Went to LA for the weekend, and rather than staying at the usual spots, decided to see what deals I could find through Priceline's Hotel Pro application on my iOS device. I was given a price and shown the 4 or 5 hotels it would most likely be, and decided to pull the trigger and see what I got. I was immediately booked into the Intercontinental, and was happy about the choice, as I had previously stayed here before when it was the Park Hyatt years ago, and really enjoy the Intercontinental in San Francisco.
When we arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised at the luxury of the lobby, bar, and lounge areas. There was a wedding reception going on, so there was music playing loudly from that side of the lobby, but besides that, the valet service was fast, and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Disappointment set in after that.
As we got to the elevators, we noticed that the elevators did not have the polish that the lobby did - the wood was worn, and there were noticeable blemishes and scratches throughout. We made our way up to our floor and as soon as the elevator doors opened, was immediately hit by a wave of stale cigarette smoke. Thinking it was an overzealous wedding attendee that had to have a smoke in the room, we proceeded down the twisty hallway to our room, only to find that the entire floor smelled the same way. It was like being in an old Reno hotel (Vegas hotels are much better at covering smoke these days). Once we got into the room, there was another smell, like a carpet cleaner that was too strong. As my fiance is very sensitive to smells, we immediately called down to the front desk to see if we could get a room change.
When we went downstairs to talk to the front desk, they were very gracious, but tried putting us into a room on the same floor as that was the only floor with a king sized bed available (really?). We accepted a room with 2 full beds instead and immediately were issued new keys and a new room.
On the way up, I was expecting the same experience, but as soon as we got to the floor, it had absolutely no noticeable scent. The room turned out to be an upgrade as there was a small office space that was separated from the room completely, but the room fixtures and furniture were all very old and outdated. The bathroom was alright, but could have been more brightly lit. Although there were no smells on this floor, the hallway did have some painters tape in certain spots holding wallpaper up, which was odd.
The bed was comfortable, and each room has a k-cup machine which was nice. There is a 32" LCD tv which is fine, but many hotels have larger screens these days. Called housekeeping to get some extra shampoo but they never came, which was a strike against housekeeping.
Overall, the stay was good - valet service was fast and the staff was polite. The location is good - you can avoid the 10 freeway by taking Pico or Olympic towards downtown, and you're within walking distance to the Westfield Century City Mall. There are great restaurants within walking distance and the hotel has a pool and spa (but I didn't indulge this time). Would I come back? Sure, if I get the same price again, but I wouldn't pay the rack rates or special rates on the website - check for deals - and hopefully the hotel will go through a full renovation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Los Angeles Century City is a taste of true Hollywood style. Our convenient Westside address is within walking distance of 20th Century Fox Studios, MGM Tower, Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive and upscale shopping at Westfield Century City. A quick drive will take you to the Getty Center, Los Angeles city centre, UCLA or the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, IHG and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Los Angeles Century City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Los Angeles Century City Hotel Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Intercontinental