“This place is awfull, worst staff service ever!”

Hollywood Inn Express South
Ranked #261 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“This place is awfull, worst staff service ever!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

When we arrived to check in we were rudely told by the clerk that we would have to take a seat and wait because he was closing out his shift and there was no power in the motel. We asked to cancel our reservation and were told that the couldn't even confirm we had one let alone cancel it. I called hotels.com, they tried to cancel it and they were told that we had to call the manager in the morning. We called today and the manager refused to refund our money for an uninhabital room. Its his discretion and he chose to have the worst attitude and customer service I have ever experienced!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
stockholm
Reviewed August 1, 2012

hi was at the hollywood inn expsouth for only one night but got a big room with a king bed and lots of space thte rooms are really great its an average just basic hotel or motel but location is a bit far from attractions in ex hollywood but nearer ex downtown los angheles if you re going there near freeway 101 and not to farr from thing to do in la if you want to great fr johnny b .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 28, 2012

When we booked this Hotel on Hotwire, the only things we were told was the area of town it was in, the amenities, such as pool and free breakfast, and that it was a two-star hotel. I decided to take a chance as it was close to Universal Studios, where we were going while in town, and booked it. Once I booked it I got the name of the place and checked it out here on TA and immediately regretted the booking. We decided we had already paid for it and it was only for two nights so we would go ahead and stay there. Never again.

It didn't look so bad at first, but the pool was neither heated, or even available. It was inside a locked fence in the parking lot so we didn't get to use it. The rooms didn't have coffee pots and we discovered when we checked out that there was a microwave, but it was outside the room, in a closet in the walkway, apparently for all to share. Very weird. The ice machine was in a different building across the parking lot and was coin operated.

Once we got in our room and used the restroom is when we started noticing the bad shape the room was in. TP roll holder was missing from wall, so the roll was placed on the toilet tank. Holes in walls and door jambs made me wonder if mice would come join us at night. I don't know if they did or not, but we did hear all the parking lot noise all night.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and got there early as I had read reviews that the paltry donuts served go fast, and therefore was not surprised to find only one box of donuts and a container of corn flakes as breakfast options. We just left and went about our day, not in a hurry to return, but we had one more night. When we did return that night & my son took a shower, the tub faucet shot off the wall and hit him in the leg. I was able to reattach it to the pipe, but the next morning as the rest of us were trying to get showered and ready to go, it shot off again. When I checked out I gave it to the man at the front desk. He was apologetic and offered to let us use the shower in another room, but by that time we were packed and ready to get out of there.

I am ex-military and can sleep anywhere. This reminds me of places I have stayed in other countries. Fine for a guys trip maybe if you are just looking for a place to crash, but not a place to take your wife and kids. As a result of my review, and others I am sure, Hotwire has dropped this place from a two-star to a one-star place. Much more fitting.

Room Tip: Stay in a different part of town. We didn't even see anything nice in the area
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingDad_PTFC

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Foster City, California
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've stayed at many 2 star hotels and this is my worse experience. I've read some of the negative reviews about this place and they were right.

Checking in: the clerk looked up my profile and had the confused look as if they didn't have a room for me when I booked 4 months prior. Then they spoke their native language as if something was wrong (rude) and started laughing about it. Never have I had to answer so many questions to check-in at a hotel ("Who did you book through?" "When did you book the place?"). Then they mentioned that I can't get a refund at this hotel and this was after they claim to found my room. The clerk/owner asked if I wanted save 10% by paying with cash. At that moment, I had a feeling that something isn't with these guys. Instead, I paid by credit to be on the safe side.

The Room: Upon entering, the room does not match the photos they posted. I noticed there were no hangers, just a rusted bar. The carpet is dark - near black with heavy stains everywhere; can't tell what color it used to be! No alarm clock, iron, ironboard, bedside lamps, and not even the usual bible in every hotel drawers! Look out the window and I saw pieces of junk dumped on the sidewalk (As if they were never picked up for decades).

Bathroom: Mold spots can be seen on the ceiling and the shower head was dirty - looked as old as the hotel (50s, 60s?).

It was late and i was tired, and thought I could hold out till morning but had to check out and find another hotel to stay at. Upon checking out of the hotel, the clerk wouldn't let me check-out; even though my credit card company said that I'm supposed to fill out a form. Either way, my credit card company said they will help me get my refund from these guys.

The room looks more appropriate for someone making business with a prostitute or set up a drug cartel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 217.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank D T
Reading
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I would not stay at this hotel again. The amenities were clean and comfortable but the hotel needed to be refurbished and the area where it was was awful. There were no restaurants nearby and the litter on the pavements was really bad. In fact we were due to stay one more night when we got back to Los Angeles but we booked another night in Palm Springs and drove to the airport from there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
hayward ca
Reviewed May 2, 2012

we stayed at the hollywood inn express south for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. the staff were great and and very helpful. the room was large as well as functional. the morning breakfast was good and included coffee, juice, cereal and pastries. this motel is great value for the money it costs to stay there. the location is great. we will definitely stay at this motel when we next visit l.a.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank budeckert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I came from Philly to LA to run the marathon this past weekend so it was important to stay somewhere inexpensive that could guarantee a stress-free and restful couple of nights prior to the race. This place did the job. Be forewarned, you will get the bare minimum here (like no bedside lamps!). Everything is outdated, the WiFi is temperamental, and you will be hard pressed to get a smile from the staff. However, none of those factors made the stay here bad. At the end of the day I had a clean, comfortable bed and a spot-on 4 AM wake up call. For under $70/night what more could I have asked for?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends