“Nice hotel in sketchy neighborhood”

Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks
Ranked #40 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have relied on TA to give me guidance for over 10 years now, but this is the first time I really feel like it let me down. I am shocked at the high rating here after staying here 3 nights recently. First of all, this hotel is in Van Nuys NOT Sherman Oaks. It is indeed a central location for a LA tourist, but this area did not feel safe to us at all. As many have already stated, parking is a huge issue. To be exact, there are 96 guest rooms here according to the website and I counted about 40 or so parking spaces plus a few extra for Hilton Diamond members and handicapped guests. Many are marked "compact," yet large SUVs are in them regardless. Otherwise, you will have to park in an addl unsecured lot that is not within view of the hotel, not well lighted and right off the freeway. An empty building with trash all around it and seedy apartment building behind that stands between the lot and the actual hotel. We heard the residents cursing at each other through the open windows one day, and the next day, there was a creepy guy in this lot taking pics of very young teen girls, like photo shoot. The other side of the hotel is flanked by a similar building, which was the view from our window. This is also the first Hampton I have ever stayed in that requires you to swipe your key card to access the elevator, I assume for additional security.
On a positive note, this was about like any other Hampton (I've stayed in about 30), with clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and a nice free breakfast, and always having that consistency is why I am a repeat customer of this brand, and I will likely continue to be. Once inside, I have no complaints whatsoever about this hotel, and every staff person we encountered was great. It's too bad they can't just pick the building and its staff up and move it somewhere else.
I have to wonder of all the great ratings here were based on the hotel and/or staff itself (which are deserving), and some folks, like us on the first night, just may not have realized where this place is really located. A simple Google search of crime and gang activity for the Van Nuys area while in my hotel room was enough for me to know I will not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrspopeye
Cristian O, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

I'm glad we were given the chance to accommodate you during your stay with us and am very pleased to hear that our team gave excellent service. I would like to go over the parking we have next door and mention that it is well lit through out the night plus we also have security 7 days a week. I understand that our parking was a little fustrating in the past and this is why we had our complimentary valet come in. Since we purchased the lot next door we've canceled our valet system.

I also would like to add that we just finished demolishing the building next door and now we are going to knock down the wall to give access directly from our emmediate parking lot to next doors lot. By August 1st guests will no longer have to walk on the sidewalk to get to our hotel because our two lots will connect giving guests an easily accessible route directly to the lobby entrance.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was a beautiful hotel with amazing and friendly accommodating staff. Breakfast was fantastic. The beds are extremely comfortable. You can't beat the free internet. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Staff was incredible. We lost more than one item and they helped us find our belongings during and after the stay within minutes of notifying staff of our loss. Always felt like staff wanted to go above and beyond to help. I travel often for work and this was my best experience (for the price) in the past several years. Breakfast in the morning is top notch. Best free hotel breakfast I've ever had. Hands down. Wow.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Martin A
Reviewed July 9, 2014

you can find very comfortable and cleanings rooms, that you can feel as home , good food , the stuff is very friendly, you can ask anything you need they are there to help you out. the service at the hotel is excelente

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 380martag
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Parking is tough here at this hotel, and we had numerous problems with our room key not working, but the hotel is clean, moderately quiet, and has an indoor pool. Staff was okay; missing from the front desk for a long period with no note late at night, made us bring the key card down twice for re-keying.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank TrixieBelle
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Hi there. i spent a week over there cuz i was on a North - South Cailfa Trip.

I was looking for a place around LA area where i could stay near of all the places. I always had great time on Hampton Inn.

The hotel is very good, clean, great staff, large rooms and original Hamptonn Breakfast.

Best of all, i was looking for a central spot and the hotel did the job. This is the place if you need to visit LA area. From there you are next to Malibu, SM, SB, Disney ETC.

We had a gret time there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank GUS_RJ
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great hotel just on the outskirts of LA. Super convenient to all major freeways. Since we were doing a lot of touring around LA, didn't want to be just by the beach or downtown LA/Hollywood. This was a good compromise. The front desk staff is top notch and very professional. Great free breakfast with many hot and cold choices. Free cookies in the late afternoon, as well as a very nice pitcher of lemon water or iced tea out in the afternoon too. Nice touch! We had the Queen suite with 2 queen beds and pull out couch. The room was huge and gave us plenty of room to spread out. Housekeeping excellent too. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the location. It's a bit sketchy, especially at night. The back up lot is right next door but you pretty much park your car and run! Definitely not the type of place you can stroll around at night, but I would still recommend it. Oh and super comfy beds!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family