“A great food court; not a tourist attraction.”

Grand Central Market
Ranked #8 of 210 Shopping in Los Angeles
Las Vegas, Nevada
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“A great food court; not a tourist attraction.”
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I've been working in downtown Los Angeles on a temporary basis for a few weeks and I've been going to the Grand Central Market for lunch quite often. I love it as a food court, but no one should ever make a special trip here. It is not a tourist attraction.

There are a number of authentic food stands, a few specialty booths, some produce and you can even get your eyebrows threaded. The food is very good. The prices are awesome. There is tons of character because it doesn't feel like a typical American market. It has a Mexican flair to it. Most everyone in it speaks Spanish.

I enjoy going there. It is simple, cheap and makes for good people watching. But I will never go there once my job ends. It's not even close to being like the Original Farmers Market in the Hollywood area. So, please don't mistake this for a tourist attraction. It isn't.

1 Thank mauiwolf

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Harrisonburg, Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Fun Time!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stumbled across the Market. We were taking the Metro and stopping at different places on the map just site seeing. As we walked down the street we thought we would just swing by the Market to see what it had, Well my husband loved it. We went down all the aisles and took in all the different foods. We had an early dinner and bought pastries for breakfast the next day. If you enjoy food (Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Fruits and Veggies) its worth a stop. We also enjoyed sitting and eating dinner taking in the locals and tourists. They were quick to clean tables as people left and the workers at the Japanese food stall were super nice, I loved my Authentic California Roll!!!

Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Downtown's version of the Farmer's Market”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I don't know why it too me so long to check out the Grand Central Market, but I'm glad I finally did. There are a lot of food vendors, produce, meats, bulk foods, and more. I ate at Sarita's and my pupusas were great. I was there during the lunch hour and there was a big crowd. I liked the atmosphere and want to go back to try lots of other places to eat. By itself, I don't know if this attraction is worth a trip downtown unless you really like these types of markets, but if you are doing other things downtown, I think this would be a fun place to see.

Santa Barbara, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Traditional market, fabulous street food!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a traditional market (think overripe bananas at 4 pounds for a dollar, unusual cuts of meat and fish, and piles of spices and chillies). It is not, however, a Farmer's Market - no-one here is worried about organic veg or grass fed beef, for example. You can expect some amazing and authentic Mexican street food at great prices, and if you don't speak Spanish you need to point at what you want and guess what type of meat it is. Fun, budget place to go and a taste of real Los Angeles.

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth it unless you're there already”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Nothing special about this place, I don't see why it is a tourist attraction. No mariachis, average food, a lot of smog.

Visited January 2012