“Home away from home”

Staybridge Suites Chatsworth
Ranked #123 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is fantastic. The staff was very accommodating, and the service was excellent. It was my home away from home for nearly 2 months. I met a lot of great people during my stay and would without a doubt stay there again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer E, Manager at Staybridge Suites Chatsworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hi TJBoston,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area! Thanks again!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location was great for visiting Universal Studios and Magic Mountain. Nice place for a couple with kids, big rooms and great included breakfast. Also a manager's reception 3 nights a week. The staff is pleasant and helpful.

I only had a few complaints, not enough parking for the property. We were coming back from parks sometimes later in the evening and had a hard time finding parking. Sometimes only finding one spot available. Cleaning is set up unlike any hotel I've ever visited. During the week it's called "light cleaning" on the weekends I guess there is no cleaning, which was weird to me. We asked for extra towels every day as there were 4 of us in the room and only 3 towels. As previous reviews have stated the beds aren't the most comfortable. Also there is a nice kitchen but no stove, which was very bizarre. We didn't notice that and brought pizzas back to the room to cook for dinner which we weren't able to do so had to order pizza and leave the pizzas we purchased in the fridge, sadly a waste of money.

But the area was nice with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby and friendly, courteous staff. I'd definitely recommend it for families. Check out Stone Fire for dinner - wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TrishaTim
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks in March and it was excellent.
The staff was very helpful and room was clean and tidy.
The breakfast is decent and there is a free shuttle to nearby malls for my wife when I am on business.
There is guest nights during Tuesday-Thursday evening and I like the serenity in the evenings.
Definitely will come back here again on my next trip to LA.
Special mention to the front desk staff, Ria for her hospitality and making my wife and I felt at home.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer E, Manager at Staybridge Suites Chatsworth, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hi Mskyline, Thank you very much for your review and your nice comments about our staff! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel amenities. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back next time you are in the area!

Thank you again.

Jennifer E - Operations Manager

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked Staybridge suites accidentally through Priceline through the "Express Deal". I thought that by booking through a deal I was going to get to choose my hotel, little did I know the feature worked just like the blind bidding and my card was charged for 2 nights at the Staybridge Suites. I had never heard of them and they were a little farther away than we wanted to be. We got a decent rate.

We checked in about 10pm tired from a day of travel and found the place to be much nicer than we thought. The area is questionable and we were glad the parking lot was lit well and we could see our vehicle from our room. They had nice black out curtains that made the room very dark for sleeping.

The room was gorgeous, very nicely appointed with furnishings and a very good kitchenette. We didn't need all this space but it was nice. Our schedule was booked so this was just a place for a good night's rest for 2 nights. There were plenty of pillows and space, it really is a lovely hotel.

Sadly, the comfort level of the mattress was so poor that my sleep was terrible. My shoulders hurt from how hard the mattress was. At one point I contemplated just going out to lay on the couch but I knew that would not offer comfort either. I tossed from one side to the other all night long and woke feeling exhausted and sore. Honestly, it was so bad that we decided to take all of our belongings with us for the day thinking we might look for another hotel. We did end up making other arrangements. What a waste, we booked through Priceline so there was no canceling one night of the stay.

It's sad to say... this place has so much going for it but if you can't sleep then what's the point. Really, they offer a really nice kitchen, modern and updated, nice bathroom, walk in closet, nice sitting area, black out curtains, really everything to make this a great place for an extended trip to the area.... but, if you can't sleep there then I'm not sure the point of spending all that $ on making everything else beautiful. Put some $ into the mattresses.

I was very very disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer E, Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Chatsworth, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Hi jillyaz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not comfortable. When we completed our renovation last year we installed brand new furnishings in all rooms including new mattresses. We even have people asking where they can buy them! However, we certainly understand that everyone has different preferences when it comes to the firmness of the mattresses and again we are truly sorry that you were not comfortable. It is only with our guests feedback, both positive and negative, that we can work to improve our services. We also appreciate your kind comments about the style and layout of the rooms. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Jennifer - Office Manager

Reviewed January 31, 2014

# cx154014361

I have been a regular customer once a month for Four years. Accidentally forgot my credit card 150 miles away at home and they refused my reservation even though I offered a $2000 cash deposit and they acknowledged me as a regular guest who's NEVER left a damaged room. Customer Service policy needs changing and I'll NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Debbie D
Jennifer E, Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Chatsworth, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Debbie D,

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns. It is correct that hotel policy requires a valid credit card in the registered guest’s name. Additionally we do also require a valid government issued ID at the time of check-in. I understand in this situation these requirements were not able to be met and I certainly do apologize that we were not able to accommodate you in this case. Please know that we do have the security of our guests and hotel in mind when abiding by these policies. With that said, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us, as these comments help us to continually review our services and make any appropriate changes when needed. Thank you again.

Jennifer
Office Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had to stay in this area for one night for kid's sporting event, booked this hotel last minute through hotwire and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel rooms are spacious and clean with full kitchen and refrigerator. The staffs were friendly. The free breakfast was pretty good with hot selections. Very pleased with the hotel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank xpp888
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Earlier this year, I booked a room for my family. Because it was a special-needs situation, I was pretty thorough in my research. After ascertaining online that this hotel would likely fit the bill, I drove there, asked for a Manager and was allowed to examine one of the handicap suites in detail. Then, I booked online. Between the time of booking and the date of the reservation, I phoned the hotel no less than three times. On each occasion my request for a 2 bedroom handicap accessible room with roll-in shower was reaffirmed.

This lovely hotel is a cluster of suites, set back from two busy streets in the northwest corner of the San Fernando Valley near the Chatsworth boulders. Unless you know exactly where to look, it's pretty easy to drive right past, which is what I did my first time. The accessible suite I reserved was well-thought out, spotlessly clean, nicely equipped and attractively decorated. Each bedroom contained a queen bed (one of which was on a platform and not suitable to accommodate our patient lift, which rolls partially under the bed), a TV, a private bath and ample closet and drawer space. There was a small workspace in the living room, a dining area, an additional TV and a sleeper sofa. The full kitchen was beautifully equipped with basic appliances and implements, the fridge ample in size to accommodate several days worth of supplies.

Parking was OK, though handicap specific parking was somewhat limited and we ended up parking a distance from the room. I believe there were both a pool and a gym. Although I'd understood that daily breakfast was included (which my mom reported was wonderful), I hadn't counted on a further perk-- that being an evening social which happened to be most of the nights my family was staying, and each social included a hot entree at dinnertime. My family was very pleased with this feature as it meant they didn't have to cook or go to a restaurant.

All in all, it ended up a great stay for them-- it was getting there which was a bit rocky. Check in was not a fun experience.

My first mistake was not questioning the room number given. That very morning on the phone, Jennifer had told me that the room had been assigned and that it was at the front of the property, close to the office-- so perhaps I would've saved a great deal of time, movement and aggravation had I simply said, "Are you sure you've given me the right room?" at the onset. But because I said nothing, back we all went to the van, reloading the wheelchair since the room we were given was at the rear of the property. Amazingly, there wasn't a single handicap space that I could see in the vicinity, but even more surprising than that was the complete lack of ramps or really any sign suggesting that the room was accessible (on my tour of the facilities before booking, I'd noticed how clearly marked all handicap facilities had been.) But it got worse. There was a message hanging on the door of our assigned room informing that it still wasn't made up. Excuse me? It was after five pm. Miffed, I drove back to the office. My passengers elected to stay in the van this time, never mind that it had been over 100 degrees earlier that day. The young woman at the desk checked her computer, then informed me that the room assignment she'd given me had been correct. When I pointed out the lack of handicap signage, she tried to tell me that there was no mention of handicap needs in the reservation. At this point, I came perilously close to coming unglued. I was hot, I was tired. And now, I was Very Upset. I'd done my homework, planning this for many weeks, had spoken to no less to three people regarding the reservation (I had names) and now she was trying to tell there was no mention of handicap needs in my reservation? "No, no, no, no...." I remember saying. "Do not even TRY to use that excuse--" About this time another agent wisely intervened seeking to avert a major catastrophe. I can only guess at what they were looking at on the computer, but I thank God that a few moments later, Jennifer walked by and said something like "Are you the 2-room handicap with the roll-in shower I spoke to earlier today?" And just like that, my room appeared. The initial agent was apologetic over dropping a digit in our room number-- and the room, by the way, ended up being right by the front of the property, just as Jennifer had told me it would be.

All's well that ends well and my family had a pleasant stay Would this entire incident deter me from booking there again? No. Would I deter others from staying what is otherwise a well-run, comfortable establishment? Also no. It is less about the desk agent having made a mistake than it is about the way in which she handled said mistake. Lesson learned? I hope so. Everyone else at this hotel rated a four or a five on customer service; so I'm sorry to let a single individual drag down my rating on service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family