“An Oppulent Classic”

Musso & Frank Grill
Ranked #22 of 9,888 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Central Saanich, Canada
“An Oppulent Classic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a gorgeous antique restaurant. Original food from the menu when the restaurant opened in the 1930s. Waiters in their classic attire. Food was solid, but nothing spectacular. Martinis very nice, house red was garbage. Price definitely steep. Service was friendly, if a bit forced.

• Visited August 2012

• Korean first
Montesson, France
“Poor service, shabby decor, average food, watch your check”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

The welcome we received a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday lunchtime was less than warm. We were shown to our table by a grumpy waiter. The first impression of the restaurant is the tired looking decor but we were hungry and had read the reviews and were looking forward to lunch. Our waiter was less than attentive. Perhaps it was our British accents but he seemed either not to understand us, or was trying to ignore us. I ordered Sauerbraten with Potato Pancakes ($24). The meat was OK but the pancakes had clearly been made a long time in advance and were cold and flacid. We tried to order dessert but the waiter said he was too busy to take our order. That was a first for us in any place, anywhere in the world. We asked for the check, paid and went to leave. Then the waiter said he had given us the wrong check. No apology, in fact he became a little aggressive. I suggested I pay the difference but was told by the lady on the cash desk that she had cancelled the original transaction and I should pay the full amount again. By this time I had major suspicions about the place and asked to see the manager. He was also, apparently, too busy to see me. So I paid again and, guess what?, when I checked my credit card account I had been charged twice. I called my bank to challenge this but was told I should have insisted on a slip showing the transaction had been voided. Stupid me, I had taken the lady on the cash desk at her word. I then had to contact the restaurant. They imemdiately acknowledged the error but it took over a week to get my money back. Of course, Visa use different exchange rates for buying and selling so my refund was 10% less than the sum originally paid. Without doubt, this was an average meal with the most hassle I have ever had.

• Visited July 2012
Carbondale, Illinois
“If I lived in L.A.this would be my favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Forget the fact that anyone who was anyone in Hollywood has eaten here in the last 100 years. I would love this place if it was in the middle of Kansas, This place takes me back to my childhood when a nice restaurant was a special place, where you were greated at the door and served by grownups, where the menu is not determined by focus groups, and does not have a single picture on it. If you are old enough to remember when restaurants like this were commonplace, or want to experience this for the first time, don't miss Musso & Frank.

• Visited August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Best of all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have visited Hollywood & Southern California for about 30 years. However 12 years ago we discovered Musso & Frank.What a treasure. Everything on the menu excellent. Superb management and staff. Breakfast and Dinner. Ruebens martinis the best in the World .Mark an outstanding Family Manager. . Do bear in mind we travel 6000 miles round trip to "stop off" at Musso & Frank. Also of course it is the oldest Restaurant in Hollywood.Looking forward to our next visit. Should have placed this review 12 years ago. UNFORTUNATELY NO BROADBAND/WI FI THEN.M & A Tullamore IRELAND EUROPE.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Michael S
Los Angeles, California
“Our Bucket List for restaurants now has one less ....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I rate this restaurant 'excellent', not for the food, which was very good .. but for the entire experience. Dining should be an experience, I think ... and this was just that. Who doesn't want to go to an almost 100 year old restaurant and see what it is all about. Well, it is all about old Hollywood and it really shouldn't be missed. Why go to a chain restaurant where everything tastes the same ... eat outside the box ... We had 6:00 reservations and were promptly seated .. our original booth was a little small, so we asked to reseated ... no problem. That is a point I want to make, because in many places, to be asked to be reseated is the kiss of death ... not here. In fact, we were seated in what we were told (now remember ... this is old Hollywood and there is a lot of embellishment!) was Mickey Cohen's booth. But it made sense, as it was the last booth in the back of the restaurant (or the first booth to the right as one enters from the parking lot) ... and I believe old Mickey probably liked to watch the 'action' and the 'actors' as the night evolved.
We had a great waiter .. been around for years ... and also told us we were in Mickey's booth ... his name is Juan and he is a delight. We started off with cocktails ... me a champagne cocktail that was served to the table with the glass with the peel and sugar cube and the split ... not pre made somewhere in the back ... he had his usual, vodka rocks with three olives ... then the appetizer ....
Oh, the appetizer ... well documented in other reviews here, but I must add my two cents: stuffed celery ... OMG ... sounds common? It isn't ... on a bed of ice with lettuce shreds come 5 (only 5) stuffed celery sticks ... a bleu cheese concoction that even now makes my mouth remember! Yes, expensive at $8 ... but worth every bite!
He had the lettuce wedge ... and then on to dinner ... he had the shortribs, which were delectable .. I had the hangar steak, which was outstanding.
And the bread ... wonderful, just wonderful. After dinner, I had some exotic tasting coffee drink called a Lava Lamp and he had a lovely glass of port.
The service was excellent ... not hurried ...but the pacing was good. And the price for all we had was very reasonable. Believe me, we have paid lots more for lots less.
The restaurant is a must see for anyone who values the Old Hollywood ... I would have liked to have seen a little more dressing up ... shorts and tee shirts really seemed out of place, but that is just my opinion. (But can you imagine the old days? .....)
A lovely evening at a place out of the past, trying hard to stay in the present.
Thanks, Musson and Frank ... you should be proud!

• Visited July 2012