Century Wilshire
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$359
$289
  • Breakfast included
$379
$329
$135
  • Pool
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$152
$382
$359
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
A TripAdvisor Member
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 2, 2004

I stayed for the first time at this hotel in 1973, and not very much has changed. But is is a hotel of a certain kind of charm, that you normally dont find i LA. Its within walking distance of the shops and restaurants in Westwood Village, which i s a great plus. There is free underground parking, another hit, and the suites are like an english country inn. The free breakfast is just coffee, but for a small charge you can have bacon and eggs or an omelette, freshly made, for 3-4 bucks. I have stayed there 3-4 times since, and I have always been safe, comfortable and satisfied.
John Lindskog
Travel Editor
Take Off Magazine
Copenhagen
Denmark

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2004

My 18 year old daughter and myself stayed at the Century Wilshire Hotel at 10776 Wilshire Blvd in Westwood from June 24 through July1, 2004. This was a great hotel- very quaint, clean and had huge rooms. No charge for parking. We rented a car at the airport and found this hotel to be close enough to drive to all the action of Hollywood Blvd.,Rodeo Drive, Getty Museum and La Museums, TV Studios, and easy to drive and get around to Chinatown, Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, Venice Beach. If you plan to rent a car and want a clean nice hotel this one is for you.My attitude is that I dont want to spend a fortune on a room but want a room I feel secure in, its clean and in a good section of town - this hotel has it all. If you are renting a car seriously consider this hotel- LA is easy to drive around in and there is no reason to spend the extra dollars some hotels require if you have a car- no matter where you go in LA you will need to drive. We felt this hotel was in a great location because it was in close proximity to everything. The employees of this hotel were very friendly and whenever we asked for directions they provided copies of maps with excellent directions! The continental Breakfast was just fine for us but for a nominal fee eggs, omelettes would be prepared for you. Our room had 2 queen beds, a full size kitchen and 2 huge closets. The bathroom had a tub and a full size walk-in shower. We had only planned to stay here part of our vacation time but because of the location and amenities we extended our stay an additional 3 days. Housekeeping did a great job also. By accident, Housekeeping removed my (white) pillowcase from the pillow I brought with me. I didnt realize it until the morning we were to check out.A few days after we returned home I received my pillowcase in the mail with a letter from the hotel management -I cant think of very many hotels that would go to this extreme- I was very impressed. Some of the mattresses were being replaced while we were there. I was told this hotel had been converted from an older apt building which explains the large rooms and atmosphere (baby grand piano in the lobby). Request a room not facing Wilshire Blvd. because like all major streets in LA there is traffic 24/7 and if you are not use to noise it may bother you. Our room faced the courtyard which we loved. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to friends and business acquaintances.

• Stayed: June 2004
9  Thank Vicki F
Reviewed June 12, 2004

I had 4 nights stay there. The hotel is pretty old inside and needs serious improvements. The staff was quite friendly but never offersed assistance themselves. Rooms had no noise insulation and if your location fronts Wilshire, you can't sleep at all.
In general it is very much moderate hotel which may be ranked not more than 2 stars.

4  Thank ANMow2014
Reviewed May 29, 2004

We enjoyed our stay at the Century Wilshire. Here is a run down of what we found during our two day stay. We visit LA about one a year and have been staying with friends. Now that we are older, we decided to try a hotel and will definitely stay here again. We paid $100/night for two nights. Our total bill came to $235.
The things we liked:
- Great location just south of UCLA. All of our friends are in that area so it is perfect for our yearly visits down there.
- Staff: main gentleman is helpful and nice. One of the ladies I asked a question of was a little more snotty, but she was tolerable.
- Old World Charm, traditional European decor, lots of antiquey looking furniture and persian carpeting.
- Room was clean. Bed was nice and firm and the sheets were very clean. Bathroom was small but very clean. Standard white hotel towels, not Egyptian cotton but clean.
- Charming patio area, just as it looks in the website promotional photos
- Great swimming pool
- Very cute, homey feeling breakfast area which provides small continental breakfast: various toasts, english muffins, sliced melon, bananas, raisin bread, OJ, apple juice and eggs cooked to order for $3.
- FREE parking - which is very hard to find in LA so this is a big plus. Most of the hotels in LA proper charge anywhere from $10-25 per night to park even as a hotel guest.
The things we didn't like so much:
- Wilshire is a very big, very noisy street. If you get a room facing the street, you will hear street noise and it is loud. Our room was on the corner with one wall facing the street. The windows are old fashion single pane levered glass. Very thin, you hear everything. By the second night, we were more used to it but we are both light sleepers and if street noise bothers you, you should not stay in this hotel.
- The Standard Room is a little small. Quaint and cosy is the operative word here. The hotel is old so don't come here if you expect everything to be brand spanking new. The furniture is very "comfortably worn in". Bathroom was small as well. But again, we weren't expecting a suite.
- There is a small lounge area with a grand piano on the first floor, but they keep the front doors wide open so it is noisy. Not suitable for a quiet chat or reading.
- The doors to each room/suite are not fire rated doors so don't expect the solid doors you find in newer hotels. But we never felt unsafe.
- The breakfast room is cramped but if you go eat on the patio, it is nice. It is definitely less crowded before 9:00am.
Again two ways to look at it - charmingly cosy or cramped. We prefered to think of it as cosy and will stay in this hotel again.

14  Thank travellingcatherine
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2004

This property is quite charming but it was not a great choice as it lacks many modern features. I found it overpriced for what you get. The staff was polite. The location is great and the parking is free. Next time I return to LA for pleasure I will chose the Magic Castle which has a similar charm but is better maintained.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member