“Hollywood glamour is gone”
Review of Hollywood

Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Half Day Hollywood and Beverly Hills Tour
Reviewed August 28, 2013

No doubt the worst place we visited on our recent trip. It's dirty, filled with homeless people and meth heads. The famed Chinese Theatre and Walk of Fame is just a battleground of idiots wanting your money. I had to physically pull my son away from a possible confrontation from some gangster rapper dude who pushed a CD into his hand and then demanded money. Where are the police? I can't image what this place is like after dark. Oh yeah, parking $2.50 every 10 minutes and a nearby parkade. On the brighter side we drove through some of the hilly neighbourhoods admiring the views and the homes, just stay away from the garbage that is Hollywood Blvd.

4  Thank alhan10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)
All reviews
"universal studios"
in 13 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I’ve lived in LA for a long time but hadn’t been out of my car in Hollywood for a long time until I attended a recent event at the Egyptian Theater on a Saturday afternoon. I parked at Hollywood & Highland (great view of the Hollywood sign) and walked around there for a bit before heading down Hollywood Blvd. Yes, there are people dressed as various characters that will pose for pics for money, street performers, homeless people, Scientologists offering a free “personality test” (just say no), people hawking tours, etc. The nicer areas of Hollywood Blvd are Highland west to La Brea. This is where Hollywood & Highland is located as well as the Chinese Theater, the Roosevelt Hotel, Musso & Frank (wonderful restaurant with a great Hollywood history), and the El Capitan Theater. The farther east you go, the grittier it gets. Yes, there are some restaurants I wouldn’t go to, but there are some decent ones as well. I ate at Jameson’s an Irish Pub across from the Egyptian and it the food and service were good (big beer selection too). Lots of cheap souvenir stores – to be expected in a tourist area.

Hollywood is definitely in better shape than it was in the 90s, but LA is a big city with all of the pros and cons that entails. There are a lot of homeless folks, some who are a bit nuts (also nuts who aren’t homeless). The police presence is good – a lot of bicycle patrols. You need to be aware of your surroundings, etc. There are always criminals looking for opportunities to pick pockets and all – but that’s all over, not just Hollywood. I’m a petite female and I’m not afraid in Hollywood – but I take common sense precautions.

Having said all of that, I’m not sure what people expect Hollywood to be like. I’ve seen old video clips from the 40s and it’s cleaner and there are shops and such, but it’s not wall to wall celebrities. There used to be more studios in Hollywood, and there were the movie premieres at the theaters (still are). The Roosevelt Hotel and Musso and Frank were celebrity hang outs of a sort. It’s interesting, especially if you like film history, but it’s not glamorous.

3  Thank Koda
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Hollywood Blvd is worth a visit .Then leave quiclkly before it gets dark .The area around the historical theatres ( Chinese /Egyptian )
as well as the hand prints/stars are worth seeing .There really is history to be experienced here .It is a shame that the city does not see fit to have the streets cleaned and the cops enforce loitering laws to move the street people along .The costumed characters are a step below the homeless population in the area The homeless may be asking for money and wallowing in their own stank but at least they are not confrontational and demanding like the costumed characters in the area .Don't dare take a photo of a character without remitting payment .They will chase you down .I watched Elmo get crazy backed up by the Cookie Monster .Superman just stood there ...doing nothing .It was sad .

1  Thank tomchuck19
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place is certainly not glitzy, in fact I would say it is a downright awful area, with only Hollywood boulevard being slightly flashy. The rest of the area is run down with either closed shops/restaurants or poor quality ones. I was astonished as I believed the hype and did not believe the comments of others who have visited this severely run down place. Coming here after staying in Beverley Hills, you wonder if you took a wrong turn somewhere and landed in a bad end of town! People talk about going to Hollywood to make it big, well they certainly are not talking about the area!!!!

2  Thank DMyers148