“Nice place...not that close to Universal Studios”

Comfort Inn & Suites Near Universal - N. Hollywood - Burbank
Ranked #132 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Michigan
“Nice place...not that close to Universal Studios”
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I've always had good experiences with Comfort Hotels and this property is no exception. Overall, the place is nice. Nice large rooms. Clean. Fluffy bed and pillows. New linens. Big clean bathroom. We had a King suite which comes with a sleeper sofa, fridge and microwave. Breakfast room was nice. Zenny, the Filipina attendant was there for several mornings and looked after us very well. Maraming salamat po Zenny! The whole staff was friendly and helpful. The location is okay. Nothing stellar, so actually the Comfort Hotel is a bit of an oasis in an otherwise regulat neighborhood. Parking is all fully covered and there is a fulltime attendant. Univeral Studios is actually 3.9 miles away...so not exactly down the road, but overall convenient to the freeways and for all access to SoCal.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kebud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 19, 2009

HOTEL REVIEW # 163 Residence Inn Sacramento

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name). Clearly this hotel is not in this category but it may be one of the best in the valley.

LOCATION: Many restaurants around althought the area is a bit sketchy at night. Close access to the freeway.

TYPE OF ROOM: Junior suite.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW; Soft but not luxurious. Everything was better than average but nothing special. Pillows were nice, soft down.

LIGHTING: Lighting in room could have been brighter. Bathroom is good.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Shower has curved curtain rod so the curtain doesnt stick to your leg.... a big plus. Water pressure was low to medium. Bathroom was well appointed for the price of the room

TOILETRIES: Fine but nothing special.

CLEANLINESS: .Room and hotel was spotless.

A/C: Never used.

CLOSET SPACE: Good amount of space but probably too small for 2 people to unpack most items

STYLE OF ROOM: Comfortable but lacking style. Carpet on the floors.

COMMON AREA: Not a place to hang out. Just check in and eat breakfast.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Our room was quiet although we could hear noises from a house next door. All morning sunlight could be blocked with the curtain

FOOD: Breakfast is included and there is a choice of 4 cereals, waffles, juices, toasts.

TV/INTERNET: .TV is tube style and has many channels. Internet is wired and wireless at n/c and is fast.

SERVICE:. Staff were over the top nice. Very impressed for the low price of this hotel

SUMMARY: If you need to be in this area, this is probably the best choice for quiet, comfort, and convenience. Be sure to try out one of the best sushi restaurants in LA that is just a 5 minute drive away called Chiba (and I am super picky and dislike nearly all sushi restaurants). I recommend staying at this hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelSnob1
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We just got back from a 2 week stay at this Comfort Suites. We needed to be in or near Burbank and we researched hotels thoroughly in and near the Burbank area. (It is also close to Studio City).

This Trip Advisor site had many excellent reviews of this hotel with only one real negative sited in many of the reviews and that was the parking situation. Well the parking problem has been worked out. They have an efficient system worked out if there are many cars, and it works like a valet system. We had no problems at all.

The room was great, although we had to look at about 3 rooms before we took the one we took, as the others either smelled of smoke or had no screen on the window. In the end the room we had was perfect, except for not having quite enough lighting (more lamps or more overhead lighting is needed and a night light is also needed). We just moved a lamp that was on the desk to another area and it worked for us. The room was spacious, the bed perfect , in terms of comfort and size, the TV was fine and the bathroom was super. The hotel and it's surroundings were quiet, so sleeping was fine.

The breakfast was adequate, but being there for 2 weeks, it did become repetitive,howeve,the quantity of fresh fruit that was available all day every day was something we had never seen before. Also, there is a grocery store across the street and others not too far away so that you can buy additional breakfast food, or whatever, and put it in your room refrigerator. Every room comes with a refrigerator and microwave. The hotel is near the art district of NOHO and there are a lot of alternatives for eating in the area. One that we recommend highly for breakfast, if you want to leave and eat out is a little restaurant on Magnolia Street called EAT!!! For lunch try the Pit Fire restaurant right on Lankershim.

The staff at the hotel was very polite and helpful and in particular, we were pleasantly surprised with the friendliness of the cleaning staff.

The hotel is nicely located; very close to the Metro, if one wants to use it. It's also close to Universal, Warner Brothers, and the NBC studios. The ABC and Walt Disney studios are not too far either

.We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tphobe
babygirl96
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Well I took my 7 year old to universal studios for her birthday me and a girl friend, we made it a road trip, we got to the hotel at 9:00pm after a long day at universal studios (with 2 kids) the clerk was very nice (lobby was nice ) room was big, bathroom was huge and very nice we both had forgot toothpaste and called down and the front desk gave us a trial size for free.Bed was very comfortable and we had lots of pillows.
Breakfast was very good waffles & eggs & cereal & bagels and Danish coffee and juice it was very good.
We did not use pool and did not look like any one had but they still had someone cleaning the pool.
Hotel was very nice and ok location we had no problems and I am very picky.
Will be back next year!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — parking garage
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank babygirl96
California
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Okay first lets get the negative comments out of the way. For the price, the hotel should have had a microwave and/or refrigerator. Their pool (which we did not use) is located in an unusual place to say the least. Our window did not have a screen. We asked the clerk if it was safe to leave it open at night and he said he would not recommend it because *theoretically"* someone could climb up or down to the overhang and well, you get the idea.
Having said that, the hotel was great for the price--many places in LA worth more than this one are dumps, and almost all under $100 seem to be. The staff was very helpful (a couple were not all that helpful but tried to be), and the room was nice. Their free computer with internet access in the lobby area was a bonus (kind of slow, but how many motels even offer this service); I used it a few times for information. We had no parking issues as some have raised. Perhaps we were there at a slow week but there were plenty of spaces available.
The neighborhood felt safe to us. I don't know how some posters here define safe, but there are far worse neighborhoods in Hollywood and I have stayed in much less safer-feeling areas before. I only saw one instance of what I assume was crime-related (one evening, a helicopter flying a few blocks from the hotel shining a spotlight on the ground) A great supermarket was conveniently located across the street which I went to every night for cooler ice.
The best thing about the hotel was their continental breakfast. They had a lot of choices, of which I tried most in 4 mornings, and all the food was fresh and good. Loved the waffle-maker! Why can't more hotels/motels have breakfast that is more than a piece of fruit and plain toast.
Very good hotel overall.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Humboldtus
Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I was planning a trip with my boyfriend to see a concert in Hollywood, CA, when we saw a great offer through AAA for $85 a night online! And shortly after arriving, we quickly saw why. From the brand name, we had already been expecting 2-3 diamond standard service - which was fine with us. We weren't planning to spend a majority of our time at the resort. There are a couple things that should change though if they haven't already!

Being that I work at a resort myself, I'm very careful to use my debit card to hold a reservation - I only did so after calling the property directly to confirm no deposit would be taken, which they confirmed. Upon arriving, I told the front desk agent I would like to use a different card than the one I used to hold the reservation with, which he said was fine. I signed the registration form with the new credit card information. Upon getting to my room, I called both my credit card used and debit card to check the balances on both - I had over $250 holding on both cards! I'm very aware that additional money is usually held for parking, resort fees, incidentals, etc - but I had specifically asked for my debit card not to be charged! I walked back to the front desk and asked for them to reverse the charge, which the agent said he had already done - and that it's up to the bank now to release it. Again, I work at a front desk myself - after asking him to please call the authorization center and to reverse the authorization using his merchant number, he said he couldn't do it and that only a manager could - and the next manager wouldn't be there until the day of my departure. This was a horrible start to 3 days, since the money in my checking was what I would be using for food, recreation etc. Had it been held only on the debit card, I would have used my credit card - but he was holding both! That's near $500 I couldn't use! I told him he should do his best to fix it himself or to call his manager, as I wouldn't be paying for his mistake.

Shortly after we had settled in and unpacked everything, the fire alarm system went off. Assuming it could be serious, we picked up everything we could grab (after just unpacking it) and ran down the stairs. We were stuck outside of the hotel for roughly 45 minutes before it was clear to go back in.

We went to the concert that evening, and came back to find there were no parking spaces available. This upset me because we're paying for daily parking, and either 1) there aren't enough spaces to accomodate all guests, or 2) someone is bringining additional cars, which hurts both the employees and the guests. There was a parking space blocked off with traffic cones, which I removed myself - I was not going to pay someone else for overnight parking when I was already paying that to the hotel!

Beds were very comfortable - A/C was a bit loud.

The next morning, took a shower - very refreshing, strong pressure - until the hot water went out!

Day of departure - hotel included continental breakfast. The bagels and muffins were stale! We ended up going to Denny's before driving home.

It's good that my boyfriend and I have humor, because most of these things were pretty funny in restrospect - but I left comments with the manager - so hopefully, your future stay there is more enjoyable! Just remember when selecting a hotel/resort/inn, you usually get what you pay for!

• Liked — Very close drive from various activities such as concerts, observatory, museums, shopping.
  • Disliked — Inaccurate billing information, no parking.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank savethesaltonsea

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Honolulu
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Before i booked this hotel, i read alot of reviews, some good some bad, i dont understand the bad ones, for the price and location this was a great stay, clean and nice room, safe, ok breakfast, free parking and a nice safe walk to hollywood blvd, after we checked in we walked to are room i saw a nice couple at the pool having a beer and enjoying the evening, alot of normal people there.

• Liked — Good
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 1paulie1
Universal City Area
BLVD Hotel & Spa
BLVD Hotel & Spa
#90 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Near Universal - N. Hollywood - Burbank? Share your experiences!