I have relied on TA to give me guidance for over 10 years now, but this is the first time I really feel like it let me down. I am shocked at the high rating here after staying here 3 nights recently. First of all, this hotel is in Van Nuys NOT Sherman Oaks. It is indeed a central location for a LA tourist, but this area did not feel safe to us at all. As many have already stated, parking is a huge issue. To be exact, there are 96 guest rooms here according to the website and I counted about 40 or so parking spaces plus a few extra for Hilton Diamond members and handicapped guests. Many are marked "compact," yet large SUVs are in them regardless. Otherwise, you will have to park in an addl unsecured lot that is not within view of the hotel, not well lighted and right off the freeway. An empty building with trash all around it and seedy apartment building behind that stands between the lot and the actual hotel. We heard the residents cursing at each other through the open windows one day, and the next day, there was a creepy guy in this lot taking pics of very young teen girls, like photo shoot. The other side of the hotel is flanked by a similar building, which was the view from our window. This is also the first Hampton I have ever stayed in that requires you to swipe your key card to access the elevator, I assume for additional security.
On a positive note, this was about like any other Hampton (I've stayed in about 30), with clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and a nice free breakfast, and always having that consistency is why I am a repeat customer of this brand, and I will likely continue to be. Once inside, I have no complaints whatsoever about this hotel, and every staff person we encountered was great. It's too bad they can't just pick the building and its staff up and move it somewhere else.
I have to wonder of all the great ratings here were based on the hotel and/or staff itself (which are deserving), and some folks, like us on the first night, just may not have realized where this place is really located. A simple Google search of crime and gang activity for the Van Nuys area while in my hotel room was enough for me to know I will not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our property has everything you need in order to work, relax and have fun. Free internet, full breakfast and parking plus a heated indoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks Hotel Los Angeles
- Hampton Inn And Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks
- Hampton Inn Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn Van Nuys