“Carnivore's delight”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Vista and Gardner
Reviewed September 6, 2012

As someone who eats out at many "celebrity chef" restaurants, it was great to see that Iron Chef Eric Greenspan was in the kitchen cooking - and what fantastic cooking too!

Great drinks and service from the lovely staff.

Well done all.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

9/3/2012

OMG! If I could give them a higher than a "5" star rating, I would definitely do so.

For the past year, I have developed severe food allergies, so that when I go out to eat I must hand the waiter my very long list of "no - nos" (gluten, dairy (except for eggs), sugar, white rice, corn, soy, salt, nightshade vegs (potato, tomato, eggplant, peppers), anything pickled, mushrooms, most fruits, anything cooked with peanut, soy, canola, corn, or cottonseed oil). Usually restaurants would give me something from their standard menus but leave out what the seasoning and sauces, meaning the end results are pretty bland and uninspiring.

I am amazed by Nick Russo's, Foundry's chef, solution: he took my list and made me a special appetizer and entree from scratch! He even went to the extent of going to the next door restaurant and borrowing some of their brown rice, so he could make the entree he had in mind. For the appetizer, Nick made me chopped up kale, mixed with lemon juice, and a poached egg. For the entree, Nick made me (at least what it looked/tasted like) brown rice mixed with grilled chopped up califlower and cabbage, with 5 generous pieces of seared ahi on top. For the entree, Nick let the natural tastes of the individual ingredients speak for themselves. The meal was delicious. Talk about being responsive to a patron's wishes -- I couldn't have been happier. It would be wonderful if all restaurants chefs were equally as creative and responsive.

I don't know Nick's culinary background, but he clearly has excellent credientials. I must give major cudos to Eric Greenspan, well known chef, and owner of Foundry, for collaborating with Nick, and that my family and I were lucky enough to have been there on an evening when Nick was presiding over the kitchen.

The rest of my family, who has no such dietary restrictions, were also very happy with all of their menu selections.

Lastly, there's an amazing drink called Tengo Tango (tequila, tangerine, cilantro and slivers of jalapeno) which was so excellent, my family had 2 rounds.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great chef, very creative. If you go back, as we've done, you're almost always in for a new surprise. Latest, very clever and tasty flank stake "bi bim bap" with all the flavors of a great Korean BBQ in one disk. And my partner's pork "chop' one of the most delicious I've tasted. But the service just was sad. We never could figure out who our server was and would have walked but for the Matre 'D who make a valiant effort, but shouldn't be waiting tables, and a bus boy, who seemed to be the only other one in the place who had a clue about service. Superstar chef Greenspan has a wonderful kitchen, but service lets him down.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I searched for a good restaurant on a recent trip to Hollywood, and came upon a few good reviews for The Foundry on Melrose.

We arrived a few minutes before dinner service begam and sat in their waiting area. The interior was sparse and modern. Nothing special. However, we were seated in the back patio next to a fireplace and began with the house cocktail with burbon. It was wonderful. We ordered the potato soup (a must!), duck, roasted chicken,
and for dessert the Panna Cotta. All dishes were excellent and the service was very good.

Would go there again, for sure.

1  Thank ccinCalifornia
Reviewed October 16, 2011

This is a very nice upscale restaurant.The service is excellent. The food is delicious.
The presentation is also very enjoyable.