“Wow! Good food on Olvera Street!”
Review of La Luz del Dia

La Luz del Dia
Ranked #634 of 10,753 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Description: Established on September 16, 1959. The restaurant is cafeteria-style, serving typical Michoacan style Mexican food. Carnitas, champurrado and handmade tortillas are a favorite.
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I'm stuck on a federal jury across the 101 and got tired of the government cafeteria. Wow! This was worth going back through security!!

As other reviewers said, the fresh tortillas are fantastic. I had combo #6, carnitas, rice, beans, and two fresh corn tortillas for under $7. Yum!

Enjoyed eating out on the patio, facing the plaza.

I'll be back!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Truth From A Long Time Customer -- My parents were married across the street from this place in 1965. I have been coming here since 1966 and the current management has destroyed this place. The quality of the carnitas used to be the best with a unique flavor that any competitor couldn't match. Now they are dry with gristle and the quantity has been decreased by thirty percent. I guess they need to pay for those 99 cent plastic plates they now use instead of the old school disposible plates. The associates used to be in good spirits and now they look scared of losing their job. I questioned them about the quantity and quality but they were afraid to talk about it. Most of them have seen me there from childhood and I never thought I would be writing this review. I live in the San Fernando Valley and have always gone out of my way to eat there. I have always recommended La Luz Del Dia but now I recommend Carillos in San Fernando. Carrillo's Tortilleria Inc. * 1242 Pico St. * San Fernando, CA 91340 Phone 818-365-1636 * Fax 818-365-3176
I hope management wakes up and realize there name to fame is there carnitas and by changing the quality and quantity it will be a grave mistake.

2  Thank Nick V
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I'd read about this place and on a trip over from Australia just had to check it out. So good! That's the thought that went through my mind as I bit into my pork filled soft taco. The beef stew tostado was incredible as well! My partner and I ate there for under $20 total and were satisfied for most of the day! I honestly don't know how I'm ever going to be able to eat 'Mexican' back home again!

Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family's been eating here for over 40 years and its still our favorite place & go to restaurant especially when we have out-of-town guests.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I used to ride my bike here in the 1950's from my home near Elysian Park. Although my bride and I left L.A. in 1964, we still make a point to come here when passing through. I love the raucous line waiting for your plates, and of course, the carnitas, tacos, and all the rest, everything purely Mexican. The tortillas are made for you right in front of you by ladies in full Mexican costume. A tray full of hot, great smelling food on the front patio, where you can watch all of L.A. go by, or hire a mariachi to sing "Las Mananita" is like heaven. I am 10 years old again. Now, where did I lock up my Schwinn?