“It's worth to pay more - somewhere else”

Hollywood Inn Express North
Ranked #235 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Munich
“It's worth to pay more - somewhere else”
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The location is not bad, but you need to take the bus or metro to get to the "close by" sights like the Walk of Fame or the Kodak Theatre.

The room was rather spacious, but quite dark, gloomy, not especially clean, the floor uneven, some of the towels property of big hotel chains, and the mattress squeaking and uncomfortable or simply old and worn out. During our stay, unlike in other accommodations, I haven't seen anyone using the pool and wouldn't have used it myself. There was a fridge in the room, but it was noisy that we had to switch it off to be able to sleep.

The continental breakfast consists of awful coffee, even worse orange-colored drink, and , if you re lucky / fast enough, a sugar-coated donut. No hot water, no milk, no plates, no napkins.

Wifi was working without problem.

Parking spaces are limited and even if some are available it's not easy to get in / out with a bigger car.

You shouln't expect any help from the personnel. I needed to print out 1 page (tickets booked over the internet) - the receptionist pretended to have never seen a USB stick before, and coulnd't tell any place close by where it might be possible to print.

Altogether the personnel was rather rude and the maid entered the room around 8.30-9.00 am without even knocking (no "do not disturb" sign available). Lucky we were just about to leave anyway.

Most disturbing for us was that, just about half an hour after we had left the hotel and were already on the highway to the next destination, we got a message from the bank that they charged the creditcard with additional 75$. We inquired by phone and were accused to have stolen the bedspread.
Well, what happened was that we put the bedspread aside (folded and put in a corner) on our first evening, the housekeeper removed it the next morning and we haven't seen it for the rest of our stay. Obviously, we didn't miss it as it was old and smelly. After two more calls, talking with the manager and explaining the circumstances, he talked to the housekeeping staff and our money is back now - apparently minus some bank charge, but at least most of it is back.

So, altogether not the best experience - it's ok to stay there for 1-2 nights, but if you can, choose a different accommodation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
Irvine
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I am not a very needy guest. This hotel was a nightmare. Do NOT stay here. I won't even go into details, but they were rude and dirty. You be better off sleeping in the street.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Kahendri

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I phoned up the hotel to see if they had any available rooms. The man on the phone mumbled the whole time (when he actually did speak, there were many silent pauses when he ignored me - making me wonder if he was actually there as i know he hadn't hung up!!) making it hard to understand but found out there was a room available. Checking in was fine, but amazing that he passed the TV remote control as they don't leave it in the rooms. Had a good sleep there. However, the next morning, the continental breakfast was just donuts, and it was in reception too - on a back bench. not comfortable at all. The lady at reception (owner) wasn't there and when I left the office, I saw her peering from behind a hotel room by the carpark and when she saw that i saw her, she quickly disappeared back behind the building (opposite reception office). Upon checking out we had to ring the bell, she wasn't friendly at all, and IF she did provide any answers to us, it was either only "yes" or "no". In our case, it was all "no". We asked if they could hold our luggage until our flight later that evening. "No", then she said she would charge us $15 for our luggage to be held in laundry but that it was at our own risk. Then she said it was not in her area but in the housekeeping area ie. she has no responsibility. Then she added that we had to collect it by 5pm. We decided not to go ahead. We also saw another guest check out, he asked for a receipt at the end and she refused to give one, so he left. (Is this possible - i thought receipts had to be issued when requested from a service? - although there was no service evident here) It seemed that when she attended to guests it was at her inconvenience and that the guests were interrupting her!! I was not impressed. Having read all these other reviews have made me chuckle as I know exactly what they went through and can actually picture it happening.
This is my first ever review I've done for a hotel, and only because it was so shocking that it was almost comical - especially reading all the other guest reviews on this page!! I completely understand the other reviews!!
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!! and if you do book, just book it out of pure curiousity!
I hadn't read any reviews for this hotel beforehand, but upon arriving home decided to read them and it was all shocking, to say the least!! hahaha

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank PosyRama
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 31, 2008

Was fooled by the pictures in hotel.com when I made my reservations. I also should have checked the reviews in this website first before booking a room. Anyway, I made the terrible mistake of bringing my mom and 2 younger siblings who were vacationing from overseas to this ghastly and rundown motel. The room we stayed in was large, but it was old, dirty and absolutely not good for tourists. Even if you are a budget traveler, this place does not even come close to something less than remotely decent. Bad. The front desk reeked so strongly that I wanted to slash my self for even deciding to not cancel our reservations. To make matters worst, they served breakfast in the same smelly office. Breakfast was nothing less than despicable. Don't make the same mistake I did. Do yourself a favor, don't stay here.

• Disliked — everything!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank crismanila77
san francisco
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I was there with my parents and sister, so we were 4 people and had a reservation of one room with 2 double beds . WE reached the hotel at 1:00pm but the manager didnt allow us to enter before 2:00pm as that was the check in time. We had lunch nearby and returned. The manager was highly rude and did not agree that a room was booked for 4 people. To avoid any further arguments I asked how much would I need to pay for 2 extra people and he asked for 50$ per person. I had researched many hotels before that and none had such an expensive guest rate. I asked him to give me the receipt and he bluntly refused. Upon asking the reason he just said that I wudnt give you any receipt of this and you might as well leave as he didnt want us to stay there. He was insane. I called up hotels.com and they spoke to him. He told them that he offered us only 10$/guest and that he is refusing as I tried to hit him!!! On hearing this I immediately left that place!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — the rude manager
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank srg9
Wokingham, Berkshire
Reviewed September 3, 2008

DO NOT - I REPEAT NOT- GO TO THIS HOTEL.

My daughter arrived there on Monday, 1st September 2008 and during her first night, somebody entered her room and stole £500 from her drawer WHILE SHE WAS ASLEEP. When she complained the next morning -not seriously complained but voiced her fears tro get some help - the staff became hostile and angry and accused her of being drunk and losing the money herself which was entirely untrue as she had gone to bed at 10 pm the night before severely jet-lagged. The next day she noticed the door opened inwards by itself so obviously a faulty door but the staff refused to move her and still did not believe her story about being robbed. it has been a NIGHTMARE. The staff won't put us through to her room and even told us 'not to call here again' CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??

DO NOT NOT NOT go to this horrible disgusting HELLHOLE. I have asked hotels.com to blacklist it. Vanessa
We booked the hotel through Hotels.com and we have already complained and will try to get the hotel blacklisted.

• Liked — nolthing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank harrassedmother
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We spent 3 nights there on August. Before we went to Hollywood Express Inn we read through many bad comments here but we though that "It should be fine if we are well prepared". We were wrong! They treated us like we are homelesses begging for a shelter!

Accomodation:
Ofcause, the room was dirty and smelly as you could expected from a cheap hotel. They lied about Wifi internet connection
and Microwave. You have to pay $10 deposit for the remote control, the refrigurator is in a bad shape, the bath room curtain
was dirty and smell like a rotten fish, and lastly, "have your own towel, soap, and shampoo" is my healthy recommendation.

Security:
The neighborhood is unkind especially if you have to come alone at night, beggers are everywhere and number of
noisy cars will wake you up all night (I'm glad that I haven't heart any gun fire yet). On the second day I found that my expansion zipp was opened! Somebody might have tried to open my baggage! Fortunately I locked it securely before I left the room (part of the well prepare things). In responding to my self-awareness, I had no ice bucket and there is a pile of dirt in the bath tub in that day. Perhaps if I intended to left some dollars unattened I might be treated better.

Hospitality:
The manager is not kind. Before I came I called her to ask about direction but she refuse to give anything unless I have booked her room or give her my creditcard number. On the check-out date she phoned me on 11:00 AM and said "Check out time!" I asked her for 15 minutes more for packing the stuff. On 11:15 she called again and told "I have to clean the room". Isn't the check out time is 12:00? Why she keep chasing us after spent 3 awful nights in this shelter?

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family