“Think Twice”

Century Wilshire
Ranked #293 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Think Twice”
Reviewed June 18, 2006

There is something wrong with this hotel. There is a scary, unsafe, dark vibe that comes from within the rooms and hallways. I seriously felt unsafe in this hotel even though I was with my entire family. Someone tried to enter our room at 3:00 in the morning and eery creeking doors were heard in the hallway but without voices and footsteps. Thinking about it still, I get shivers down my back. If you like a good scare...stay here. If not- stay some where, any where else!!! and I believe the management is responsible for all the theft.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We've just returned from a trip to L.A. and two nights at this hotel . We were scheduled to stay five nights but started making arrangements for other accomodations soon after check in ( we were told there were no other rooms ) .
Our carpet had multiple dark brown stains and the kitchen floor was sticky . The phone didn't work , the shower curtain was mildewed and the place was generally in disrepair . The hollow wooden doors provided no security . The courtyard area has some faded charm and the breakfast was O.K. The pool area seemed a little creepy and the pool isn't heated at all. The staff seemed friendly except when we wanted to move . There are much better hotels at slightly higher prices in this
area .

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank gutzler

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Brockton,Ma.
Reviewed January 31, 2006

We always stay at the Century Wilshire when we go to Los Angeles every year. Ken at the front desk is very accomodating and usually upgrades us to a suite when it is available. This time was no exception. Thanks to Ken we were very happy with our stay. Everyone is very friendly here and aim to please. The continental breakfast is ample and very good. You can sit inside or outside in a garden setting. The lobby is very inviting with the fragrance of fresh flowers and plants. The rates are very reasonable for the excellent location on beautiful Wilshire Boulevard within walking distance of Westwood Village. To top it off the parking is free, making this an excellent bargain.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank HDW9
Reviewed December 8, 2005

I stayed here a few years ago and returned because I remembered it being sort of charming and "old LA." Evidently they haven't done any maintenance since then. My room was in terrible disrepair. I wore my flip flops every minute I was in the room (something I've never felt the need to do before), including the grimy shower, because it just seemed so dirty. The rooms have no modern security. The windows are drafty, and if you get a room near Wilshire Blvd the noise is relentless (I had to use earplugs). The furniture is falling apart and there wasn't even a clock. The lobby is beautifully polished but reminiscent of a funeral home, particularly because of the dark wood and the overpowering, sickeningly sweet flowers everywhere. This place is, in my opinion, overdue to be razed and replaced with a high rise like the ones flanking it. The grounds do remain beautiful, the parking is free and Westwood is only a short stroll away. It's in an excellent location.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2005

Upon check-in everything seemed okay! I was checked in by a great front desk clerk. Upon my way up to my room I found a transient person smoking and drinking in the stair-way (the elevator was out of order). He was talking to himself and having a good time. I waved it off, but upon entering my room it was already occupied. The person in the room was just like a deer in headlights and said nothing. I walked down the stairs with my luggage and to my dismay was told that I had to stay in the room assigned to me and that the guest in their had to vacate. I was shocked because it was midnight ( I checked in late) and I inquired about housekeeping turning the room around and the front desk clerk said oh? Then he proceeded to give me an upgrade and then that room was not ready. I checked out and he had tried to charge me. I almost lost it, but I proceeded to the egress and I recommend that you do too. Walking down the stairs to the underground parking lot was very scary. There were a couple of transient people hanging out and doing I don't know what??? Be carefull and remember pay the extra money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2005

I am unsure that I would stay at this hotel for anything other than basic business travel--it has no electronic locks on the doors, and it felt unsafe to me. I ended up taking my PalmPilot and other valuables along with me to the conference I was attending. A woman literally walked into my room my first night there, looking for someone--I had the chain on the door, so she couldn't walk in, but it was a hazard of not having e-locks. The bathrooms had very chipped paint on the cabinets (though I did like the full, vintage-looking bathroom, which was very clean, with pretty pink tile.). Hotel staff cleaned the room up very nicely. The elevator died when I was there-I feel concerned about elderly or disabled folks in the hotel with such an unreliable elevator. I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast, but the breakfast room looked pretty. There is also a nice little business center. The staff was actually pretty nice to me and I did not have to leave my key at the desk (they said it was optional). Good location near Westwood Village.

Stayed November 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2005

Upon my arrival in my room, I found the TV not working (all snow) so I tried to call the front desk....but the phone didn't work...so I walked to the front desk and asked for help. I told the desk clerk that the phone didn't work and she said "go behind the dresser and make sure it is plugged in or wiggle the cord"...when I asked how to get the TV to work she said "how am I supposed to know?". This place is one to avoid, the main elevator feels like you are going to drop to the basement and the rooms are oh so basic (not even an alarm clock in them).
You can do much better than this place...

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business