“Yummy, authentic Indian cuisine”

Anarkali Indian Restaurant
Ranked #4,190 of 10,744 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: La Brea
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We had the meat samosa, lamb tikka, chicken tikka and chicken curry with garlic and cheese naan. The food was very fresh and the meat was tender. The service and value was great too. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for authentic Indian cuisine.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

And yet, wasn't fantastic. I actually ordered delivery (they provide a great order-online service); I'd been craving good Indian food for ages, since there is a distinct lack of it in LA, and decided not to wait to go with a friend.

I ordered my three staples of Indian food in the US - Chicken Saag, Chana Masala, & Dal. The chicken saag was by far the best dish - very tasty! I'd order that again in a heartbeat. The Chana Masala was unlike any other version of the dish that I've ever had, but it was still quite tasty. I'd also order that again. Both of these dishes were perfectly spicy - I requested medium spice, and they followed through (which can be difficult to find at Indian restaurants in the US, where American palates usually prefer duller spiced dishes).

The third dish, the Tardka Dal, was a huge disappointment. Admittedly, they have two different kinds, so perhaps their other offering is better, but this one was essentially yellow mush that had no flavor except for a vague, bitter taste of pepper. Really unappetizing.

The Naan & the rice were both good standards. A boon of my ordering online was also that they included two samosas with my order for free! The Samosas were okay - they were meat, which isn't my personal favorite anyway, and a little dry. Still, a nice bonus.

Delivery took a while, but their website did warn me that it would take 45 - 60 minutes (and it was just over 60 when the delivery guy arrived), so just be prepared for a wait. Their portions are certainly generous, and everything was packed in great little plastic containers (which is a real plus, considering that many other Indian restaurants put their curries in aluminum-and-cardboard-topped take away dishes that leak and don't keep very well). I was particularly impressed with that, actually.

All in all, I'll happily order from here again to try some of their other dishes - a positive experience, if not quite as stellar as I'd hoped.

1  Thank srmwrites8642
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We went here many times when I lived in LA. When I go back to visit, I make it a point to go back. I've eaten Indian food everywhere and still haven't found anywhere better! Their naan bread is still the best I've had...prepared the traditional way. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

I've been going to Anarkali on a fairly regular basis since first discovering it 10+ years ago. This is my absolute favorite spot for Indian food in LA. Best chicken tikka. I highly recommend the chicken tikka appetizer as a start to any meal here. .

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Enjoy a spicy chicken tikka masala in your private booth.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook