“Enjoyed 3 night stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #207 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
“Enjoyed 3 night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here with my son for three nights during spring break. Nicely appointed room, with flat screen TV, desk, iHome alarm clock, safe for laptop/tablet. Very spacious bathroom. The only reason that it doesn't get 5 stars is the lack of a dresser. It can be hard living out of suitcases, but it didn't bother two males. :)

Room Tip: Our room faced LAX, but although we saw planes, we never heard them.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank vernperry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

It has taken me a long time to get around to reviewing this hotel, and I usually wouldn't bother taking the time to write a review so long after staying somewhere. However, my husband and I were so impressed with the Custom Hotel that I thought I should still write a review. As the options for when travel took place do not go further back than May 2013, I have selected this date. However, please note that our stay at this hotel was in fact in April 2010. The reason for the delay in reviewing is explained later.

For our honeymoon we had flown to San Francisco and, after a few days there, had hired a Winnebago and travelled down the coast to various locations as well as into Death Valley, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and then on to LA where we dropped off the motorhome and headed to the Custom Hotel.

When booking the Custom online, I had mentioned that our stay would be part of our honeymoon and upon arrival we had been upgraded to a suite. This included a sitting room, two bathrooms and a well-appointed bedroom with a very large and comfortable bed. This type of service is not provided at many of the larger hotel chains.
The manager when we stayed was terrific, very friendly, courteous and helpful. Sadly I cannot recall his name now as I would like to have specifically identified him.

The hotel itself is well located, with good facilities such as the pool and bar. Nearby are a range of restaurants and bars. It is possible to get to Venice Beach and surrounding areas easily by public transport, and although people tend not to walk anywhere in LA we also had some enjoyable walks around the local area.

Our stay was extended due to the eruption of an Icelandic volcano which prevented air travel to England. The manager allowed us to remain in the suite (and still at the price of the standard room that I had originally booked). Unfortunately, whilst we were unable to return home we heard from a relative that our house had been burgled and this made it difficult to enjoy the rest of our 'bonus' extended honeymoon. The manager was very sympathetic to our situation and really made an effort to make our stay as pleasant as possible in the circumstances. The aftermath of the burglary took so much time and effort to sort out that reviewing this fantastic hotel was not a consideration. However, I feel that I should commend the hotel and its staff even though so much time has passed. Of course it is possible that in the intervening years the hotel staff may have changed and the service may no longer be as it was, but I was very pleased with the hotel when I stayed before and so I would definitely stay here again if visiting LA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison C
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was absolutely stuck at LAX with a flight delay to Honolulu and a lack of sleep that had my eyes dripping with stress just trying to read the laptop screen without falling completely out of my face for the insane costs of hotels in the LAX area. My pockets were equally weary due to recent trip to Las Vegas and somehow believing that dollar slots at 3am would be my ticket to a private jet back home to the new villa on the oceanfront. Stupid me. Poor, delirious and weepy, I was frantically seeking free wifi in LAX while eyeballing a bench from afar with visions of spooning with pigeons at dawn.
I had considered sleeping on a bench nearby, however, did not want to put fellow passengers at risk for my promised next morning flight back to the islands after having no access to soap and water for more than 15 to 28 ish hours. After all, there was a likelihood I still carried a scent of casino gin and tonics alongside the all so attractive smell of the last cheap airlines blanket aka creepy cloths. This seemed all so unfair for everyone involved.
The rate offered at the Custom House seemed absolutely too good to be true. I remained forever scared of the area entirely and felt my life lessons learned via the movie, Grand Canyon, were just enough to save me from myself, even though I've always wanted to meet Danny Glover.
Anyways... I further had flashbacks of motels once wandered or stumbled into after 36 some odd hours of straight driving in the 80s on old 66 that remain forever charred into my memories. However fond, the cheap rates were always the final call to actually, relieve the delirium of one's travels, in spite of what is clearly, another review entirely for places no longer existent.
I pondered if at my age now, my immune system would be strong enough to make it through just one more night of "sleep via cheap" or if my wrinkles and graying hair might some how leave me less resistant to plastic shower boxes. Fortunately for me, my eyesight is not as good as it was on those hippie roads trips, so I figured it best throw my glasses into my bag and let all be a blur. For the sake of sleep and smell, I had to venture forward in spite of myself.
With "Cheap and Sleep" required by me, and not much more than running water on the premises, The Custom House, is THAT kind of lure, exactly. Sleep and Cheap Required.
I had pictured in my mind, anticipation of satisfaction, should I had at least found myself in a cozy corner such as was in the off the beaten path bungalow thingy they had in the movie Rain Man.
Needless to say, I had extremely, low, low,low expectations. I found that having low expectations often keeps one from disappointment on our long roads less travelled. And in this case, it was a treasured surprise.
Personally, I define surprise, not like the kind when kids bust a piñata and the already expected cheap candies fly across the floor or the kind where your sister hinted 1000 times about the not going to have a birthday party that you already know about and pretend to be surprised at all the ridiculous looks on their faces when they scream surprise ; I mean the kind of real and genuine surprise. The kind that you rarely feel in life.
Kinda like if the piñata busted open and cool stuffed animals, dollar bills and puppets for everyone scattered about. THAT kind of surprise.
The good kind of surprise that is most often reserved for the very young and rarely found in life.
I travel too much. There isn't much of anywhere left in this country that I have not been. I am accustomed to getting what I pay for and more often than not, settling for much less than what I paid for while balancing it out in my mind with my desperation level at the time.
The Custom House was so inexpensive and off the main street of most LAX Hotels.
They are the very best most cherished little gem in the area.
I will never stay anywhere else while being jerked around by airlines with flight delays and cancellations. I will never pay a few hundred bucks for a cracker box cigarette smelling holiday type room on Century Blvd near LAX, ever again.
The staff, the location, the rooms, the security, the décor, the parking, the restaurants and grocery store nearby ; the impeccable cleanliness and outstanding safety ; the good looking and very hard working young people staffing the entire place ; the oddly strange but never boring new age type random art / décor found in sporadic places...All of it, quite rocks.
If you have been surprised by all the goodies falling on a floor when that other kid actually broke the pinata at your birthday parties, but never really "surprised surprised" for all the bulk cheap rate candies that you really got for all of that, then be refreshingly surprised for all things, never cheap and somehow, pleasantly complete, at the Custom House.
You can't lose staying here. And in the world today with all too much information and not a lot of follow through, that is a bet worth taking, every time.
When travelling though airports and sometimes feeling like Tom Hanks in the movie Terminal, getting stuck in perpetual airport domestic bliss and eventually dating a baggage claim employee, you can save yourself the torment of sleeping on a bench in LAX terminal, while also avoiding a rescue from car jackers by a Danny Glover in the movie Grand Canyon and stay at the Custom House. Somehow, knowing this will always bring me comfort.
(the only reason I didn't give five stars is because I reserve that fifth star for overly ridiculously expensive hotels with fantasy land views, fairy godmother imaginary staff and godiva pillow chocolates only worthy of Cameron Diaz in the movie The Counselor and I'm not sure why, but when spending a minimum of 3k a night... that fifth star goes there for some odd reason)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Sarah M
Las Rozas, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I choose this hotel for a weekend in LA because the usual hotels near the beaches were more than $250 per night and I didn't want to spend so much only for sleeping. That was a good choice at about $100. The hotel is good enough, the rooms were very clean and comfortable and it is close to airport although you cannot hear the noise. It is also well placed close to the beaches. The only thing I didn't like was that you were forced to use the valet service although the parking is next to the door. But close to the hotel is a supermarket parking where you can leave the car anyway for free. The service was very supportive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
seattle, washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

My family needed an airport hotel for just a night and this was great for that purpose. The shuttle was fantastic, the entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms were small but adequate, and the neighborhood was good for being so close to the airport.
The price was great (Comfort Inn range)and I did not expect such a cute little place for the price. If we didn't have kids with us, we would have had drinks and dinner at the hotel restaurant, as it looked pretty good.
I only rated it Very Good instead of Excellent because the wi-fi was a little slow and the room was smaller than perfect.
Still, I'd stay here again if needed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Petawawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I spent 5 night at this hotel last week, someone recommended to me and it was a good hotel overall. It very close to LAX but not enough to feel like you're in the terminal and I heard nothing in my room (I was on the 9). This hotel looked that it was updated but some of the material and choices for the rooms aren't the best. The rooms are ok and clean but like previous reviews the water pressure is low in the shower. I haven't use the restaurant in the hotel, there is too many good places in LA to try first. The location is very good to catch a flight, my departure was a breeze to LAX. As for a base location to visit LA, that's a good one. You have a grocery store next door and very close to drug store and other small ones. If you don't listen to your GPS during the traffic hrs (0700-0900 and 1600-1900) this is a excellent place to drive from. Use blvd and bigger streets instead of interstates and highways. Like the Lincoln blvd and the Santa Monica one. You are in a good location to see the west side easy and have beach time. For sure a rental car is a most for this hotel if you are on a short stay, the parking fees are 22$ a day and this is the average for hotels, some are more. During your visit you'll notice that parking isn't that cheap but if you check carefully you could get some locations with the first 90min free in Beverly Hill and Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with see view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We checked out today and must I say, I was truly satisfied! We got excellent service fromAnnie at the front desk and she matched our pricing from kayak. She truly made our experience great. I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends