night was sirens and loud cars, but i guess thats hollywood!!

On arrival we found that the man at the front desk wasn't a happy chap and figured everyone else would be the same, but by the second day when we wanted to do Universal Studios the guys at the front desk were very helpful and kind. So it made us feel a little bit better about the place.

All up, though it wasn't what we expected we still got to see and enjoy the real Hollywood. I would recommend this place for backpackers, youth who can rough it out a little but defintely not for families! Go a little up sunset blvd towards Beverly hills!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shenka26
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Perfect location, nice and comfortable rooms, wi-fi, absolutely recommend this place during your LA stay and exploring Hollywood! Staff was very friendly and if you wanted to go out, everything was in a walking distance. Safe neighbourhood as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dydzia
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Thank god I arrived here before dark!!!!

There is a (very large grumpy) man who works at the front desk who clearly hates his job! Didnt lift his head to greet us upon arrival! When I asked him why I was signing for a blank credit card authorisation he pointed to one of MANY signs, ok so that was fine ... The reason I asked was because any place I've been to in the century did a pre auth on an electronic card machine!!! We were handed the 'precious' TV remote and room key! Nothing else was grunted at us!!! When I tried to ask for general directions to the 'walk of fame' he grunted back to tell me my room number again!!!

As it was a low budget hotel we were not expecting much. The bathroom sink area has been newly renovated and is clean! I had just read on trip advisor when I arrived someone was attacked by bed bugs so didn't sleep a wink!!!

I would suggest asking for a room on top level as it sounds like a heard of baby elephants is living upstairs!!!

There is an airconditioning unit in the room, let's just say I've been to quieter raves so you will spend the night sticky in summer unless your deaf!!

The area is ROUGH!!!! No other way to describe it! We made sure to be back each night before dark!!! I slept with our chair bolted up against the door!!

If you are lucky enough to be greeted by the other men who work in reception they are by far more helpful than the aforementioned!! If we had met these 2 gentlemen upon arrival we would have saved ourselves from needless wandering around the ghetto trying to figure out were to go!!!! On our last evening I asked about getting to universal studios and we were presented with an extremely helpful map and metro guide which is only a short walk through the ghetto if you know where you are going! Easy when someone takes the time to show you!

My tip... Don't carry valuables around in this area!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel has an incredible and excellent service, very clean, good location, the reception staff are very friendly and helpful.

Most importantly the customer pays the exact amount without any alteration or additionlas surprises charges in the C.C. with the amount they want.

The honesty of the staff is super good .... I highly recommend this nice hotel.
Unfortunately I have no photos, but I have a short video of the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo