“Nice, but not at the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of L A Rose Cafe

L A Rose Cafe
Ranked #746 of 9,895 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Asian, Filipino
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Washington DC
“Nice, but not at the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were staying in LA, awaiting a plane to Cabo the next day. We went to Hollywood (horrible traffic) and decided to eat Pinoy at a local establishment that was near the walk of fame (on the other side of the US 101, close to the hospital). Nice enough restaurant, but the food was way over-priced and not really that appealing (she had sinigang and pancit and I had breakfast). Might try other restaurants next time (Carson seemed to be loaded with Filipino food).

• Visited January 2014

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The food was very good but the service was impersonal...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We visited this cute Filipino restaurant this afternoon. The ambience inside was impressive though one would not have guessed that from the outside...

The food was really delicious. Service was a bit tardy even though the place was not all that busy. One of us was still waiting to be served the main course even after the four others at our table had finished theirs! And the dish that was delayed was marked "Today's Special" in the menu!

Visited December 2013
Monterey, California
“Not As Expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I came here because my brother recommended that we bring our mom here for Mother's Day. He spoke highly of the place because of the owner who made him feel welcome. But that was three weeks prior to this.

Upon arriving they first said they were full, but they managed to find a table at the back room. The server was nice but it took a while for the server to come. Plus I got confused as there were like three servers coming/going. I didn't know who our server was. I figured it was Mother's Day so it was busy. In fact, there was one customer who had been waiting for a long time for someone to wait on him. He had to get up and find someone to take his order. Poor guy, had to wait a good 20 minutes. We thought at first he was waiting for someone. It was busy there that I later saw another person (who he does not know) share a table with him. Interesting.

The selection of food is great - if you're not a vegetarian. Being a vegeteraian, my choices were somewhat limited. I settled for the fresh lumpia. It was ok but I had better ones before. Another disappointment was that it took a long time for someone to wait on us and also fill our glasses with water. It seem like they were in a hurry to get the customers moving but they were sure slow in serving/asking if we needed anything else.

This was my first time at L.A. Rose Cafe and I was proud that it was Filipino. But, boy, I was disappointed. I didn't like it as much and I felt rushed/uncomfortable. I also think I had my expectations high.

What I like was that there was a piano player. It added ambience to the place. I would probably give this restaurant another chance to see if it's really worth it. This time I plan to go during a non-holiday. I may have just gone at a busy time. Otherwise, I would have rated this place as poor. We'll see.

• Visited May 2013
La Crescenta, California
“Great Ambience and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had lunch there today with family. Its a Filipino Spanish fusion in Los Angles close to Melrose. Food is really good. We had Tapa,Chicken chicken,curry,Bangus, tocino and a Belgian waffle and chocolate cheesecake for desert. Price is average but its well worth with there great service. Owner kept us happy with unlimited coffee, soda and good conversation. Will be back soon

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic Filipino Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

When you get in the restaurant, you will feel like you're in a tropical place. All the capiz shells hanging in the ceiling as decorations makes you feel at home. The staff are warm and friendly. We ordered daing na bangus (grilled fish), pancit (noodles), sinigang (sour soup) and tocino. Great food!

• Visited March 2013