“Charming -- We will return!”
Review of Century Wilshire

Century Wilshire
and 1 more site!
Century Wilshire
Ranked #293 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
A TripAdvisor Member
“Charming -- We will return!”
Reviewed October 17, 2005

The Century Wilshire is a charming, small hotel---a friendly oasis in the big city.We loved our three nights here. The rooms are clean and well furnished. The continental breakfast, juice, fresh fruit, rolls and muffins is enjoyed in the cosy dining room or the spacious outdoor garden. The hotel is located in an attractive, safe,neighborhood a block from the Hammer Art Museum and within walking distance of many good restaurants. The pool is sparkling. The free parking a bonus. The staff helpful and friendly. Many of the guests are loyal repeaters. If you want a standard commercial hotel and require perfection--don't come. If you can roll with the punches when the bath water isn't always hot and prefer charm to glitz-- the Century Wilshire is forYOU! And by Los Angeles standards it's a bargain!

Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed September 15, 2005

I've stayed in hotels and motels all over the world, from Motel 6's and European hostels to Four Seasons, and this was WITHOUT A DOUBT the worst hotel I've ever encountered. Room looked like it was furnished from garage sale castoffs, plumbing was atrocious, breakfast buffet was little more than toast and jam, staff was unresponsive to complaints -- and I agree with other reviewers that the place generally felt unsafe. About the only good thing that can be said is that it's within walking distance of UCLA. Otherwise it's an absolute rip-off. Stay away.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed June 14, 2005

Upon our check-in at 4:50pm arriving from LAX, our room was NOT ready for occupancy. I informed the front desk and asked for another room as I should not have to wait. They seemed hesitant to give us another room, but did so anyway. The second room was half --- ready, missing a bedspread. I informed the front desk staff and they had one sent down by housekeeping. During our stay, the bottom of the shower doors hinge was completely off the track, the staff was rude and joked about the situation instead of taking it lightly as a hazard if someone were to get hurt. The continental breakfast staff was very adimant that you do not remove any dishware and take it to your room, just because you don't want to eat in a crowded room full of other guests. The parking situation sucked, as cars were stacked behind one another. And if the parking lot was full, you have to leave your car parked near the front desk and give your car keys to the front desk if they have to move the vehicle. Oh, also, at this hotel when you leave your room, you HAVE to leave your room key with the front desk staff. Let alone, giving someone the opportunity to go in your room at anytime you were not there. With all this said, the staff "supposedly" contacted the general manager about my complaint and provided an insulting $25 credit + tax.
My best guess. DO NOT STAY HERE! You'll waste your money. Better off staying at they Wyndham Bel Age or somewhere. As they state on their website, "Our cozy, European Boutique style hotel fits superbly in the wide rainbow of culture, taste and people who explore, visit and reside in our vast city." I think not!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Westminster, CO
Reviewed June 14, 2005

While not without some charm the overall impression this hotel leaves is one of promises unfulfilled and the feeling you have stayed at a very unprofessional establishment. If you have ever stayed in a dingy little hotel in Europe you know what you are in for. Rude staff, tiny rooms, tiny showers, horrible beds and a lack of good service. Also, the fact that you have to give your room key to them before leaving is astonishingly unsafe (as mentioned in a review here.)

Not only that but ANYONE can come in and say a room number and get a key. No I.D., no name check, nothing -- just "here you go." I could have asked for any room there, gone in and taken what I wanted and left. Do yourself and your belongings a favor -- go somewhere with electronic keys.

The bed was the hardest rock I have ever slept on (and I've stayed in many a low price hotel.) For something in this neighborhood and price range you would expect better.

I give it two stars as it does has some charm to it and the neighborhood is decent but very residential. Expect to drive everywhere -- but don't expect a parking space when you come back. The garage is tiny and dangerous. And doesn't fit all the guests cars. There was also a giant apartment party about 10 feet from our window (though not the hotel's fault -- the danger of being in that neighborhood.)

We had a horrible maintenance problem as well and were told that "We're not a Howard Johnsons." ---- right -- I'd rather be there where they would fix things that were dangerously broken.

There are many other hotels in the area albeit at $30-60 more a night. Do it -- this bargain is not worth it.

7 Thank crispee69
Reviewed March 27, 2005

I recently spent 5 nights at the Century Wilshire Hotel and found it to be a nice place, reasonabilty priced, and in a great location. Sure, it's a bit worn around the edges, but it was very clean and the staff were outstanding. Free parking is available in the hotel's basement and the continental breakfast, surrounded by guests from a varitey of countries, was a great way to start the day. On my third morning a guest sat at the hotel's piano and played some beautiful music while I read the paper and drank my morning coffee. What a great way to start your day.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 29, 2005

I decided to stay at the Century Wilshire because it seemed like a reasonable value compared to the hotels I usually stay at in L.A. Let me just say, I paid dearly for this decision. On the last night of my five-evening stay, someone got into my room during the DAYTIME (no forced entry) and stole my Apple laptop computer. The crooks also got into another room a few doors down and stole thousands of dollars in clothing. Mind you, this was during the day! Draw your own conclusions. When I reported this to the manager, he almost immediately went into a spiel about how the hotel isn't liable for stolen merchandise. His primary concern wasn't the fact that one of his guests had been violated while staying at HIS hotel. In fact, he never personally came to my room to see how I was doing. He did not warn the other guests of the security breach. He did not post any notices on my floor asking if anyone had noticed anything suspicious. Maybe we could have caught the guy? He would not call the police for me - I had to do it myself. All in all, he seemed to want to hush it up, let alone take responsibility. When I checked out the next day, I was shocked that he expected me to pay for this unfit room. After disputing this, he finally relented and comp'd one night of my stay because "the robbery didn't take place on the other nights." Is that absurd? This is the kind of place that will do very little to make sure future guests and their belongings are safe. I would be surprised if they even changed the lock on the door to the room I stayed in. I've been home for several weeks now and the hotel has never called me to apologize, nor have they responded to a letter I wrote requesting a full refund. Do not stay here. Spend the money and stay at The Argyle or The Standard or anywhere else. This is not a place you want to do business, let alone entrust with your safety and security.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
24 Thank rellek
Reviewed January 19, 2005

I highly recommend this hotel. I read the previous reviews and quite honestly was afraid to even stay there after reading some of them. It is true the place is an old apartment building but I was very happy with it. I got a junior suite that faced the courtyard. I did not find it noisy at all. The employees were very nice---especially a lady named Devin. My suite had 3 locks on the door as opposed to the one mentioned. There is a great place to eat in the Doubletree Hotel which is next door to this hotel. If you need to go to UCLA, it is so simple to get there. You could walk if you felt ambitious but I had a ton of stuff and an infant so I opted to drive. If you have children, its very family friendly with a full kitchen minus a dishwasher. There is a full size coffee pot but I learned you need to bring the coffee. I found out later I could have had some coffee brought to my room---good thing to remember for next time. The chairs are very comfy and "broke in". Feeding my baby was wonderful as the chairs rock to. I will definitely return to the Century Wilshire if I need to stay overnight again. I did not see the parking garage but I can tell you a Hummer will not fit. They will park it for you though where it is safe. I did not check out the continental breakfast so I can not comment on that.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member