WINNER WONDERLAND

Sanborn Guest House
Ranked #21 of 88 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Tyler's Place - such a delight!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at Tyler's Place accomodation for four nights in July 2012 and I absolutely could not fault it. As a solo female traveller being in the States for the first time, I was apprehensive about staying in such a big city all on my own, but I have to say, everything about this accommodation put my mind at ease. From it's location to the manager of the property (Donald) with all of his very helpful advice, there was nothing that I was unhappy with. The area is just lovely; Tyler's Place is only a few minutes walk away from Sunset Blvd and the delights that the area of Silver Lake offers - so, so many lovely vintage shops and restaurants in a safe area. I found it to be perfect for someone who wouldn't want to be in the full thrash of tourist LA.

As for the accomodation itself, I was very impressed. A beautiful and gleaming apartment, all attended to by Donald himself. Modern decor and comfortable furnishings with a lovely homely feel to it. The kitchen was beautiful! Very well stocked, as was the bathroom. Donald provides ample books/leaflets on the local area and he is there for his guests 24/7. There is a lovely patio area which is lovely to enjoy breakfast in the sunshine in.

The apartment is very handy for public transport - I don't drive so relied on the local bus/train service. It's just a few minutes walk from the nearest bus stops that will give you access all through LA (plan your travel though, as travelling in LA takes time!). The wifi in the apartment is very good, so that enabled me to plan with no problems at all. The nearest train station (Santa Monica/Vermont Red Line Metro) is about 15 minutes walk away which wasn't a problem for me - a great way to see more of the local area. It's also only 10 minutes walk away from the supermarket so you're never too far away from buying necessities.

I really loved it here. I know for definite that when I return to LA again, this will be my base as there is so much more the area that I'd love to see. I would stay here any day over a hotel - the comfort of having my own space in such a lovely location was just perfect for me and made for a very personalised experience. I highly recommend Tyler's Place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank deetee23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at Tyler's Place at Sanborn Guest House for 2 nights in May. Douglas (the proprietor/manager) was super helpful and friendly, especially as I had slightly messed up my dates and times. It was a very convenient location, LA is hard without a car but there were a ton of great places to eat, have coffee, catch up with friends, shop etc all a walkable distance. I felt like I had my own little gorgeous hipster pad to hang out in while exploring. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ABR79
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed in the guest suite for 3 nights in April 2012. During our stay we relied entirely on public transport.
I can't fault anything about the accommodation.
The location was excellent with buses and light rail providing easy access to down town, Hollywood and even Santa Monica. There were some wonderful eateries in the vicinity and the local area offered some nice views of the surrounding hills.
The suite itself was very spacious and comfortable. We had joint use of the adjoining kitchen.We didn't use it much as we preferred to eat out. Intending visitors should note that breakfast is not provided.
The owners were friendly and kindly stowed our bags for us on our last day for us to collect at 6pm.
I suggest to any likely guests using public transport, that they take the Flyway bus to and from LAX and Union Station and then the Red Line to Vermont/ Santa Monica. On arrival we took the train all the way from LAX, but I don't really recommend that as the trains are often busy so toting luggage is a little inconvenient. While this also an issue on the Red Line, the trip isn't that far.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chaucer
Kerikeri, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed 4 nights and highly recommend this guesthouse in Silver Lake. Spacious and comfortable room, quiet, safe (single female), own entrance, well equipped kitchen shared with other suite, secure off-street parking. Hosts very helpful on arrival, though did not see them again during my stay. Woould definitely return!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ellen-Marie
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Sanborn Guest House is conveniently located in the Silver Lake district of Los Angeles, near to restaurants and shops. It is clean and cozy, and lovingly cared for by its owners, Gary and Jaime. The price is very reasonable and worth every penny. A special bonus is off street parking (a valuable commodity in this area!). There is a tranquil garden in which to relax, and a fully stocked kitchen where you can prepare meals, if you choose. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Nush13
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

This B & K (bed and kitchen) has so many good things going for it, I don't know where to start. First off, Gary and Jaime are friendly and obliging hosts. Their Sanborn Guest House is in the Silver Lake area of LA (that's east of Hollywood) and it's well situated for easy access to downtown, Griffith Park, Hollywood, etc., etc.. The accommodations are clean, comfortable, and quiet. We slept soundly in the back room which borders the little parking area and garden. You share a kitchen with the guests in the other room, but your bath is private. A big issue in LA is parking, If you've stayed in LA and have had to pay through the nose for parking or have worried about leaving your car on the street, it's a relief to drive into your off-street, gated parking spot at Sanborn House. BTW, there are some really good places like Mille's and K2 nearby on Sunset Blvd. for breakfast if you don't feel like making your own at Sanborn House. We stayed for five nights, and we intend to stay again during our next trips to LA.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

If you don't need to be near Santa Monica etc this place is perfect. Spotlessly clean, funky silver lake locale, private parking behind a gate, large room, private bath, free coffee, great price. I cant rate this high enough. I love it.

• Stayed August 2011