“Great Experience”

Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
Ranked #28 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here at the tail-end of a month long journey through australia and new zealand. We booked through priceline and got a great rate for this hotel and were happy for it. The rooms were clean, modern, trendy. The bed was super comortable. Despite being on a main road, noise was at a minimum. The shower and bathroom were beautiful. We did have a problem with a light that didn't turn off and it was promptly fixed within 5 hours. The concierge desk was very helpful in helping us plan our trip. LA is a culture reliant on using a car or taxi's. We preferred to walk and found that many places did not take long to walk to: melrose avenue, the grove/farmer's market, and rodeo drive. All within a 45 minute walk. The Beverly Centre was right across the street. We did take the bus to Santa Monica and did take us a while but was a great experience. The taxi from the airport was around $45. The staff were great and the gym and swimming pool were wonderful. In fact the gym had better equipment (and lots of it) then most gyms you pay for. I would highly recommend this accomodation for a very comfortable safe stay in LA.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmgirl66
Sofitel-LA-GM-Office, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Sofitel Los Angeles. We are pleased you had an all around great experience with us and happy to hear that you found our amenities wonderful. On behalf of Sofitel Los Angeles we want to thank you again for recommending our hotel and hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Fantastic room (10th floor) with great views. Room service excellent, change towels twice a day, very polite and helpful staff. Location is good and plenty of nice cafes and restaurants around. Gym very well maintained and nice pool

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2011

If you are having an single overnight stay in LA between long haul flights, bear in mind that this hotel is half an hour's drive from the airport, or more, depending on time of day. The hotel does not provide a shuttle service. The Taxi prices may outweigh the price advantage of staying way from LAX airport hotels, if you are on a tight budget. (Allow $50 US for taxi one way. )

That being said, it it is a beautiful hotel, we enjoyed our stay, and if we were staying longer, there were ample nearby shopping and eating experiences, and many local tours to do, which sadly we did not have time for. So basically, this makes a very expensive sleepover if you only have one night!!

Our room was as the back and very quiet... great beds and pillows. We slept solidly for 10 hours!! Being Brits we would have liked tea making facilities in the room, but there is only a drinks fridge. However, room service is excellent, but beware the extra service costs.

One caution: The lobby is polished black marble and mirrored walls, which can be slightly disorientating for someone with sight impairment.... even though I wear glasses I kept trying to walk through the walls!

Staff were extremely helfup, and service was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was my 3rd visit to this Sofitel and once again was a great experience. Friendly & helpful staff, fabulous suite and great location for shopping & restaurants make it perfect for work & leisure.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2011

For the first time in five years of being married (with kids) my wife and I decided to take a get-away vacation for our anniversary. Although a family member volunteered to watch the kids we did not want to travel far so we looked to book a nearby hotel for some R&R. The Sofitel is five minutes from my house so it seemed like a wonderful option. Jetsetter was having a sale on rooms at the Sofitel but suites were not available, so wanting to splurge (our first time away-alone) we used hotels.com and got the Opera King Suite for twice the price of a regular room on Jetsetter.

We arrived for our two day get away at the hotel and we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who began checking us in. He then called over the manager and without saying anything pointed to the screen. The manager (M.) then pointed elsewhere on the screen and the receptionist replied "But..." and pointed again to the screen to emphasize his point. The manager simply replied "Over there" and once again pointed to the screen. Not being a complete idiot I began to realize there must be an issue with our reservation and asked if something is wrong but was assured that my reservation is "in order."

The manager walked away and the receptionist asked if we've ever stayed in the hotel to which I replied "no". He then sent us up to "our" room which, as I suspected, was not a suite and was a regular room which I could have reserved for half the price on Jetsetter that very day (no tub no balcony etc.) But the cleaning service did make sure to forget a dirty rag on the coffee table (I snapped a few pics of that too.)

It was now clear to me what had transpired and what all the screen pointing was about: all suites were booked and the receptionist asked if we've ever stayed there before hoping I wouldn't notice that the 300sqft room he sent us to was not 800+ sq ft nor was it a suite- perhaps he crossed his fingers hoping I would mistake the sink for a small "soaking tub".

I called down and said I was not sent to the room I reserved. To which the receptionist replied "I'm so sorry but all our suites are booked out". I said that is fine but I do not appreciate being treated like an idiot and perhaps you could have told me that before confirming that my reservation was "in order". I then asked for someone to come up and get our bags so I could check out and get a refund and go down a few blocks to The London (great hotel!!). He apologized profusely and asked for ten minutes to try and straighten it out.

We waited anxiously to hear back as we had a dinner reservation we had to make a week in advance (valentines day). A half-hr later we were escorted by the manger (M.) to a room that "should be to your satisfaction". We were brought into a suite (room #1002 which they insist is an opera king suite but if these pictures are correct it most certainly wasn't http://www.oyster.com/los-angeles/hotels/sofitel-los-angeles/photos/opera-suite/).

As we were in a rush to make our reservation we agreed to stay in the suite we were shown to. As the manger left and we put down our bags I noticed the room was filthy, pieces of bread and plastic around the bed and a sticky substance all over the marble floor. I called the manager again and said the suite you showed us to is filthy to which he again began profusely apologizing. He said he would send up room service asap and asked if we would accept free parking on account of our experience. As my wife felt bad that I was so disappointed she urged me to accept and to leave asap so we could make our reservation.

We missed our reservation.

Aside for a malfunctioning shade and a really PATHETIC SHOWER (an actual rain-shower has more pressure) the rest of our stay was without incident.

As we checked out I was presented with a bill which (you guessed it!) included parking as well. Being in a rush to get back to the kids I paid it, planning on calling for a refund.

First I called hotels.com and was told by the rep I have to call Sofitel and that there is nothing they could do. I then called Sofitel and asked to speak with a manger and was put in touch with a lady from Accor (sofitel's parent) who apologized profusely and assured me I would receive a call back asap. Over a week went by and I did not hear back so I called Accor directly and spoke to the global reservation desk and with a lady (J.) who again apologized for the lack of response and assured me once again I would hear back asap. Nothing.

Dear hotel patrons - if you are considering Sofitel for you LA stay you might want to consider a Motel 6 unless S&M is your thing.
Dear business owners: As a business owner myself I always appreciate when a customer gives me the opportunity to fix an issue before posting negative reviews. And that is precisely what I did in this instance. Please read the above as a lesson in how not to conduct your customer service.

2  Thank Albert323
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Spent one night with breakfast included. Breakfast was great as you could order of menu. Valet parking was required but very effiecient. Across the street from a huge mall with great stores and nice restaurants near by. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom had excellent shower. Room had 32 in flat screen with lots of channels. Only complaint...if you are facing the street it is noisy, even on the 9th floor. Service was first rate and would stay here again.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

We were going to stay at the Luxe, but it was fully booked.

As an A|Club Platinum member, I was extremely disappointed with this Hotel, and would never recommend it..
on arrival (in a taxi), we were totally ignored by the bellmen, standing in the driveway talking to each other. One did tell me that most of their guests use limo services ! When we left the hotel, one bellman quite disinterestedly asked me if I was waiting for something (obviously).. I said yes, a car to go to the airport.. he walked off.. my husband then spoke to him and said we had a limo booked, and he took more interest..

After we checked in, one came up and asked if we needed any help. I told him that we had managed to get 4 cases out of the taxi on our own, so would get to our room... we were not given any special service on check-in or later. I asked if we could have a late check-out, and was told till 4pm only. I offered to pay a half-day rate if we could stay till 8pm, but was told no. Another guest I spoke to paid far less than us, and got a 4pm check out easily.. and wasn't an A|Club member.
The room (apparently an upgrade) was a weird shape, very little space for suitcases, and no bath.
I asked for a kettle and 2 cups, the kettle came (tip given), no cups. I had to call again, cups came (another tip).
Paying $10/day for internet access is outrageous - and that's if it works. The sofitel hotel compendiums all refer to an internet service that is NO longer used by any of them. When I tried to connect and couldn't, I called the number provided and was told that they no longer provided support or a service to Sofitel Hotels. (2 of the 3 computers in the Business Centre required a password, and one mouse needed replacing.)

I wasn't given the complimentary drink voucher, nor a welcome gift until I asked about them - then the staff person told my VIP status wasn't flagged, which was strange considering that I put it in the booking.
The noise in the restaurant and bar was so loud that we left dinner early = it was also almost impossible to read the menu in the restaurant, or hear the wait staff.
Our room was quiet - the only plus. On the afternoon we were due to leave, the phone rang around 3.15pm, but nobody answered me. When we did leave 3 staff were sitting in the corridor outside the room.

We stayed here after 2 other sofitels - and LA Sofitel just doesn't compare with, eg, Washington, where each time we walked up to Reception, we were greeted by name, and the bellmen and concierge staff also greeted us by name, and always greeted us.

8  Thank FlyingSomewhere
West Hollywood
Chamberlain West Hollywood
Chamberlain West Hollywood
#6 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!