New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of InterContinental Los Angeles Century City

InterContinental Los Angeles Century City
Ranked #18 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
Redwood City, California
“Above average, but not quite very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went to LA for the weekend, and rather than staying at the usual spots, decided to see what deals I could find through Priceline's Hotel Pro application on my iOS device. I was given a price and shown the 4 or 5 hotels it would most likely be, and decided to pull the trigger and see what I got. I was immediately booked into the Intercontinental, and was happy about the choice, as I had previously stayed here before when it was the Park Hyatt years ago, and really enjoy the Intercontinental in San Francisco.

When we arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised at the luxury of the lobby, bar, and lounge areas. There was a wedding reception going on, so there was music playing loudly from that side of the lobby, but besides that, the valet service was fast, and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Disappointment set in after that.

As we got to the elevators, we noticed that the elevators did not have the polish that the lobby did - the wood was worn, and there were noticeable blemishes and scratches throughout. We made our way up to our floor and as soon as the elevator doors opened, was immediately hit by a wave of stale cigarette smoke. Thinking it was an overzealous wedding attendee that had to have a smoke in the room, we proceeded down the twisty hallway to our room, only to find that the entire floor smelled the same way. It was like being in an old Reno hotel (Vegas hotels are much better at covering smoke these days). Once we got into the room, there was another smell, like a carpet cleaner that was too strong. As my fiance is very sensitive to smells, we immediately called down to the front desk to see if we could get a room change.

When we went downstairs to talk to the front desk, they were very gracious, but tried putting us into a room on the same floor as that was the only floor with a king sized bed available (really?). We accepted a room with 2 full beds instead and immediately were issued new keys and a new room.

On the way up, I was expecting the same experience, but as soon as we got to the floor, it had absolutely no noticeable scent. The room turned out to be an upgrade as there was a small office space that was separated from the room completely, but the room fixtures and furniture were all very old and outdated. The bathroom was alright, but could have been more brightly lit. Although there were no smells on this floor, the hallway did have some painters tape in certain spots holding wallpaper up, which was odd.

The bed was comfortable, and each room has a k-cup machine which was nice. There is a 32" LCD tv which is fine, but many hotels have larger screens these days. Called housekeeping to get some extra shampoo but they never came, which was a strike against housekeeping.

Overall, the stay was good - valet service was fast and the staff was polite. The location is good - you can avoid the 10 freeway by taking Pico or Olympic towards downtown, and you're within walking distance to the Westfield Century City Mall. There are great restaurants within walking distance and the hotel has a pool and spa (but I didn't indulge this time). Would I come back? Sure, if I get the same price again, but I wouldn't pay the rack rates or special rates on the website - check for deals - and hopefully the hotel will go through a full renovation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was my second time staying here, this time for pleasure. I got a great price on a king deluxe suite and the room was very nice. The suite itself was great, plenty of room and very comfy. Yes, if you want to be very picky the rooms need to be updated a little but nothing bad. The bathroom and bedroom were in great shape with newer furniture. The only bad thing that caught my eye was the baseboards need to be replaced. The service was great, as expected from an Intercon property. Yes, valet is $38, but that is about standard anywhere in LA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I made the mistake to book a two week business stay at this horrible establishment. Despite its lobby and the plush outlook, this is only the "window" to old and neglected interiors, even in the suite I was upgraded to. Everything was falling apart, stains on the carpet, a bathroom designed in the sixties and the brilliant idea of installing the noisy minibar in the bedroom, so you won't be able to sleep. The magnificent view of a vacant parking lot, stained my memory for weeks. Equally depressing was the bare balcony with terribly aging and drab garden furniture. The room service I used frequently (as a writer I stayed in working) is rudimentary and fit for a motel. But the quintessence of rudeness was displayed by a bell boy who brought my luggage down at check-out. I handed him a $5 note which he regarded with disgust, never said "thank you," then he pointed at the valet who had brought my car and said "aren't you going to tip this guy?"
If you like motel-style operations masquerading as four star hotels, book your next stay at the Intercontinental, Los Angeles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nico M
OperationsLAXHA, Dir of Room Operations at InterContinental Los Angeles Century City, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Nico M.,
I would like the opportunity to discuss with you your recent stay at our Hotel. We welcome all of our guests feedback in an effort to improve. The ability to provide premium levels of service is one we take great pride in. I want to assure you this matter is taken seriously and has been shared with the Executive Office. I sent you a private message to contact me directly. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dir of Room Operations
Auckland NZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

A very nice hotel but in need of a refurbishment. The entrance and ground floor areas were very inviting but unfortunately the hallways to the rooms are dim and dull, -- a repaint and paper would certainly brighten it up. The AirCon unit in the room was so noisy that we were unable to keep it on at night otherwise we wouldn't have slept well especially with the fridge being loud as well, it was a good job that the bed was comfortable. The Ice Machine on our floor didn't work so had to travel to other floors to obtain some - inconvenient and thats even after we reported the fault.
The courtesy limo was a great asset, especially for Century City shopping. The staff were superb, very informative and helpful. The restaurant and lobby bar were both enjoyable.
If the Hotel was modernized and updated I'm sure it would make a vast difference and attract lots of guest as it's in a good location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TrishalAucklandNZ,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very happy to read you had a great first impression of our lobby and enjoyed the professionalism, courtesy, and friendliness of our staff. It's typically the personal touches extended by our staff that makes our guests feel this is their home away from home. We strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I'm happy to inform you the guestrooms will receive a Room Refresh this calendar year and we are in-progress of revamping the motors of our air condition units. On your next visit from New Zealand, I invite you to return to enjoy the beautiful InterContinental Los Angeles.

Dir of Room Operations
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The location of hotel is very good, in a very beautiful avenue. The reception and concierge staff are very attentive. The valet parking service is also very efficient, though a little expensive. The rooms are not so spacious but comfortable. I recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I like the InterContinental Brand. A little bland, but you know what you're going to get: Very good service, spacious rooms, comfortable bed, business services, restaurants--all to standard.

This property does not disappoint. And it's in a really good location if you're visiting West LA for business or pleasure.

Downside? Outrageous parking fees. But, that's par for the course in LA (except, curiously, for the Angeleno, which is a good choice.)

Still, for business or vacation, this is a good choice.

If you want super-luxury, go either to Santa Monica (like Shutters) or Beverly Hills (L'Ermitage or Beverly Hills Hotel).

If you want LA history and young hipster celebrity culture, choose one of the properties like my personal favorite, Chateau Marmont. If you want something cheaper but still uber-hip, try The Standard.

But if you want a place that will deliver a very good experience in a good West LA location, and you don't want to pay the premium you'd spend for those other properties, InterContinental Century City is a fantastic choice and--if you're prepared for jaw-dropping parking fees--you will have a fantastic stay.

Oh, and in defense of the parking fees--not that there is a real defense--but each time I called for my car, and I called many times during my stay here, it was ready by the time I made it down from my room. I've never experienced that level of valet service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EternalVagabond25
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Got it for 150 plus taxes on a bidding site. Every room has a balcony that is most certainly a plus. Location is ok you would have to drive or cab anywhere. But I think that applies to anywhere in the LA area. I liked the hotel, parking was 30 plus a night, retrieving cars if you call ahead is quick, car was always there when I got down. Compared to 60 plus in SF I was not too bothered with the charge the staff was also pleasant enough and not have attitudes like the ones in my SF hotel. So I say go for it if you have a good rate.

• Stayed February 2013
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Westside
W Los Angeles - West Beverly Hills

Been to InterContinental Los Angeles Century City? Share your experiences!