“Pet-friendly, airport-friendly, guest-friends, and just plain friendly”
Review of Custom Hotel

Ranked #223 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Branford, Connecticut
“Pet-friendly, airport-friendly, guest-friends, and just plain friendly”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Booked the Custom for one extra night after a 5 day stay downtown for a converntion. Originally, I sought the hotel for its convenience to the airport, but I was preasanftly surprised by the hotel itself. Convenient to the airport, without being an "Airport Hotel" (although it's 60's aeronautical theme is fun and stylish). In a great little area, convenient to the beach (I walked, but it's a good walk to the beach) and tto he bus. Friendly and knowledgable staff. Helped with early check-in, and bag storage, and other pitfalls of the attempt at a last day to myself at the end of business travel. Obviously my dogs weren't traveling with me this time, but knowing the hotel is pet friendly means that the next time I go to LA for myself, I know I can bring them along.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room. I had a Basic Queen, and it was well-appointed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IanScott76
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Hello, IanScott76:

On behalf of the entire staff and management at Custom Hotel, thank you so much for being our guest and for posting such a flattering review of your recent expereince with us on TripAdvisor.com!

We're thrilled that you discovered us on a whim and that we exceeded your expectations on all accounts! We're delighted to read that you found the hotel appropriately priced, conveniently located, comfortable, clean and that you enjoyed better-than-expected service from our staff. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and bring a welcoming end to your business trip.

We look forward to welcoming you (and your dogs) to Custom the next time you're in the LAX area! Oh, and if you want to get to the beaches (Venice & Santa Monica) faster than the 'shoolace express', the Blue #3 city bus runs approximately every 20 minutes from a stop located just across the street from the hotel. Just $1.00 [exact change required] each way.

Custom Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Palm Springs
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel caters to folks who need to be near the airport (LAX). It's in a nice neighborhood with a supermarket and a bowling alley next door. I was on the sixth floor with a decent view of the LA area. I think you can see the ocean from the other side (East) of the building. My room was spacious with a comfortable bed. Mini fridge and expensive water (hotel prices). With a supermarket next door, you can get more bottled water for less. I really liked the massage chairs in the lounge on the 12th floor. They are free of charge and just the thing you need after a long flight. Staff were all friendly helpful. Place is clean. I had my own car, and had to park on a nearby street. Front desk warned not to park at the supermarket as you will get towed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank josch1122
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Hello, josch1122:

Thank you very much for being our guest and for posting such a flattering review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! We are passionate about product and service and guest feedback is critical to ensure we're moving in the right direction!

We're pleased that you found the hotel clean, comfortable, conveniently located, an excellent value and, most of all, that the service you received from our staff exceeded your expectations. I've passed along your kind words to the hard-working staff for their review.

We're glad that you enjoyed our deluxue accommodations. In the future, for as little as just $20/night more, we encourage you to endulge in our "Elevated" rooms. These rooms feature all of the amenities you enjoyed in our deluxe rooms with some added items such as coffee makers, full-size ironing boards, bathrobes, slippers, outstanding city skyline views and access to our exclusive social lounges. They're well-worth the upgrade!

And great advice you gave to other travelers in your review about parking. While the hotel does offer valet parking for just $20/night (unlimited in/out, tax inclusive), street parking is the only other viable parking option. Parking in the nearby retail areas (posted as 2 Hour Parking) could result in a ticket or worse, a tow. If our guests do elect to park on the street, we encourage them to ensure they check signage and painted curbs to ensure they're parking legally.

In closing, thank you very much for staying with us and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel very soon.

San Jose, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I arrived on my birthday being separated from lived ones due to travel & had airlines lose my luggage (of course) upon checking in The Manager I want to say Meagan but not sure if that's her name but she saw it was my bday & saw I was a little down,she asked me to have a seat they were going to upgrade me to a top floor with a view of L.A.but needed to make sure the room was clean & ready! I was THRILLED! A few minutes later she came & got me I walked into the room & they had brought up my luggage then I look on the bed & there's a "Happy Bday bag" full of goodies & a box of sugar cookies (my fav btw) along with a card! I had tears in my eyes it was so very thoughtful & TOTALLY UNEXPECTED!!! she also comped me a cocktail ;).. I cannot say enough abt the great customer service NOW Be prepared this is a Very MODERN Hotel & the pool area has cabanas almost like Vegas but very nice! The rooms are small & beds are LOW European like..I didn't mind I just thought people may be taken aback,it took a little getting used to! Overall I'll ALWAYS recommend this hotel & be a repeat customer! Thx for the GREAT HOSPITALITY!!

• Stayed May 2012
Daniel H, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Hello, Wingslvr76:

On behalf of all of us at Custom Hotel, thank you so much for being our valued guest and for posting such a flattering review of your visit here on TripAdvisor.com! Guest feedback is important to us as it allows us to evaluate our service and operations and make changes when necessary. It sounds from your review like we hit the nail on the head!

We're delighted to read that our Front Desk staff took the initaitve to recongnize your special day with some unexpected treats! (A little birdie told us that you were partial to the sugar cookies!) We're also glad you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade!

It's so nice to hear when guests experience better-than-expected guest service! We pride ourselves on our people and it's heartwarming to hear when they make such a positive impact on a guest's stay.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Custom Hotel the next time your business or leisure plans return you to the Los Angeles area!

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Very convenient for the airport; we stayed one night before picking up our car for the drive up the Big Sur. Modern clean room, lots of choice of places to eat nearby and good shuttle to / from airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikezw
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Hello, mikezw:

Thank you very much for being our guest and for your extremely flattering review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! Guest feedback is extremely important to us as we continue to improve our product, service and overall experience! We're elated to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your experience with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Custom Hotel the next time your travels return you to the Los Angeles area!

Eureka, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Convenient, clean, easy access. Great staff and valet's who remember you. Sheets and bed are
quite comfy. More like a European hotel than the average domestic hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Eurekean
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Hello, Eurekean:

Thank you very much for your business and for posting such a wonderful review of your experience here on TripAdvisor.com! We appreciate guest feedback as we continue to improve the product. It's so great to know when we're doing things right!

We're delighted to read that you enjoyed virtually every aspect of your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back to Custom the next time your travels return you to Los Angeles!

East Yorkshire
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel was lovely, we used it as a one night stop off either end of our holiday for the convenience of the airport. on our first stay we were in one of their basic rooms and they are very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Ideally we would have liked a coffee machine in our rooms but on one of the floors there is a vending machine that sells drinks.
On our return visit we were upgraded which was unexpected but appreciated! Walking into our suite we were shocked at the size and having been in 9 other hotels this holiday it was a great way to end the holiday in a large relaxing space! The 12th floor has lovely suites, we had two spacious bedrooms, a large living room with a connecting dining area with views over the airport and local park.
The hotel bar in quaint with a pool below and i'm sure that if you stayed for several nights then it would be a great place to just relax by the pool. The bar menu is small but what you get is still nice. There are other places to eat in the area but other than a couple of stores there is not much else. The staff were friendly and helpful and even said that unless you drive there is not much to do in the area if you're on foot. As we'd been touring California with visits to Arizona and Nevada, by the last day we just wanted to give the car a rest so we relaxed at the bar and at the park before heading to the airport!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Becks18
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Hello, Becks18:

Thank you very much for being our guest not only once but twice in recent weeks! We're thrilled to have you as our loyal guest and we're glad to be one of the first and last stops on your holiday. We're so glad that you found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and well-appointed. We're also glad to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy our two-bedroom suite during the final night of your stay!

While the hotel is situated in a clean, safe neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and a handful of shops, the best attractions including shopping and beaches are just a short drive away. I'm glad to read that our staff pointed you in the right direction to all of these great attractions.

In closing, we're so glad you had a relaxing visit and we do hope that if your travels return you to Los Angeles, you'll visit us again.

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I frequent the LAX area quite often. On this short stay, I decided to bring my wife and 100 pound German Shepherd along. We were so pleased to find out Custom didn't have any weight and breed restrictions or extra fees. Upon check-in, the manager noticed my wife patiently waiting with the dog on a nearby couch in the lobby. He greeted her (and him) with a pet welcome-bag full of all kinds of doggy goodies! We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. With no extra pet fees, it made paying the $20 for valet an easy decision. Thank you Custom Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SLOTraveler11
, Front Office Manager at Custom Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Hello, SLOTraveler11:

We'd like to extend a special thanks to you, your wife and your adorable pooch for being our guests at Custom Hotel! We love our four-legged friends (and their humans) and it's our pleasure to extend our hospitality to all of you! We're proud to be one of the most pet-friendliest hotels in the LAX area, with - as you stated in your review - no fees nor any size or breed restrictions and free goodies at check-in! We work hard to keep our 'pet-friendly' floor in immaculate condition at all times.

For other guests traveling to Custom with pets, we only have three little 'rules' regarding guests with pets:
1) Advise us that you have a pet with you at check-in.
2) Always keep the pet on-leash while on hotel property.
And, 3) Never leave your pet unattended in your guestroom. (We have pet-sitting services available, if needed.)

In closing, thanks for being our guest and for posting such a flattering review of your experience on TripAdvisor.com! We appreciate your loyalty and hope to be your first choice when the three of you are back in the Los Angeles area in the near future!