“Central location and great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #24 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Egypt
“Central location and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

My family and I booked two rooms at the Sofitel this September and reading a few of the somewhat negative reviews below, I wonder if we are talking about the same hotel. First of all, the hotel staff was gracious enough to give us adjacent rooms and not just rooms on the same floor. The rooms were very spacious, spotless clean, and equipped with all the amenities you could ask for. The bathroom was equally spacious and the supplies replenished without the need to ask. The service from the reception desk and the concierge are exceptional. To give you a few examples: My husband had paid for a laptop at one of the stores but did not have the time to go pick it up; they did it for us and had it delivered to our room. I had seen a video camera that I liked at the same shop but did not remember the exact model. The concierge took the time to search the website of the store I was talking about, scanned all the models until I recognized the one I had liked, and sent out and got it for me. It was again delivered to the room on the same day. This came at a price, but with the short period of time we had at LA, every second counted. At one point, when we came down late one morning, and my elderly mother discovered that the coffee stand at the lobby was shut down, the front desk manager took the time to prepare her a cup in person and bring it over to her while we were waiting for a tour pick up.
Everytime we entered the hotel, the staff greeted us with a smile, asking if we were having a good time and if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. Also, we had stayed at the Renaissance for a couple of days before that, and while the location was exceptional and the view of the hills and the Hollywood sign an unexpected bonus, the staff there was snobbish and extremely unfriendly. The staff courteous, friendly and efficient attitude at the Sofitel was like a breeze of fresh air.
The location was also superb with lots of restaurants, shopping areas, and sights within walking distance.
I had such agood time there, that I was really sorry we had only booked a couple of nights and had to leave to San Diego. On a next visit to LA, this is where I will stay and this is the hotel I will be recommending to friends. It is a shame that the Renaissance staff is such a turn off - the hotel's location next to the Hollywood Highland and the view of the hills would have been a great sell.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Shakers_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
SYDNEY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

average hotel. A lot of noise from the street.

small pool side.

friendly stuff. great for bussiness purpose

B

• Liked — reasonable price
  • Disliked — average
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank bellabe
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

After seeing some of the reviews, I immediately requested a room facing the Hollywood Hills. The room was beautiful (6th floor), and you could see the Hollywood sign. We had a superior room, which I didn't feel was very small- then again, we're from NYC and used to apartments. It was very comfortable and quiet, with a great bathroom. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We actually didn't valet, and found street parking, which was a little stressful, but saved us $100. Be very careful of the street signs. We were moving the car at 8AM each morning, which was fine, still being on East Coast time. The pool area was nice, but smaller than the pictures. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Liked — our room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TraeV
Santa Cruz, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The room we booked was a King Superior with "some hills view". The room we were gives was a King room on the 8th floor but directly on Beverly Boulevard, with a view of the shopping center.

We got into the elevators and noticed they were not very clean, this continued throughout our stay, as did trash that was not picked up the entire stay. Hallway carpets were dirty and stained.

The room was small but clean, but very noisy. We could hear the traffic on Beverly and the people in the room next to us, especially when you were in the bathroom. We had to keep the bathroom door closed at night to keep the noise out.

The bed was the worst I have ever slept in. It was lumpy and uneven from the mattress cover, there was no headboard only a 4" gap between the bed and the wall where they had placed electrical strips. The down comforter was so heavy and hot you couldn't sleep under it, and there was no top sheet on the bed, so it was cover or nothing. Noisy A/C too.

Next morning I asked the receiption to please have housekeeping remove the comforter and put a top sheet and blanket on the bed. This was at 9:00 am. I asked again at 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Finally after my third call housekeeping brought me a sheet and blanket.

This to me is no 4 star hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Horrible bed, noisy room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aunteen
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

I've spent quite a bit of time in Sofitel hotels ... but this one is by far my favorite. The staff was exceptionally good -- which wasn't a surprise. I am always a bit annoyed with being forced into valet parking (I much rather prefer being able to access my car at all times), but that's LA for you. A bit of advice ... when checking in be sure to request a room with a view of the Hills, otherwise you will have a less-than-stellar view of the Beverly Center's concrete, multi-storied parking garage. When I stayed at the Sofitel, I was traveling with a group of about 8 co-workers, and we all agreed I had the best room. I had a breathtaking view of the Hills with french doors that opened to let a cool breeze in. The layout of my room meant the peek-a-boo shower window was directly over the bed (very sexy). Also, the shower itself is something worth mentioning. It was, without a doubt, the single best bathing experience I have ever had. An odd thing to mention, I know, but let me explain: the shower is massive ... like bathing in a walk-in closet. There are two water sources: one that pours directly from the ceiling like a waterfall. The other, when activated shoots a sharp stream of water from a handheld. There is a bench, should you care to steam. And there is a window that looks into the bedroom. Again, the single best shower experience I've ever had -- and I have had a lot of showers in some very luxurious places. Room service was reasonable, nothing stellar, but the food was consistently good. The flat screen TVs have a better channel selection, so I was happy to see that. The bar, the Stone Rose lounge, seemed to be a pretty popular spot at night (so be mindful at checkin if the noise is something you are sensitive to). All in all, a great place to stay and highly recommended.

• Liked — Shower. Shower. Shower.
  • Disliked — Valet parking ... always annoys me though.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank ElenaAP
Carrara, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

Our second stay at this hotel (our last one being in 2006 when the hotel was undergoing some serious renovations) and we were keen to see how the hotel had been upgraded.

As Sofitel Members we should be upgraded but unfortunately at check in there were no upgrades available, they were going to check and hopefully move us the next day. Only received one complimentary drink voucher (normally receive two) and when brought this to their attention a second was delivered.

Our room was very small but with a great view over the Hollywood Hills and the Hollywood sign, but very very small. My husband went back down and complained and we were moved to a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Beverly Centre shopping centre, not as good a view but certainly a much bigger room.

The Sofitel never disappoints and the service is consistent with other Sofitel hotels we have stayed in around the world. The beds were extremely comfortable and all facilities in the bathroom including robes and slippers were of the normal Sofitel Standard. Again free internet and complimentary water were given.

The Stone Bar (Cindy Crawfords husband designed it) was a happening place at night, a bit too noisy for us late in the night but a great place to have a drink before heading out at night, try and get one of the little booths outside and if not then a table outside. Check out the outside fire place with the dry ice - incredible at night

>The breakfasts were reasonably priced for Hotel standard and of a good standard, we had exceptional service the first day but the second day we had to chase up our meal twice, not good, however, the Restaurant Manager apologised and this meal was given to us complimentary, so couldn't complain.

>The concierge staff were very good,in particular arranging a Mustang Convertible car for us for one day with very short notice and the staff were always pleasant and very helpful.

>This is a good central hotel for visitors as the public transport system (if you need it) is accessible out the front, the Farmers Markets and Grove Shopping Centre are about a $8.00 - $10.00 cab trip down the road, or a bus trip and you can also get a bus to Santa Monica from outside in the Street ( you need to change buses). The renovations have been completed to a modern contemporary standard and we would stay at this hotel again.

> Lots of good restaurants around including the newly opened Gordon Ramsay "The London" In West Hollywood, again about $8.00 cab fare from the hotel.. We had dinner there (about two months after it opened) and the food was excellent, very small portion sizes so if you have the al carte you might want to order four or five courses. The Service could have been better and overall the restaurant was not up to the standard of his New York one, but it was a dining experience, a little more laid back style - but no Candy Trolley - which was exceptional in the New york Resturant

Not far from the Hotel is "The Ivy" restaurant and the Concierge staff can normally get you a reservation, whilst we did not eat there on this trip (2006 was enough as the food was fine but the service not great and their attitude was poor and quite agressive if you felt the service didnt warrant a huge tip) if you want to see the Paparazzi in action this is the street to be in,. We drove by one night and both sides of the Street was Pap heaven, there were people and flash lights everywhere.
Overall would recommend this hotel due to location and standard Sofitel exceptional service.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheryll
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

The hotel itself was nice. The staff were all wonderful. They were very nice and helpful. Always saying hi, opening doors for you, making good recommendations for restaurants, ect. The facilities were nice too. Everything was clean, nothing was falling apart, no complaints there. The massage I had at the spa was great. The spa itself was great, the fitness room was great, the restaurant was great, the room was great...except for the noise.
That's what made it get 2 stars.
I was on the fifth floor facing Beverly Blvd and it was like being in the middle of New York city! It is near the hospital, and it's a busy road, so that explains it. There was no noise from other guests, just the road but that's enough to keep you up at night. If you're lucky, maybe you can be moved to another room. But for the purpose of this review, it is about the room I was in. And there's a lot of other rooms that would have the same problem.

As some advice, if you stay here, make sure you don't have a view of Beverly Dr. Don't drink the 5$ still water in the minibar, there's free water at the gym. There's free internet at the gym, so depending on your purpose for using the internet you can avoid the WiFi fee. If you even move the drinks in the minibar (like if you were using it as a fridge for leftover food) they will charge you for it even if you don't open the bottles, so be prepared to tell that to the checkout people.

• Liked — Great showers, great staff, great facility, great location, great spa
  • Disliked — The noise from outside was rediculous.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business