Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
I have not laughed this much in a long time

Reviewed May 12, 2018
adalbert3
Newport Beach, California
The Groundlings Never Disappoint!

Reviewed April 7, 2018

from $96.00
from $35.00
from $42.52
More Info
All reviews sketch comedy no bad seats bought tickets adult humor cast spins performers hilarious melrose stage funniest parking exercise company
Selected filters
Reviewed May 12, 2018

The writing and the performers were outstanding. We went with a few other couples, and we were still all laughing about various skits the next morning when we met for breakfast. We went to the earlier show on Saturday night---it was not too early that we could not go out to dinner and not too late that we could not all go out for a drink and laugh some more about the show. Laughing is such great therapy, and you leave there uplifted and happy.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed April 7, 2018 via mobile

I do not live in the Southern California area but have been to the Groundlings probably 15 times over the last 20 years. The quality of comedic talent here is truly amazing. Over these years, I’ve witnessed hilarious, original characters that I’ve never forgotten, some of the funniest sketches I’ve ever seen (much better than most of SNL), and wonderful improv.

I visited the theater again this past week and decided to see both the current main company production as well as the different late Friday show. Both shows were excellent.....which confirms that I’ve never seen a subpar show here. I’m honestly amazed at their consistency over the years. Most of the shows are sketch comedy performances. Think 12 to 15 sketches each from 5 to 10 minutes in length. Sometimes there is an improv exercise or two.

I’ve also seen the full improv shows which are amazing (this is what they call the Thursday Cooking with Gas show). For first timers, I’d suggest the main company, featured production which runs on Friday night (early show) and two shows on Saturday. If you like what you see, I’d definitely suggest the improv experiences too. If we are in LA for a long weekend, we will sometimes hit the Thursday improv show and then attend the sketch show on Saturday.

To top it all off, the Groundlings offer very, very inexpensive tickets. I’m always amazed that we pay so little for such high quality entertainment.

Long live the Groundlings!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Decided to see the Sunday evening 7:30 show. Was not expecting a full house...not an empty seat! The players are great..sketch scenes were very funny and the improv was extremely well done. This theater is the start to names like Will Farrell, Melissa McCarthy, Phil Hartman, and numerous other comedic names. You can see why. Was an inexpensive and fun night. Was there with a 21 year old who loved it!

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed September 3, 2017

Our family of five loves live comedy and while on vacation in LA, we booked ourselves in to a Groundlings show. Shows are open to kids 16 and up so that was perfect for us. The theatre is small so you're right in the mix. The talented cast was testing out new sketches, many of which were hilarious. Good opportunities for audience participation, too, which means the show will vary every night. We took the opportunity after the show to check out the pictures of Groundlings past and present that line the lobby. So many familiar faces, including the irreplaceable Phil Hartman. We had a blast and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed September 2, 2017

This is a great night out. Tickets are reasonable and the show is very funny. The theater is small and cozy...seemed like every seat has a good view. Beware of audience participation! Only thing I wish they would do is let people get seated as they arrive instead of the cattle call right at show time.

Date of experience: August 2017