“Nice place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was our first stay in the US for our road trip holiday and it was a very nice hotel. Very close to the airport and was only a short cab fare away from shopping and socialising areas. Staff were extremely friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable to stay in. Only slight moan was having to pay to park in the hotel $20, but then it appears to be the norm to charge you to park in US hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulib32
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hello, Paulin32:

Thank you very much for staying with us and for posting a review of your visit here on TripAdvisor.com! We truly appreciate it when guests provide us feedback about their experiences,mas it allows us the opportunity to address any concerns and also praise our hard-working team for a job well done.

We're so glad you chose Custom Hotel to start off your U.S. holiday. We're glad you found the service, cleanliness, value, location and comfort to exceed your expectations!

Regarding parking charges, most "big city" hotels (and especially those near major airports) tdo charge for parking. But in addition to full 24-hour professional valet service, we also maintain your vehicle in a secure lot. Street parking in the area is available, but the security of vehicles parked in this manner cannot be guaranteed. We also remind guests parking in this manner to observe any painted curbs or restrictive signage to avoid a citation or worse, a tow-away. You may also be interested to know that we frequently shop other hotels in the area to ensure our parking price-point is appropriate for our market. Believe it, or not - overnight parking at other LAX hotels may exceed $25/night.

We wish you safe onward travels and a great U.S. holiday. And, if your travels return you to Los Angeles again,,we'd love to have you as our guest!

Custom Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Nice hotel, very friendly and helpfull staff especially Tomas at reception. The most comfortable beds in LA.Room very neat and tidy. Nice and safe area.Best breakfast at KJ's Diner just around the corner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank ABRI B
Hello, ABRIB:

Thank you very much for your business and for posting such a flattering review of your visit here on TripAdvisor.com. We're so glad to read that every aspect of your experience exceeded your expectations! And, we're especially glad that you enjoyed the service you received from the hard-working Front Desk staff!

We invite you to return to Custom Hotel again the next time your business or leisure plans return you to Los Angeles.

OAKLAND
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is really trying to be something it's not!
The price, pictures and 3 star rating leads you to believe its a nice place and it is clean but not very good.
We had a small room with a view of the supermarket roof which was nasty.
The pool was warm but you needed to cross over the valet parking to get to it and it's not as chic as it wants to be.... and No Jacuzzi.
The Valet parking is mandatory at $20 a night which is not expected but then you are stuck, in less you want to park on the street somewhere, though the valet are all very nice and attentive I have to say.
The Long Term parking was $11 a night, not too bad.
We were only there 1 night but in the morning there was no hot water so we took cold showers.
When we complained to the front desk they comped us the $12 breakfast which was absolutely
disgusting and if I had paid for it I would have demanded my money back! there you go.
For the money, I can't think of a single reason I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MATTHEW A
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hello, MATTHEW A:

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post a review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com. Guest feedback is important to us, as it allows us to evaluate our product, service and operations and make necessary changes. Please allow me to apologize if your experience fell short of your expectations.

To begin, I apologize that you did not enjoy the view from your guestroom. I hope that had you looked beyond the roof of the adjoining supermarket, you would have enjoyed the sights and lights of neighboring LAX with the planes taking off and lit-up runways. Many of our guests enjoy this view. However, if you're not happy with your accommodations in any way, we encourage you to simply phone the front desk and we'd arrange a prompt transfer to another room. It would have been our pleasure to offer you a view towards nearby Marina del Rey with views (on a clear day) out to the Pacific Ocean.

In your review you mentioned your dissatisfaction regarding Valet Parking. We frequently check the parking rates of other hotels in our market (LAX) to ensure that our price point is in-line with our competition. Just as with any big city, there's very rarely complimentary parking. Although our Valet Service is available to guests for $20/night (tax inclusive, unlimited in-and-out-access), we happen to be situated in a great neighborhood with plenty of available street parking. So, for guests that are OK with walking a block or so back to the hotel, this is an option our competetors don't have. There is no street parking option at most LAX properties. We apologize if the fact that there was a cost to use valet parking caught you by surprise. We do our best to ensure guests booking through all channels are advised that there is a cost to use this optional service.

I wanted to also extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with hot water. During the morning of your departure, we did in fact have a technical glitch with our boiler system that resulted in a critical valve not operating as expected. Once brought to our attention, it was repaired within the hour and hot water was once-again flowing throughout the tower. We believe we've resolved the problem and we should not have a reoccurance. I was glad that our Front Desk staff acted quickly to issue you compenstation for the inconvenience, but I apologize that you found the breakfast to be less than adequate. I have communicated your concerns to our Food & Beverage Manager for his prompt review and follow-up.

In closing, I am confident that your experience with us (as evidenced by the literally hundreds of delighted guests in reviews prior to yours) was the exception and not the standard during this stay. We would love an opportunity to invite you back and win you over. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I may be of personal service. We'd love to turn this "ow" into a "WOW" on your next visit.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Check in was fast and friendly. Room was quirky and comfortable. Hair and face products were good quality and nice smelling. Free Wi-Fi was a bonus! Salad with goat cheese and Rock n Roll prawns at the in-house restaurant were delicious. Breakfast was a little pricey at $21, so I just walked next door to the supermarket and bought some museli and milk, which is all I need. It is only a 10-minute shuttle to the airport so this was perfect for my layover. Very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hello, DiscoQueen54:

Thank you so much for being such a loyal guest of Custom Hotel! We appreciate your business and your flattering review of your recent visit here on TripAdvisor.com! We thrive on guest feedback as we constantly look for new and inventive ways to improve our product and service. We simply could not maintain the high level of satisfaction our guests expect and deserve without feedback like yours.

We're so thrilled to read that you enjoyed each and every component of your experience: from the comfort and cleanliness of your guestroom, to the high quality amenities to your dining experience in DECK33, our signature restaurant. We're also so delighted to read how much you enjoyed the service from our friendly and outgoing staff.

We thank you for being our guest and look forward to being your choice hotel when your travels return you to Los Angeles.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We spend a very nice 12 day holiday at the Custom hotel at the start of Dec 2012. We got an amazing deal with Expedia.. The hotel was really good, very clean. The staff were very pleasant, although we didn't have much cause to interact with them. The front desk staff always had a nice "Have a good evening!" when they saw us coming in or going out at night.

The bedrooms are very well equiped, with a mini fridge you can use. And good TV system with both free TV and pay-per-view content. The beds are very comfortable, both my wife and I had no issues during our 12 night stay. The mood lighting is a bit annoying at night, well it was until we worked out where the off switch was.

With it being December we didn't use the pool area, although it looked very well kept and very inviting.

There are the usual fast food places nearby (subway, KFC, Taco Bel) if you need them. And a full supermarket (Ralphs) right next door.

The only down side is that although it's location is great if you have a car, very central (in LA you really do need a car to get around) the only parking option they have is the $20 a night valet parking. Which on a 12 day stay kind of racks up. It would be good if they had a self park option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, Stuart H:

Thank you very much for your business and for posting such an delightful review here on TripAdvisor.com. We truly appreciate it when valued guests leave feedback for us on social media. Hearing the voice of our customer allows us to constantly make improvements to our product, service and operations - and also highlight areas where we are performing well.

From your review, it appears you enjoyed every aspect of your experience with us. We thank you for providing us (and our TripAdvisor followers) with the highlights of your visit and guestroom amenities.

We apologize that you found the quirky LED mood lighting disruptive. Many of our guests enjoy the ability to set the mood of their guestroom with this unique features. But, once you've had enough or are ready to call it a night, they can be simply turned off with the power switch in the windowsil.

In your review, you mentioned how much you enjoyed that the hotel was situated in a great neighborhood with lots of restaurants within walking distance. In addition, there's a grocery store with a deli, a diner, a variety of International restaurants, a park, a golf course, a bowling alley, convenient access to public transportation (to access downtown, Hollywood and some of LA's best beaches) and more.

Finally, regarding your comments about parking, we only offer valet parking at this time for our guests. We frequently shop the market to ensure our parking prices are in line with our competition. Near Los Angeles International Airport there's very little complimentary parking. And, our rates are (believe it, or not) lower than the average hotel parking which can exceed $25/night. However, we (unlike our competition) are positioned in a great neighborhood with lots of complimentary street parking available. We caution guests who wish to park in this manner to observe all painted curbs and posted signage to ensure they don't receive a citation or worse, a tow-away. However, street parking is always an option if you're OK walking a block or two to get back to the hotel.

In closing, we're so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel very soon.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 16, 2012

First and Last: loved my stay at the Custom. When I resonate to a brand I am very loyal like Apple and the Joie de Vivre Hotels bring the soul back into travel. This time stayed at the Custom was fun and satisfying. The staff responsive especially the valet, always quick and helpful as a single older woman, I needed this experience. Having had surgery and far from home I felt cared for while providing the ambience I love the joie de Vivre so much for. All the quirks from the black leather like drawers to the platform bed are like mini adventures.

I like the contemporary design and even thought you can tell even though its a redo of an older hotel much prefer it than the more corp feel of typical hotels down the street. The res food was very good and a cool place to hang out. Service good be better, the servers dropped the ball a few times. I agree with one review about breakfast. Worth 6$ as is. Just tweak a bit new toaster too slow, presentation maybe farm local jazz it up for 12$. Coffee was good. I wish I had known Ralph's was right next door. But now I know saw it on last day so when I return in April, yes can't wait to come back, I will know. I loved the location just perfect city feel and trees out the window yet right next to airport.

I like being waited on so liked the valet service, called the front desk many times and each time very responsive. I have stayed at Shorebreak in Huntington Beach and Ervin in Venice so far there both were great but there was something about the Custom that stands out besides the price is super. Because I like the overall experience I overlooked older bathroom and out side closet rack which for me is saying a lot. I am telling everyone a soulful 5 stars in a seemingly soulless world. Thanks joie de vivre if you make it better and better you will only not influence the hotel business you will make my return that much more fun and joyful. And I like ikea for what it's worth.

Room Tip: Was on 12th floor use the flight Room to wait for flight. Late check out if need be @ 4 PM. View f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hello, bonvivant9999:

On behalf of the entire staff and management here at Custom Hotel, thank you so much for being our recent guest and for posting such a flattering and in-depth review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com.

We thrive on guest feedback as it allows us to evaluate where we are in respect to service and operations and make directional changes when necessary. It was so great to read that you're loyal to the Joie de Vivre Brand! You'll be excited to know that we've merged with Thompson Hotels and (under the umbrella of Commune Hotels & Resorts) will be expanding the brand across the United States, into Hawaii and Internationally as well. We're so glad you enjoy our unique, one-of-a-kind hotels and all of the quirky and uncommon amenities JdV Hotels are known for.

We''re so glad to read that you appreciate the minimalist and slightly European feel of our guestrooms. While not a perfect fit for all travelers, most of our guests tell us time-and-time again that they appreciate "simple" rooms instead of those at the mainstream hotels that build unwanted and unnecessary "bells and whistles" into overpriced room rates. We're pleased that you found the hotel to be a great value!

Regarding your feedback with our Breakfast Buffet, I wanted to ensure you that your feedback did not go unnoticed. I've shared your concerns with our Food & Beverage manager and we're strategizing improvements to the offerings to ensure the best possible breakfast experience moving forward.

In closing, thank you once again for pointing-out the great service you received from our staff including the hard-working Valet team. It's great to hear when our team delivers "knock-your-socks-off" service and I'll be certain to pass along credit where credit is due.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return you to Los Angeles. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I may be of personal service.

Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We travel very often back and forwards from Curacao to Los Angeles sice our son is living in San Diego.
So any time we have a 2 night lay-over at the Custom.
Since day one (4 yrs agao I think) we have been staying there, it improved quite a bit since the first time, and we definitely like it.
Convenient, nce restaurants around, Ralph's supermarket and the rapid bus towards Santa Monica.
Nice people recognize you and even remember that we are from Curacao (not many people know the Island).
Keep up the good service and work.

Room Tip: This time we have room 520, a nice corner room. Advisable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, yvonne w:

Thank you very much for being our super-loyal guest and for posting such a flattering review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com. We appreciate guest feedback as it allows to ensure we're delivering superior product and service at all times (and address concerns should things fall short of expectations!)

We're delighted to read that you found all components of your experience to exceed your expectations. From the value you received to the hotel's location, comfort, cleanliness and service - all appeared to truly delight you.

Also, thanks for recognizing the Front Desk team for remembering you on each and every return! We do our best to create personal relationships with each and every guest, a trait not necessarily found at the mainstream "box" hotels and we love to make our loyal guests feel as if they're staying in a "home-away-from-home" instead of a hotel. We find that this approach eases the hassle of travel and makes our guests feel much more comfortable.

We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back many, many times again.