“NOt well maintained and staff that don't care.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Pagoda Motel

Royal Pagoda Motel
Ranked #153 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Vancouver, Canada
“NOt well maintained and staff that don't care.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

To start, its too far from the nearest metro station, the phone didn't even work. my friend said his bed had bedbugs, and the people next door kept us up all night being rude and talking loudly on a cell phone out on the balcony and nothing was done about it. This place sucks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank YEthanO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Simply No Good! The cons really outweigh the pros.

I should have heeded people's warnings on the net. That same old man was really rude to us. He sounded like he was yelling at me at one point.

For whatever reason, the second keycard they gave us was not working and when we went down to the front desk to ask about it, the old man gave us an attitude. Very unprofessional!

The room was big enough but old and dingy looking. The bed sheets and blankets had cigarette burns and odd stains. The hardwood floor was nice, at least. Oh, and I did not see any bugs.

Location is perfect if you plan on going to Burbank (not too far via the highway) or lots of places in east LA area, like Chinatown (you're right in it!), Lil Tokyo, Downtown, Hollywood, etc. However if you want to go to the west LA area or the beaches, you'll be on the road for a while.

And another cool thing is we were right near the festivals and events. We heard and saw bike marathon right outside our window one night, and a few mornings later, we could hear drumming from a Chinese festival happening a few blocks away.

Parking is challenging and very squishy. There isn't enough parking spaces, so they squeeze you via parallel-style.

Price was $70 or something around there. Should have been lower. It is a motel. There is no security.

Some creepy man followed my friend and I to our room! Luckily we locked it quickly but he was knocking a minute after we closed the door. Then 2 minutes later, he was knocking again! Luckily he went away. Put simply, we could have been raped.

That was our last night staying there, but I definitely would have found somewhere else to stay after that night!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsJulicious

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

I paid $30 to stay here for a night. It was late at night and I scored a deal on Priceline, so I said to myself "what the heck, let's try it".

The front-desk staff was indeed fairly rude and spoke little English, but I was in Chinatown so I thought of it as trying to get a place in China! The internet connection was somewhat iffy but worked out well at the end.

The room was fairly decent. Can't say it was cozy or plush but it was adequate for a night stay. I wouldn't bring a spouse or partner here for a romantic night, but as a solo traveler I found little to complain about.

Again, for $30, I found myself feeling pretty good :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Synthetic
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Bad service!!! Rude people!! the chinnese guy was really mean didnt respect privacy came n banging & screaming to the door to move vehicle. He assigned you to parking then he interrupts you to move the vehicle !! & on the other guest rooms if u didnt open the door he would go inside your room theres no PRIVACY!! He was really rude & disrespectful!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Girlsjustwant2havefu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I checked in and put my bags in my room after I left for the day when I returned my room was broken into and most items were missing. I called the police and they informed me they have many complaints about this problem.1/18/11

• Stayed January 2011
4 Thank vegasjeeper
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

If you are going to stay here, but expect the Rits Carlton..or even Holiday Inn. Its priced like a basic motel because thats what it is. However the staff is friendly. Its Chinese owned but they speak good English. Several nice restaurants within walking distance. The bus stop is across the street. Its also relatively clean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank elastin
Newfoundland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

This is my fourth time staying at the motel. Every other time has been awesome but this time I did have a few concerns. The first night I went to see the man working as the advertised free wifi wasn't working. He told me it was because of the construction causing the problem. The second night and rest of the week it worked off and on, enough that we were able to check our email and do what needed to be done each day.

When we got up the first morning, the water in the shower was warm, not hot so we turned the heater in the room on to get warmed up once out of shower. After the second day, I went and told the management and he sent the house keeping woman to show me how to work the shower...there's only one tap to turn, one way to get hot water so it wasn't an issue of not knowing how to get hot water but I went anyway and tried to explain that although the water doesn't feel cold on your hand, first thing in the morning most people like a hot shower, not luke warm.

During our week there, they had the parking lot paved which left only 5 or 6 spots in the lot. When we got back, there was nowhere to park. They had an arrangement already made with a lot across the street to pay our parking there for us, so that was a positive.

For me, my biggest concern was the shower. I really appreciate a hot shower in the morning and unfortunately even after bringing it to their attention, I didn't get that privilege.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends