Cinema Suites Bed & Breakfast
$362
$279
Sofitel
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$154
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$189
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$267
$259
  • Breakfast included
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$305
$216
$203
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
$591
$575
$171
$167
  • Pool
All reviewssmall roomcasablanca roomliving roomthe la brea tar pitsbeverly hillsbreakfast was excellentwalking distancewill stay there againhollywood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2013

During the past 15 months we have stayed on two occasions at Cinema Suites with our three-year old son. The purpose of the trip included visiting the LACMA and Page Museums (La Brea tar pits), both located at walking distance (5-10 minutes) on Wilshire Blvd. The combination of its convenient location (30-40 minutes driving to LAX), friendliness of Dianne, Mike, and all employees, cleanliness, reasonable price, and great breakfast is hard to beat. In short: a friendly place with helpful people in a safe area. Will certainly stay there again, if opportunity surfaces.
The only inconvenience: Fairfax Ave is somewhat noisy during the morning hours, but if you live in a big city as we do (Mexico City), probably a minor issue.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed at Cinema suites recently. Normally I will choose a B&B because I like to chat with the owners, find out about the local scene. I saw Dianne for about 3 seconds as we checked in, Michael was very nice as we checked in, explaining all about the house and our room. After that, never saw either of them again. Our room? Well the TV was from the 70's I think. Haven't seen a tube TV for a long time. Both my wife and I got trapped in the bathroom when the door knob came loose from the inside! Lol, thought we were trapped for good. The toilet wouldn't flush most of the time, making you very nervous using it. We were both looking forward to a delicious breakfast as this has been our B&B experience in the past. Breakfast? Scrambled eggs... no meat what so ever, dry toast, and pineapple and melon. Very disappointed in breakfast. Location was great for getting around town, but very noisy street to be on.Will we return? No worst B&B ever. sorry Cinema Suites.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
19  Thank LMB787
CinemaSuites, Owner at Cinema Suites Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Regrding… after check-in “never saw either of them again”: We would like to use the occasion of this comment to speak to our guests and prospective future guests. We have a home office in the center of the house on the ground floor. The office has no doors, we invite visitors to come in, and we work here in the office Monday through Friday. Michael, the Office Manager, gets into the office by 8 or 8:30am and works until at least 5pm. I am a late sleeper. Ever since the years when I was the rock and roll music columnist for the Hollywood Reporter I have been on rock and roll time. Though I have tried many times to change my sleep rhythm, my body has never readjusted and I usually don’t get into the office until about 10 or 10:30am. I apologize to the guests that would like to see me at breakfast, but I do live here and I work in the office downstairs. If you have been unable to connect with me and would like to talk, please call me and we’ll try to find a time to chat. My cell phone number is at the top of the Guest Information Sheet in every room and I welcome hearing from our guests. Also, we generally pick up the office phone until about 10pm at night. If you get the answering machine please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.

We do have other business interests which we manage from our home office at Cinema Suites, but everything comes to a halt when a guest has a question. I am well connected in the LA business community, and I can frequently offer advice and direction if you are looking to grow your career or business here.

We care about our guests and we are regularly complimented on our service.

Regarding “the TV was from the 70s I think”: Though it’s not from the 70s the TV in this room is a tube television. It is a 37” Sony - it’s not HD but it has an excellent picture. In the coming year we will invest some money in flat screen HD televisions.

Regarding issues with the bathroom: We are very sorry that these guests had problems in the bathroom. Our historical home was built in 1922 and has original a lot of original hardware that requires maintenance which we always try to stay on top of. The door handles are glass and brass knobs that screw on to a spindle in the center. Evidently the set screw that holds the knob in place came loose, and continually turning the knob counter clockwise unscrewed the knob from the spindle. When the knob is turned clockwise the handle tightens and the door opens. We don’t expect our guests to understand how the hardware works and we apologize we didn’t catch the loosening set screw in our periodic maintenance. Perhaps we can solder the set screw in place so that it never comes loose. Regarding the toilet not flushing properly, this toilet requires that you hold down the handle for a few seconds before releasing the lever. We will change the hardware inside the tank so it is not necessary to hold the lever down. If there was another problem with the toilet we did not hear about it. These guests did not inform us of any of the problems they were having. If they had let us know what was going on we could have fixed the problems in about three minutes.

Regarding Breakfast: As for “dry toast,” well, we market many times a week, everything is always fresh and there is always butter, fruit preserves, peanut butter and honey on the table… We are very sorry if these guests were not made aware of their other choices besides scrambled eggs. We get many rave reviews on our breakfasts. In addition to eggs any style, we have a great House Special Scramble with spinach, cheese and green onions, and we also serve tasty omelets with vegetables and cheese. The breakfast menu also includes fresh cut fruit, Yoplait yogurt, 4 or 5 kinds of cold cereal including granola, organic whole grain wheat toast, English muffins, butter, fruit preserves, peanut butter and honey as mentioned above, fresh squeezed orange juice, organic gourmet coffee, tea and milk. We have recently added oatmeal and sliced tomatoes. We will also serve sliced avocado when available.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Cinema Suites for a long weekend and found the place to be very charming and nice. The location is great as it is very central to L.A so you have a nice home base to start out your days events. It's actually near the corner of two major streets that run right through the heart of the city so you'll have an easy time getting back if your not familiar with L.A. The house is very clean and though we never saw or spoke to the proprietors during our stay we did speak with the young man that prepared breakfasts and he was a very friendly guy who made you feel welcome and at home. Our room was very clean and cute and the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean with plenty of towels for us. Now here are the things that you need to know if you choose to stay here. The first thing is the parking situation which may or may not be a problem for you. There is very limited parking right in front of the house which as I stated is on a major street so your best bet is to circle the block and park on a side street which will put you a block from the house. As a frequent traveler I had no issues with this but if your not comfortable in cities that you don't know you may find this to be a problem. The neighborhood is nice so you shouldn't feel uncomfortable walking the block back to your car even at night. My wife and I chose the small room which is at the back of the house and through the kitchen and as I stated before we are frequent travelers so when we saw how small the room was it was not an issue for us as we've stayed in rooms of that size in Europe but it may be an issue for you if your used to American hotel room sizes because it is very small. I would say it will work for two average sized people but not a larger couple. As an older house you can hear everything that goes on in the kitchen as well as upstairs above you and anyone out back. They other thing is when the people above you use the shower or bathroom it sounds like a waterfall above your head. I say these things not to dissuade you or complain about the place but simply to prepare you if you choose this particular room. If your a light sleeper you won't like this room as all of this will wake you up and ruin your experience. If we stayed here again we would choose a room upstairs as opposed to the small room but of course the upstairs rooms are more expensive so you'll have to ask your self if the cost of an upstairs room, which are comparable to a regular hotel at that point, justifies staying here and getting the BnB experience or getting a room at a regular hotel. Overall, I think that the place is nice and clean and I felt safe bringing my wife here so under the right circumstances I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank itsanthonya
CinemaSuites, Manager at Cinema Suites Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

We would like to thank the reviewer for sharing his thoughtful observations designed to help other travelers.

Regarding Parking: We do have free parking in the lot right next to our house. We rent spaces from the owner of the lot, and unfortunately, just before the weekend that this couple stayed with us we were contacted by the owner of the lot, saying that his board of directors was demanding that we purchase a Commercial Liability Insurance Policy applying directly to their lot, and requiring that we not use the lot until the policy was in place. So we were in the process of acquiring the insurance policy and did not have access to the lot on the weekend when these guests were here. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Regarding The Small Room: I have slept in The Small Room on many occasions and I have always slept very well. The bed is extremely comfortable. The occasional sound of water in the pipes reminds me of rain or the ocean – both sounds that I like and sounds that help me go to sleep. I have never been awakened by these sounds, so I am clearly not as light a sleeper as these guests. We try to be very conscious of noise in the kitchen. In the morning we whisper in conversation until the guests in The Small Room are awake and we try to make as little noise as possible with the dishes. There is usually no noise, or very, very little noise, in the kitchen after 7:30pm. The Small Room is actually our most popular room – particularly for the price point. Many guests absolutely love this room and request it when they return.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I visited America from South Africa recently and stayed at Cinema Suites for 5 days in early September and another 5 days during November and I can honestly say that it was a great choice. Dianne and Michael are super nice friendly people who went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. On both occasions I stayed in the spacious well-appointed Hollywood room which has the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. They go the extra mile in providing more than the normal for breakfast – freshly sliced fresh fruit every day, yoghurt, cereals, eggs to order, orange juice, toast, English muffins and more. The B&B is ideally situated in Fairfax Avenue, in close proximity to Wilshire Blvd, bus routes, in walking distance of Beverly Hills, and restaurants. I could not fault the establishment in any way. A big thank you to Dianne and Michael for your hospitality during my stay with you and I will certainly pass the word around to my South African friends who visit Los Angeles and are looking for superior accommodation and reasonable rates.

Room Tip: A great choice is the Hollywood Room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Gordon_F643
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Cinema Suites last Saturday in the Shangri-la room. The house looked very old hollywood and the history behind it was very interesting. The room was nice except the pillows are really REALLY flat so if you like fluffy pillows bring your own. The traffic is very noisy anytime before midnight which I experienced first hand. I tried to take a nap at 6pm while wearing 2 ear plugs and an eyemask and I never actually fell asleep. The next morning we woke up early and was served a very yummy breakfeast which I would say was the highlight of the stay. WARNING: there is a private lot right next to the B&B which has many open spaces to park. We were the only car parked there that night and some bum threw a garbage can on our rental car leaving scratches and a car covered in garbage. This was disappointing but obviously not the B&B's fault.

Room Tip: Stay in a room near the back of the house, traffic is very noisy in the front!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple